Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-27-2018, 01:55 PM   #1

Winter Camping in Our Forester

So first real winter camping in our Forester and thought I would share observations. En-route to Quartzsite and had a few days camping in the snow and cold. Was still winterized but wanted to see how warm the camper and water bays would stay. Temps got down to 2 but were mostly in the low teens. With the furnace set at 65 it ran allot. Exterior walls were very cold and windows had a layer of ice on the inside in the morning. Camper stayed in the low to mid 50s.

The water pump bay got down to 21 and was regularly below 32. With the furnace running I could feel warm air blowing in. Just seems like it didn’t hold any heat and quickly returned below 32 when the furnace shut off.

The sewer bay seemed a little warmer, still in the 20’s, which is odd since there is no obvious source of heat other that the arctic pads on the bottom of the black & grey tanks. They were on the whole time.

I did notice the water pump bay could be made smaller and just warm the area behind the metal door. So I stuffed towels and newspaper along the top which should reduce the size of the heated part. Whenever I get home again will probably add some insulation to the bay to seal the area better and create a smaller warm area just around the pump.

May also consider some type heat tape to warm the area before next winter camping trip.

BTW, DW not too keen about winter camping and says we need to spend the winter in Florida!

Appreciate hearing your thoughts, experience and solutions.

Thanks!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0836.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	487.3 KB
ID:	161032
Old 01-27-2018, 05:54 PM   #2

We love winter camping but it's usually just for a weekend. Nice dog
Full Time in the Summer, soon
Part Time in the Winter
Days Camped, Not Enough
CZNEDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 05:59 PM   #3
Kanadian Kamper

Northern Florida was below freezing a couple of nights last week.

Seems everyone is winter camping this year 😁😁

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 07:42 AM   #4

We spent the last two months in our Forester and had below freezing temps several nights -- and a few days. With a brisk northerly wind, we went through the propane quickly, even with an electric heater supplementing. These are not made for winter camping unless you're out for just a couple of days.
SkipnTerri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 04:13 PM   #5

We have a Forest River Sunseeker and with any RV you should get the alco bubble wrap foil for ALL the windows. You are losing a lot of heat thru the windows. Also we bought some Camping world pillows or you can use thick 2" foam and make them as well. Main thing is you plug the fans/vents (3 on our unit) You loose a lot of heat there as well. I would be careful about insulating certain areas as you may encase the plumbing outside with the cold and wind up freezing your pipes. Those small items will help a lot with maintaining the heat as well the cold in the hot summers. All the items would cost you less than $75.
mrpalmermr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 04:25 PM   #6

See http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...es-151999.html

Our Sunseeker worked perfectly. Could have done it all winter.

I cut reflectix to each window size and slid them behind the shades, used a dehumidifier, put vent covers in vents and a nice blanket to block off cab. Worked great and made a massive difference in comfort as we have single pane windows.
Old 01-29-2018, 04:36 PM   #7

Question Winter camping

How do they sell that bubble wrap for the windows? Sheets and you cut to size? Also, does camping world have it? Thanks in advance.
atemplesr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 04:44 PM   #8

I have read on the forum that condensation is a big problem in the winter. Using a dehumidifier might help prevent that inside condensation from freezing on your windows.

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
2015 Salem Hemisphere 263RL
CampingGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 05:10 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by atemplesr View Post
How do they sell that bubble wrap for the windows? Sheets and you cut to size? Also, does camping world have it? Thanks in advance.
The Reflectix is sold by the roll at Home Depot / Lowe’s.
1930 lbs CCC
2014 Jeep Rubicon JK
Going where the weather suits my clothes.
Steeljag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 06:35 PM   #10

for cold weather this is what we have done while still winterized and traveling to warmer climates.
Our Sunseeker has the bed option above the driver so we drop the center mattress down and then drape a large quilt over the bed down to the floor separating the drivers compartment from the living area. We close the privacy curtain which helps isolate the upper compartment from the living area as well. This in itself makes a huge difference in heating the living area.
We purchased a Vornado electric heater that is thermostatically controlled placing it on the floor near the front of the cabin but far enough away from the quilt for proper ventilation. When sleeping we set the heater at 68-69 and it keeps the cabin at that temp. We tested this past Dec and found that it will maintain the desired temp easily. One point regarding windy cold nights....we do bring the slide in to seal off and reduce the size of the compartment that has to be heated.
We do not yet insulate the windows with the above mentioned material but do have several of those insulated sun shades for the windshield that we use on our larger windows in the living area. We also have black out drapes that we made that we cover our sleeping area windows with and have added three foam inserts for the vents. Using a spring rod we have attached a cover to it and it hangs over the entrance door covering all of the door from the top to the bottom. The spring rod fits between the two upper cabinets.
Lastly, we bought an electric blanket and cover our rear full size bed which is the icing on the cake so to speak. We have stayed quite warm and comfortable with this set up.
We run dry and winterized until we reach warmer climates. Even though we have artic pacs and can run the furnace at will, we prefer to be safe and avoid the chance of freezing a pipe and do not add water. For those that surely may wonder, we do flush the toilet using washer solvent that is good to -20. We have never had any issues doing this FWIW.

wogden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 07:52 PM   #11

I hang a heavy blanket between the cab and coach, where most of the heat loss comes from the cab. I also use reflectix on all cab windows. Sometimes, if no wind I will carefully use my vinyl windshield cover. (The magnets on the corners can really scratch your paint.) I use foam core boards( available at art supply and framing stores), which I cut to size of windows and skylights for added insulation. Foam pillow inserts are used in the skylights. I have a small space heater with automatic thermostat. I found a 12v electric blanket at a truck stop. This is really handy when dry camping. Sometimes I'll cover the side door also with a blanket or foam coare. There is alot of heat loss from this door.
mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 07:59 PM   #12

Ps- wouldn't it be nice if there was an available option of extra insulation and dual pane windows for all of us winter travelers. But, also great in summer too; keeping heat out.
mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 10:27 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocsDad View Post
See http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...es-151999.html

Our Sunseeker worked perfectly. Could have done it all winter.

I cut reflectix to each window size and slid them behind the shades, used a dehumidifier, put vent covers in vents and a nice blanket to block off cab. Worked great and made a massive difference in comfort as we have single pane windows.
Nice Photo !!!
We use the Reflectix in all windows,,, but it is to keep the heat out !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping, forester, winter