Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2014, 03:34 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 268
Winter using rv

First, I'm not looking for anyone's opinion on whether or not to do it this way. I've used the fresh water tank for a couple of years with my Sunseeker and haven't had any problems doing it this way, till today.
I usually put 2 gallons of antifreeze in the fresh water tank. Empty the hot water heater, then bypass it. Turn on the pump and run it through all faucets and toilet. Today I do it the same way and it doesn't run through. I can hear a slight hum of the pump, but its like there's no antifreeze to pump in. I'm level and in the same spot I winterized it the other years. The really strange part is I turned the knob for the fresh water tank to see if it would come out and it didn't. I found another thread where someone put 9 gallons in and be had the same problem. I know the knob is in the correct position, before anyone asks that.
I was going to go out and get a couple more gallons tonight, but after reading about the guy with 9 gallons and still nothing I thought I would check here first for ideas. By the way, in the thread I found there were no answers, but other people with the same experience. Kind of leaves me scratching my head especially since I've done it this way for several years.
Brian217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 03:47 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,498
I know this isn't your answer but I'd put a winterizing kit on it so you don't have to put it in the fw tank.

$20.00 at most camping centers.

BTW I bet 2 gallons isn't enough.

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 03:50 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 268
I probably will install a kit at some point, but just can't figure out why it's worked for years and now it doesn't.
Brian217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 03:59 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian217 View Post
I probably will install a kit at some point, but just can't figure out why it's worked for years and now it doesn't.
If the pump was working recently I'd suspect not enough antifreeze to be picked up in the tank.
Albeit possible the pump is bad?
Tank could have sagged some?


Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 04:03 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 268
I did use the fresh water tank over Labor Day, but I guess it could have gone bad. It has a quiet, constant hum even when faucets are closed. When I open a faucet I don't hear the loud noise I usually hear, but, there is a difference when I have the pump on and off. I get a gurgling from the faucet when its on.
Brian217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 04:06 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Oakman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Jefferson County, MO
Posts: 5,410
Since youíve done it this way before without issue then my guess would be that either the fresh water tank has shifted or the pickup line within the tank has shifted.

Also check to make sure the pickup line on the pump from the fresh water tank is tight. A slightly loose connection allows the pump to suck air instead of fluids.

Iím not familiar with how the fresh water tanks are installed in Sunseekers but Iím amazed you were able to winterize with just two gallons in the fresh water tank.
__________________


Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 04:06 PM   #7
Average Joe
 
MrJoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Mechanicsville, MD
Posts: 689
Do you see pink in the filter housing? Mine did that when I left the tank drain open....
__________________
Joe and Karen
2014 Sunseeker 2450sf

Southern Maryland and Beyond!

MrJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 04:08 PM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post

Iím not familiar with how the fresh water tanks are installed in Sunseekers but Iím amazed you were able to winterize with just two gallons in the fresh water tank.
Me to!

My sabre takes 4 minimum!



Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 04:14 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 268
I'm going to pick up a couple more gallons tonight. Maybe something did shift. I hate when something that normally takes 10 minutes takes up a lot of the afternoon!
Brian217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 04:28 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 1,748
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian217 View Post
First, I'm not looking for anyone's opinion on whether or not to do it this way. I've used the fresh water tank for a couple of years with my Sunseeker and haven't had any problems doing it this way, till today.
I usually put 2 gallons of antifreeze in the fresh water tank. Empty the hot water heater, then bypass it. Turn on the pump and run it through all faucets and toilet. Today I do it the same way and it doesn't run through. I can hear a slight hum of the pump, but its like there's no antifreeze to pump in. I'm level and in the same spot I winterized it the other years. The really strange part is I turned the knob for the fresh water tank to see if it would come out and it didn't. I found another thread where someone put 9 gallons in and be had the same problem. I know the knob is in the correct position, before anyone asks that.
I was going to go out and get a couple more gallons tonight, but after reading about the guy with 9 gallons and still nothing I thought I would check here first for ideas. By the way, in the thread I found there were no answers, but other people with the same experience. Kind of leaves me scratching my head especially since I've done it this way for several years.
Cut your losses(2gals antifreeze) top the fresh water tank with water and see what happens. If it pumps, I suspect either the feed line was not covered for some reason, or your pump didn't have enough antifreeze volume to start the draw cycle.

Switch to a bypass kit and go that route the remainder of your time with the unit.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 07:46 PM   #11
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 77
I agree with "still kickin". If you install a by-pass kit you will be able to winterize with 2 gallons.
I have a 5th wheel with the by pass system and I over do it and only use 3 gallons.


Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
bop11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 08:04 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 10,907
Here's a thought: Maybe in the past you had a couple of gallons of water in the FW tank before you added the AF, so you may have actually had 3-4 gals of liquid. But this time it was really empty, and 2 gal isn't enough to get to the pump.
__________________
1988 Coleman Sequoia - popup (1987-2009) - outlasted 3 Dodge Grand Caravans!
2012 Roo19 - hybrid (2012-2015)

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 08:26 PM   #13
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 41
Not a expert in this by any means, but to me it sounds like one of 2 things:
1. It's sucking air somewhere. If you have the small bulb type housing with a small filter in it on the intake side of the pump I would look at that first. If you took the filter out and didn't turn the bulb all the way to the lock position it would be sucking air there. There is also a o-ring gasket in that assembly that could be bad or misaligned.
2. The pump has seized up.

All this is assuming that you are 100% sure you only used 2 gallons previously. I would disconnect the line at the suction side and put a hose in a gallon and if it primes and pumps you either are sucking air somewhere before that point or you were mistaken and need more antifreeze to operate. If it's not working I would guess you are going to be the proud owner of a new pump.


Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
rdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 08:55 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 268
Rockfordroo, I was actually thinking about that a little earlier. The last trip I used the fs tank I opened the valve when we were done at the campground and let it drain. I've never driven with it open before, so I was thinking maybe with the water sloshing around all of it probably did empty out, while other times I shut the valve before leaving and probably still had a little in it. I think I will install the bypass. We never really used the fs tank when we had travel trailers, but do find we use it a few times a year on longer trips.
Brian217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 07:45 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
trdutch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Lake Wylie
Posts: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian217 View Post
Rockfordroo, I was actually thinking about that a little earlier. The last trip I used the fs tank I opened the valve when we were done at the campground and let it drain. I've never driven with it open before, so I was thinking maybe with the water sloshing around all of it probably did empty out, while other times I shut the valve before leaving and probably still had a little in it. I think I will install the bypass. We never really used the fs tank when we had travel trailers, but do find we use it a few times a year on longer trips.

If you left the low point drain open and drove
You are empty!
This was talked about on my thread "What came out of my hot water tank"
Bernoulli's principle sucked the tank dry
__________________
I never saw a Hearse towing a Trailer
'71 Dads VW camper pop up Van
'78.....tents
'93 Coleman pop ups (I'm Dad)
'04 Fleetwood Jamboree 26q
'14 Sunseeker 2860DS
trdutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 08:19 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Gaylord, MI
Posts: 160
I would think if any drains are open, including low point, you would notice when adding antifreeze.
biznsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 09:07 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 268
I added 2 more gallons of antifreeze. That did the trick, so I probably never had the fresh water tank completely empty in the past. I will be installing the bypass for next year so I don't have to clean out the tank in the spring.
Brian217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 09:39 AM   #18
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian217 View Post
I added 2 more gallons of antifreeze. That did the trick, so I probably never had the fresh water tank completely empty in the past. I will be installing the bypass for next year so I don't have to clean out the tank in the spring.


Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
winter

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:26 AM.