Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-10-2017, 08:16 PM   #1

Winterized - FULL fresh water tank? Solved - misread.

I'm sure this is the first of many questions - hopefully a stupid one.

Just picked up a new to us 3170ds. They did the walk through and showed us everything and then "winterized" it before we left. Northern IL, so it will be cold tonight (thankfully not very cold until Sunday).

I was told it was rewinterized and it has the pink stuff in the sink/shower/bags on the faucets etc. But the fresh water tank is showing full? It is on an angle on the driveway but its not on a crazy hill - easily walk back.

The black and grey are both showing empty, the lpg is almost full, but the fresh shows all lights.

Thoughts - concerns? I think because it will only get down to 32 tonight we'll be ok, and they will be getting a call tomorrow.

Thanks.
Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 08:22 PM   #2

It should be empty. Look for a low point drain valve to see if you have water in the tank.
CT Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 08:32 PM   #3

found something on the passenger side near the real axle - sure looks promising.

I opened the valve(black) behind that blue pipe, but what came out was decidedly pink water (ant-freeze treated).

Would they have filled it up all the way? 5pm on Friday... just saying.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	drain2.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	245.2 KB
ID:	129559  
Old 02-10-2017, 08:33 PM   #4

Faulty indicator light? You could open the drains, should be both a tank drain and a low point drain (prob two one red one blue). Maybe briefly run the water pump and see if you are drawing water from tank (use a pot or pan so it doesn't go down drain)
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 08:47 PM   #5
Site Team

Do not open red and blue low point drains. The system has antifreeze in it. Under the unit you should see a drain near the FW tank. It may have just a plastic plug in it. Open that drain it should be clear or white . If there is water in the FW tank it will run out. You should not put antifreeze in the FW tank and unless the dealer has never winterized a unit before there should be no antifreeze in the FW tank.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 08:48 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimber45 View Post
Faulty indicator light? You could open the drains, should be both a tank drain and a low point drain (prob two one red one blue). Maybe briefly run the water pump and see if you are drawing water from tank (use a pot or pan so it doesn't go down drain)
Right, but they had filled it up for our testing the pump so I guess I can't honestly say... Either way there's no reason to leave antifreeze in it right? I can safely empty those drains?
Old 02-10-2017, 08:50 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
Do not open red and blue low point drains. The system has antifreeze in it. Under the unit you should see a drain near the FW tank. It may have just a plastic plug in it. Open that drain it should be clear or white . If there is water in the FW tank it will run out. You should not put antifreeze in the FW tank and unless the dealer has never winterized a unit before there should be no antifreeze in the FW tank.
Thanks - back out to the driveway!
Old 02-10-2017, 08:55 PM   #8

There should be a separate drain for the fresh water tank in addition to the low point drains. I'm not familiar with Sunseekers but I have read that the valve for the fresh water drain may not be on the outside but in one of the compartments. Maybe someone with a Sunseeker can give you a place to locate it. You may do a you tube search and find a answer there also, lots of RV you tube videos and a lot of subjects.
Camped 2016-71, 2017-33, 2018-29 booked
KT4W
BooBoo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 08:58 PM   #9

I'd be draining everything and re winterizing myself. Not even my camper and I'm not going to sleep well thinking that some idiot at the dealer filled the tank for the walk through then didnt drain it. I wouldnt trust someone else work and risk freezing up your bran new rig.
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 09:14 PM   #10
Site Team

See link below. Others with Sunseeker had similar problems but turned out to be bad control panel.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...el-121628.html

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 09:22 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
See link below. Others with Sunseeker had similar problems but turned out to be bad control panel.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...el-121628.html
It wasn't a bad panel. It was a badly labelled panel... and a slightly nervous new owner.

Apologies all. I was reading the battery. Which I am happy to report is full. I will never lie to you even at my own expense. I was really worried about waking up to a huge ice cube and split lines. Thanks again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	idiot.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	202.5 KB
ID:	129560  
Old 02-10-2017, 10:58 PM   #12

My panel is similar, the light refers to the caption your finger covers up when you press the button, not the one that is visible. Drives me crazy. May all you issues with your new RV be this serious.
Towing 2016 Chevy Sonic LT
TLAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 12:23 AM   #13

Always better to be safe and ask instead of suffering the consequences.

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 03:16 PM   #14

Don't worry! You aren't the first one to mis-read that panel! I still find myself counting down from the top to match the lights with the buttons after 3 years [emoji2]
jrwalkerpa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 05:29 PM   #15

Winterized - FULL fresh water tank?

On the right side of the bed is an access panel. Pull the panel and you can see the fresh water tank. That will tell. Water tank is under the bed. Oh, the drain for the tank is on the right side of the house filter. Quarter turn valve behind the black plastic panel. May be a little difficult see and get to.
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 05:36 PM   #16

Thanks for the info Garrette.
Old 02-22-2017, 06:40 PM   #17

labels

We put a dyno label maker in the coach permenently. Takes care of W for water etc. Also great for the door latch locks at night, and as the facuets seem to be random on/off & left/right, we put CC_OP, or CCW_OP as needed. Great for winterizing.

Now to winterizing (in ATL that means fallerize) We drain hot and cold water, open all facuets, pull anode and flush. We rerouted the drain line to the rear, got tired of standing in water, also moved the hot water drain valve to the inside water box.

A few hours later, reinstall anode, pink in the drain traps only and toliet bowl to keep seal wet, close the outside shower knobs, put light bulb in water pump area. We travel very often so this allows for a fast pre launch. Just close all valves and tanks and fill gravity water. Ee always travel with a full load of water. We removed the whole house filter and use an exterior "blue" hose filter (store in freezer while home).

Since we rarely use the outside shower I open cycle it open/close if it has been used, otherwise it is air locked.

As far as black and gray tanks we usually drain and spray prior to leaving the camp ground. Fill black 1/3 full and load a bag off ice (have a bar style ice maker in the rear bay) to slosh around a few hours to a drump station. I normally leave the tank valves open at home to air. If you leave them closed a lttle pink helps.

The label maker really helps to remember which way to turn the water knobs.... tire and shock air pressures, gen oil and monthly up dates.... tv, satt, dvd settings... labelling keys.. marking off distances on the rear camera moniter..... marking the coolness setting on the fin slide in the frig..

My ramble light just went out.....
"Harry" the JK toad in the mirror
Check out the "mods" in the albums
Hoglou is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winterize, water tank, water, winter, fresh water, tank