Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2017, 07:18 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblerGuy View Post
You present a fun question for a high school science test:

"If you place a bottle of water inside a container of antifreeze and the temperature goes below freezing for a long time, will the water in the bottle freeze?"

So what did you find when you dewinterized it? Did the water bottle burst, allowing the water and antifreeze to mix?
My guess would be that the bottle was still intact. Being that it was only half full, that allowed for expansion as the water froze and any space between the bottle and filter housing would allow for additional expansion.
Yes ! the water would still freeze in the bottle.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 07:25 AM   #22
Chief tinkerer

LOL, Red. Ramblr, I aways liked those H/S science projects.
Yes it would freeze. No, didn't get to test that because the plastic filter bowl is removed, stored in a bag and the bottle retrieved after the pink is pumped. Then a bag with a rubber band goes around the filter housing so nothing takes up residence up there.

2017 SunSeeker 3010DS
Gidyupgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 07:16 PM   #23

I will say this is kindof a fun trick. That being said, antifreeze is cheap, the bottle hardly takes any space after getting compressed from the pressure of the pump. This is an unneeded step that confused me when I was a newbie.
knockando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 06:52 PM   #24
Chief tinkerer

~~ knockando~ ~~ I just threw the tip out there for anyone that might want to use it. If it was no value to you, then it was worth what you paid for it.

2017 SunSeeker 3010DS
Gidyupgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 07:49 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
That is a very good point that Garrette made about removing the water filter canister. I had found mine cracked off below the threads and sitting on the bay floor in the spring, and wondered how that happened.

I also use the blow out method
This year (today) I plan on using my shop vac to get that last bit of stubborn water and deposits out of the hot water tank after I bypass and drain
It’s important to note that as you do the blow out,water keeps finding a way to the filter
I will repeatedly empty it till there is no water left in the system and as was mentioned take that canister and filter off when I’m done
30 psi and a helper to keep air on the system as I do each faucet several times
The only problem I have ever experienced was a failure of the outside shower line (under the bathroom vanity),but that leak showed up late in the season and I replaced the cheap plastic supply lines with nice braided line
'93 Coleman pop ups (I'm Dad)
'04 Fleetwood Jamboree 26q
'14 Sunseeker 2860DS
trdutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 08:37 PM   #26

Hey Dutch, get the brass blowout plug from Amazon and use a quick connector for the air hose. One person job.
I used some of that stretchy sticky Glad press and seal on the filter opening to keep the critters out.
Also, there is a inline dammit, just after the filter. I remove the little bowl, it has a fine mesh screen. Clean it out and leave it off. I also remove the hoses from the water pump, cycle the pump for just a moment and leave them loose. Makes things interesting in the spring. Now if I can just remember everything I did. Me to DW ' We don't need no stink'in check list'.
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 08:40 PM   #27

Will do Garrette
'14 Sunseeker 2860DS
Old 11-21-2017, 09:33 PM   #28
Kasual Kamper

Now you have, trdutch.

JayArras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 09:34 PM   #29

Ha ha
'14 Sunseeker 2860DS
Old 12-06-2017, 05:01 PM   #30

Drain for fresh water tank.

I have looked everywhere and can't find the drain hose for the fresh water tank. We have a 2018 Sunseeker GTS. Talked to Forest River and none of their ideas worked. We found the red and blue hoses to drain the cold and hot water lines, but doesn't drain the fresh water tank.

Thanks for any ideas.

Linda
LinCarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 06:19 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinCarol View Post
I have looked everywhere and can't find the drain hose for the fresh water tank. We have a 2018 Sunseeker GTS. Talked to Forest River and none of their ideas worked. We found the red and blue hoses to drain the cold and hot water lines, but doesn't drain the fresh water tank.

Thanks for any ideas.

Linda

My blue line on 2014 drains the fresh tank.
That’s all I have is the blue&Red low point drains
They drain everything except the hot water tank
It drains with its own drain plug
'14 Sunseeker 2860DS
Old 12-06-2017, 08:18 PM   #32
Site Team

Linda,

We had a 2017 GTS2800. Open the "water cargo bay" and look on the right side. There is a piece of black plastic that juts out. Slightly behind that plastic wall, on the lower white water line, against the rear wall you should see, or feel, a 90 degree valve. That is where our fresh water drain was located.
It is better to have too much truck than to have too much trailer.
RedLdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 02:06 PM   #33

fresh water drain

Have looked at the different replies and still can't find anything. We drained water by the blue hose but lots of water still in fresh water tank.

Very confusing.

Thanks to all who replied.
LinCarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 06:59 PM   #34

In a pinch, you could use the on board water pump and turn on the outside shower to drain the tank than open low point drains. You will still need to blowout with air or use antifreeze.
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 07:43 PM   #35

Try looking at the fresh water tank (under the bed?), and there should be two hoses coming off the bottom edge. One goes to the water pump, and the other to the tank drain valve, which should be a quarter turn valve within reach when trying to get your body into the tank compartment. It dumps out under the vehicle. The red and blue outlets will drain the water lines but will not pull water from the tank through the pump. Just drain the tank to the bottom of the hose outlet, but do not put antifreeze in the tank. A little water left on the bottom of the tank won't hurt anything. If you want to you can blow out the sink and toilet lines with 30 PSI compressed air applied to the city water inlet (remember to open the toilet flush valve too). Or you can rig a suction hose to the water pump inlet and pump antifreeze into the lines. Pour antifreeze into all sink drain goosenecks to prevent freezing and on top of the toilet valve to keep the seal wet. You should remove the filter housing during winter to avoid cracking around the threads, and flush the system with water and install a new filter in the spring.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 11:40 AM   #36

Should you drain your freash water tank after you pump pink stuff into lines? I drained mine first and sucked up a gallon of pink and pump stopped working. I am wo dering if I just lost my prime.
izzaboomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 12:07 PM   #37

There are two ways to winterize. One is to install antifreeze into the water lines and leave it there. The other is to drain out the water and leave the lines empty. If you're going to put antifreeze in the lines, there is no need to open the low point drains. If you're gonna drain the water out and leave them dry than open the low point drains and open all water valves.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 12:36 PM   #38
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
There are two ways to winterize. One is to install antifreeze into the water lines and leave it there. The other is to drain out the water and leave the lines empty. If you're going to put antifreeze in the lines, there is no need to open the low point drains. If you're gonna drain the water out and leave them dry than open the low point drains and open all water valves.
I disagree.

The low point drains are at the the end of a run of plumbing and capped off.
Adding antifreeze to the system without opening the low point drains will never get antifreeze (protection) to these outside (and most critical) pipes.

Days Camped: '17=38 '18=49 '19=58 '20=110 '21=116 '22=88
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 01:25 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
I disagree.

The low point drains are at the the end of a run of plumbing and capped off.
Adding antifreeze to the system without opening the low point drains will never get antifreeze (protection) to these outside (and most critical) pipes.
I disagree. My low point drains are in the middle of the coach. Bath in front, kitchen in the rear. Drains are tapped in underneath the entrance door. As for the antifreeze, It enters the system at the pump in the front of the coach. I start at the rear and open all the valves under pressure until the pink fluid runs out working my way to the front. When that's all done I bleed the low point drains just to be sure. It's always pink.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 02:34 PM   #40
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
I disagree. My low point drains are in the middle of the coach. Bath in front, kitchen in the rear. Drains are tapped in underneath the entrance door. As for the antifreeze, It enters the system at the pump in the front of the coach. I start at the rear and open all the valves under pressure until the pink fluid runs out working my way to the front. When that's all done I bleed the low point drains just to be sure. It's always pink.
Maybe YOURS but not everyone's and not enough to be giving general advice that opening the low point drains is not needed when adding antifreeze.

Here is what 80%+ of people have for low point drains.
There is no way to get antifreeze in these exposed pipes unless you open them.

Days Camped: '17=38 '18=49 '19=58 '20=110 '21=116 '22=88
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drain, winter