Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-30-2014, 01:21 PM   #1

Wurth Elektronik Battery Isolator issue

My 2014 Sunseeker 3100SS does not charge the coach batteries when the engine is running. I just bought it new so the situation may (or may not) have been there from the factory. I am getting ignition voltage on the orange wire coming in to J12. The awning and slide will not work when the engine is running so I assume that the ignition voltage signal is present (along with confirming it with a meter). The solenoid does operate normally when you activate the emergency start switch. All fuses in the box look and test good. I am unable to determine which (if any) of those relays are involved in the circuit. There is Battery Isolation Manager plug-in module that probably is also involved. Coach is under warranty and I know that I can take it to a dealer, but if it is just a relay or that plug-in module, I can easily replace that. Anyone else have this issue? Thanks.

ActionJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 02:36 PM   #2

I think the coach batteries are charged after the chassis battery charging is satisfied. I'm thinking that the tie in between the batteries is via the emergency start circuit (relay) as that may be the only common connection for both. Just guessing here.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 02:53 PM   #3

Update: The circuit does work intermittently (maybe every other time). When the solenoid does activate to allow power from the chassis battery to feed the coach battery, I tested the voltage on the white wire that activates the solenoid. It fluctuates pretty regular between 14.2 volts (engine alt. voltage) and 4.7. It will stay at 4.7 for 60 seconds then jump to 14.2 for 10-20 seconds and then go back to 4.7 volts again. When it was doing this, I disconnected the orange wire from the ignition and when tested, it was a constant 14.2 volts. So in theory, there is something in the box intermittently reducing the current to the selonoid; i.e. circuit board, relay or that battery control module. When it does reduce the current, the solenoid will stay activated; however the reduced current does not seem to initially activate the solenoid.
At least we know that the circuit DOES work occasionally. First time I realized that was today.
ActionJackson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery