Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-10-2021, 04:41 PM   #1

31' RV with TOAD from Beloit, WI to West Entrance Yellowstone

Google maps says its 2 hours faster but 30 miles longer to take I90 through ND and Bozeman Montana to West Entrance vs taking I80 (or state 20) though IA and NE and coming around from the South side of park.

In the RV especially driving West Bound and up hill into the wind i assume I'll be 65mph. I know the Dakota's are 75mph and Montana is 80mph. Is that why its registering a longer drive on the southern route?

Any insight on Livingston/Bozeman drivability for an RV?

Seems the haul from East Entrance to the major sights is about an hour longer than the South or West Entrance.
Aulli17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 05:58 PM   #2

Well, at the moment all the gates but the north one are closed.
If you're taking I80 south of the park, you've got to go further west and up state roads to the park and go through more small towns which tend to be slower driving. From where you're located, the northern route would probably be better.
Depending on the sites you want to see, it's a long haul to anywhere and the traffic is going to make it a lot longer. It's a heck of a big park. Check the Yellowstone National Park website for better visitor information.
No idea about Bozeman.
Old 01-14-2021, 08:36 PM   #3

The winds on 80 and usually worse than 90, that's not to say that 90 can't have strong winds.

I have driven CA to WI many times and always prefer 90 or 94. From your location, 90 makes the most sense. South from Livingston to Gardiner (north entrance) is pretty easy going too. As noted above, having to go around the west side is a long and slow trip with some nice curves and hills, depending on the actual route you take.

Go 90.
jbflag21ds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 12:30 PM   #4

I am also going to west Yellowstone this year. Reservation already made near the west entrance, planning rest of trip around that.

Had the benefit of an rv trip to the Rapid City area in 2019 and took I90 there and back. Have you traveled I90 in South Dakota recently? The speed limit may be 75 but the road surface is terrible at least for my 31' Class C. Yes, there are vehicles of all types driving that speed and more but it shook the heck out of my unit and I quickly slowed down for safety and sanity sake. Numerous road signs warning of bumps and if your not careful you will feel that roller coaster weightlessness flying over them. Between that and bone jarring road conditions and construction I am planning for 55 mph towing my Acadia.

I think I90 is the best way for us but just slow down as appropriate. Plus, you will want to spend a few days at least in the Rapid City area to see Mt. Rushmore, Spearfish, Deadwood, Sturgis, and Devils Tower on the way to Yellowstone - unless your pressed for time or been there recently.
Mohawk Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring
2013 AWD Acadia Denali, Blue Ox Equipped
ChrisParise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 12:47 PM   #5

The I-94 route is about your best option. The West entrance to Yellowstone does have the best and largest selection of RV parks and other ammenities.
The I-80 route will get you across Wyoming but then you need to travel North quite a ways to the South entrance which doesn't have a lot of choices for RV parks or Camping that are easy to get reservations for.
The North entrance at Gardiner is not a bad choice and easier to access the Lamar Valley.
The East entrance is quite a ways from Cody Wyoming and a pretty good climb getting over the pass and into the Park. I did it this way in 2018 staying at the only FS camp ground with power and water hookups. No phone or internet and the wife and grandkids almost mutinied.
Blackrock is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad