Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2017, 06:48 PM   #1

5 Days in Yellowstone

Looking for some great advice from those that have been to Yellowstone. We will be there for five days this June and are looking for suggestions on the "must-see" things to do during the short time that we are there. We'll be staying in West Yellowstone FWIW.

Thanks!
Old 05-01-2017, 06:52 PM   #2

If you're staying at Grizzly RV park ask for Mary Ann at the front desk. She can direct you to the best wildlife at the right times of the day as she spends her off days photographing the park. Tell her that her son Donald sent ya. She and my dad work camp there a few months of the year.

There is a lot to see - if you want better suggestions help us understand if you're willing to hike or want to strictly visit places by vehicle.

Peace,
Don
Champ203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 07:14 PM   #3

Thanks, Don. We will be staying at Grizzly and will definitely look up your folks!

My wife and I have twin 11 year old daughters and a 2 year old son. We're not averse to hiking, but a mix of hiking and vehicle site visits might be best with the little one.
Old 05-01-2017, 07:53 PM   #4

Check out Old Faithful and have the buffet lunch at the Inn
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 07:59 PM   #5

Oh yes we will be there hopefully this month. We plan to stay a few days at Grand Teton. Check out the Beartooth Highway, Chief Joseph Highway too.
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 08:04 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ203 View Post
If you're staying at Grizzly RV park ask for Mary Ann at the front desk. She can direct you to the best wildlife at the right times of the day as she spends her off days photographing the park. Tell her that her son Donald sent ya. She and my dad work camp there a few months of the year.

There is a lot to see - if you want better suggestions help us understand if you're willing to hike or want to strictly visit places by vehicle.

Peace,
Don
Champ203. We will be there the 18th of May for 4 days and will ask for Mary. We hike a lot.
BBBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 09:05 PM   #7
Site Team

Grand Canyon of Yellowstone
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 09:46 PM   #8

Make a trip over to the Tetons.
brad10281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 08:50 AM   #9

Yellowstone is my favorite National Park. Grizzly RV Park is a great choice for visiting Yellowstone.

It goes without saying that Old Faithful is a must see. Also the Lower Falls in the Grand Canyon of Yellowstone is a must see. There are a number of trails in the Lower Falls area offering different views and one short but steep trail will take you right to the brink of the falls. All of the geyser basins are worth a visit. The best area to see herds of bison and possibly a bear is in Lamar Valley. The best area to see Elk is in the Mammoth Springs area. Since you’ll be coming into the park from the west entrance be sure to take a drive on the Firehole Canyon Rd. It’s a one way road that will take you right back to the Grand Loop Road. I know your time is limited but your kids might like the chuckwagon ride and dinner. It’s not cheap but I thought I’d throw that thought out there. So much to see, so little time. Some pics.

Old Faithful as viewed from Observation Point.

Lower Falls from one of the many viewing areas. The brink of the falls viewing area is to the right of the falls.

Here's a better pic of the brink of the falls viewing area.

A small herd of Bison in Lamar Valley.

The chuckwagon ride to where the dinner is served.

I hope you have a great time on your trip.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 08:54 AM   #10
Insert witty title here

We have a westward trip planned for late July with stops planned at The Badlands, Mt Rushmore, Devil's Tower and Yellowstone. We will then drive through The Tetons on our way down to visit family in Denver.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 12:15 PM   #11

Grizzley is a really nice park, you'll like it. The town of West Yellowstone is worth a walk too. Fly fishing is amazing if you fish. You can fish the park for a nominal fee for a license which is required. There is no need for an out of state license. The park is not far but a bit of a drive to all the attractions. Get up really early on a morning and get into the park just after daylight for the best wildlife viewing and picture taking. Lamar Valley is a for sure but also a long day from West Yellowstone. Do some of the boardwalks also, Grand Prismatic, Old Faithful, Geyser Basin to name a few of the better ones. Don't miss the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone either, beautiful! Five days is not really that short of a stay, all of this is doable. We went last fall just before the park closed and it was great. There were some road closures last fall for construction so you might call ahead for road conditions.
Old 05-02-2017, 12:36 PM   #12

Thanks for all of the great advice! We are getting really excited for the trip, and I just about have everything checked and ready to go on our Sabre.
Old 05-02-2017, 01:04 PM   #13

If you have never been there before some must see items are: old faithful(see morning glory hotspring and some other geysers in the area while there), grand canyon of the yellowstone for the two falls-morning best, Hayden Valley for animals early or late day, Mt Washburn for a hike and the bighorns-June may be early if this was a big snow year. Mammoth hot springs if you want to check the north entrance and do easy river raft just outside the park, and Beartooth highway for high mt scenic views(if open in June). I usually go for much more than 5 days and take a swing out the east gate to Cody and the plains indian museum, western art museum, NRA museum and come back via beartooth highway and watch for animals on the way back to camp at sunset - a long day of driving. There is a grizzly and wolf recovery place in west yellowstone that gave some nice safe up close look at the animals, its been a few years hope its still there as I will get back to Tetons/Y for 6 weeks this year. Also, stop at all traffic jams your first day or two as they caused by animals near or crossing the roadway. And listen to ranger advice on entering for maintaining a safe distance from any animals.
jwfrede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 01:16 PM   #14

I forgot to mention one more thing. Since you are staying in West Yellowstone with your family be sure to visit the Grizzly & Wolf Discovery Center. It’s within walking distance of your RV park.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 02:08 PM   #15

If it's cool outside visit Yellowstone canyon in the morning. You can see steam coming from the hillside that you don't see in the afternoon. It makes it a completely different experience.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 02:22 PM   #16

while in yellowstone, plan your trip in sections... I like to look at the main park roads as a figure 8. Plan all your must do's in one area followed by another area.

Traffic is a big issue. you will spend more time driving than you think you will. Esp when you stop to view the wildlife that you happen to see as you drive by.

Don't waste precious time going back to camp for lunches. Take a small cooler and plan to have a picnic somewhere along the way
Old 05-02-2017, 02:25 PM   #17

Just chiming in so I can watch this thread! We're planning a trip to Yellowstone too!

Carl
ckabrahamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 03:07 PM   #18

We will be camping in Fishing Bridge CG for 12 days in August. This is part of our 4 month trip out west. Thanks for all of the suggestions. This will be our 1st time in Yellowstone.

Freddie & Linda
2015 FR Sierra 330RLS & 2003 Dodge 2500 4X4 Diesel
TMPS for Camper & TV
Dakota EV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 04:17 PM   #19

Amen to all recommendations. Yellowstone is a national treasure that your kids will remember for the rest of their lives. We always spend a day or two in Grand Tetons NP, as well. The hike around Jenny Lake is one of the prettiest ever. The town of Jackson offers some great shopping, dining, and a fantastic town square.
Jakieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 04:32 PM   #20

We really liked seeing the West Thumb Geysers Basin on Lake Yellowstone early in the morning, watching the sunrise.
We stayed at fishing bridge so it was close.
We did about the same trip, seen everything but the north entrance just ran out of time, still working.
Grambo88 is offline   Reply With Quote