Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2023, 10:19 AM   #1

70 through Colorado this weekend 3/24/23

Currently in Moab Utah and have to head back to STL on Friday. As i pass through the Rockies on 70, do i need to re winterize as the temps may get into the teens for the 4-5 hours i am pulling through the mountains, or would i be okay with emptying my low point drains and opening my faucets to let everything drain out?
Old 03-22-2023, 10:23 AM   #2

Do you have chains for your truck and trailer? This is required by law in CO on I-70 until May 31 of this year. Snow can occur in CO until then and sometimes later.

I know that's not an answer to your question, but this is something else to consider.

Can you drop down to I-40 and go home that way. This is what I did one year since I didn't want to carry chains and I was out west in Sept, Oct. Went up and over I-70 in late Aug so chains weren't required than.
Old 03-22-2023, 11:00 AM   #3

We towed I-40 from NC to Holbrook, AZ last Wednesday through Sunday. No weather issues other than cold and windy. We did see some snow along the way but never on the road surface.

Getting to I-40 will add time and miles for your trip, but it would be safer.

We’ll leave here(Globe, AZ) this Sunday and head back going I-40 all the way. It might be a shorter route for us to go the southern route, but we do not want to go through El Paso.

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 11:00 AM   #4

I think just draining via low point drains and leaving facets open would be fine. But as noted above chains are required and snow is forecast for the pass Friday through Sunday this weekend.
2023 Road Glide ST
camper_Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 11:12 AM   #5
Scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountndream View Post
Currently in Moab Utah and have to head back to STL on Friday. As i pass through the Rockies on 70, do i need to re winterize as the temps may get into the teens for the 4-5 hours i am pulling through the mountains, or would i be okay with emptying my low point drains and opening my faucets to let everything drain out?
As you said, I would simply open the low point drains and empty faucets.

A winter storm exiting Utah on Friday will dump snow on the CO high mountain passes along I-70 as it moves through Friday evening. Its possible this will impact travel through Glenwood Canyon, Vail Pass, and Eisenhower Tunnel approaches. Check CDOT: https://www.codot.gov/news/feeds/statewide

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 02:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountndream View Post
for just 4 or 5 hrs should be a non issue but you could open low point drains as suggested . 4x4 truck good tires no need for chains 2 wheel drive and snow towing good idea to have chains 6% grades and more . most chain laws in CO are directed toward commercial trucks not standard cars or trucks . if towing and snow and black ice be careful watch the brakes and go slow use your gears , down shift etc . everybody else will be doing 80 mph and they don't give a hoot about trucks or people towing . Best to stay on 70 if there is a storm as it gets taken care of before other roads .
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 03:31 PM   #7

I-70 is notorious for spring snowstorms, and yes, blizzards. Beside the road conditions, it is also notorious for stop and go traffic, especially between Frisco and Denver. It gets very steep in grade, and combine that with skier traffic and stop and go traffic, plus bad weather, it can be a very treacherous syretch of interstate to travel on

Even in the summer, stop and go traffic there can be awful
melvinjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 04:42 PM   #8
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5er_tom View Post
We’ll leave here(Globe, AZ) this Sunday and head back going I-40 all the way. It might be a shorter route for us to go the southern route, but we do not want to go through El Paso.
Hey, make a hard left and come on up to Page, AZ to visit!
Old 03-22-2023, 06:55 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
for just 4 or 5 hrs should be a non issue but you could open low point drains as suggested . 4x4 truck good tires no need for chains 2 wheel drive and snow towing good idea to have chains 6% grades and more . most chain laws in CO are directed toward commercial trucks not standard cars or trucks . if towing and snow and black ice be careful watch the brakes and go slow use your gears , down shift etc . everybody else will be doing 80 mph and they don't give a hoot about trucks or people towing . Best to stay on 70 if there is a storm as it gets taken care of before other roads .
Above statement is not true.: most chain laws in CO are directed toward commercial trucks not standard cars or trucks

From the CDOT:
Passenger Vehicle Traction Law: All motorists are required to either have an all-wheel or four-wheel drive vehicle, or (for two-wheel drive vehicles) snow tires or all-weather tires with a mud/snow designation. Tread depth on all tires must be at least 3/16" regardless of vehicle type. Vehicles that do not meet these criteria must carry chain devices or alternative traction devices. The law focuses on passenger vehicles, as commercial vehicles have their own restrictions. It is unlawful to proceed when a state highway is closed or to proceed when a restriction is in effect without the required traction equipment. Violators will be given a citation, which comes with a $100 fine and $32 surcharge. That jumps to a $500 fine with a $156 surcharge if a violation results in the closure of one or more traffic lanes.

Passenger Vehicle Chain Law: All passenger vehicles weighing less than 16,001 pounds gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) must have tire chains or alternate traction devices (ATD) installed on two or more drive tires. It is unlawful to proceed when a state highway is closed or to proceed when a restriction is in effect without the required chain/ATD equipment installed. Violators will be given a citation, which comes with a $100 fine and $32 surcharge. That jumps to a $500 fine with a $156 surcharge if a violation results in the closure of one or more traffic lanes.

I spend lots of time traveling from Denver to Vail in the winter and have seen the tickets the troopers give out.
2023 Road Glide ST
camper_Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 07:02 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Hey, make a hard left and come on up to Page, AZ to visit!

Ha! You are at the other end of the state, and almost not in the state. Throw a rock and it would land in Utah.
300+ miles is a bit much for us, but thanks for the offer.

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 02:36 PM   #11
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5er_tom View Post
Ha! You are at the other end of the state, and almost not in the state. Throw a rock and it would land in Utah.
300+ miles is a bit much for us, but thanks for the offer.
Yeah, we're currently in Utah. Hitting Page this weekend. And then on April 1, we head for Santa Fe and onto Oklahoma City.
Old 03-23-2023, 06:47 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by camper_Lucy View Post
Above statement is not true.: most chain laws in CO are directed toward commercial trucks not standard cars or trucks

From the CDOT:
Passenger Vehicle Traction Law: All motorists are required to either have an all-wheel or four-wheel drive vehicle, or (for two-wheel drive vehicles) snow tires or all-weather tires with a mud/snow designation. Tread depth on all tires must be at least 3/16" regardless of vehicle type. Vehicles that do not meet these criteria must carry chain devices or alternative traction devices. The law focuses on passenger vehicles, as commercial vehicles have their own restrictions. It is unlawful to proceed when a state highway is closed or to proceed when a restriction is in effect without the required traction equipment. Violators will be given a citation, which comes with a $100 fine and $32 surcharge. That jumps to a $500 fine with a $156 surcharge if a violation results in the closure of one or more traffic lanes.

Passenger Vehicle Chain Law: All passenger vehicles weighing less than 16,001 pounds gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) must have tire chains or alternate traction devices (ATD) installed on two or more drive tires. It is unlawful to proceed when a state highway is closed or to proceed when a restriction is in effect without the required chain/ATD equipment installed. Violators will be given a citation, which comes with a $100 fine and $32 surcharge. That jumps to a $500 fine with a $156 surcharge if a violation results in the closure of one or more traffic lanes.

I spend lots of time traveling from Denver to Vail in the winter and have seen the tickets the troopers give out.

This says it all ! and if you read my post i said 4x4 truck 2 wheel drive chains recommended but with the correct tires not . of course when a hwy is closed it's unlawful to travel on such road doh! and I said MOST CHAIN LAWS ARE DIRECTED TOWARD COMMERCIAL the rest of the time you're good to go . chains laws when in effect and only when in effect and then 4x4 all wheel drive with the correct tire depth or 2wheel drive with correct tires .
I've hauled through Vail to Denver countless times all winter long for 30 yrs and never chained up or seen anybody chain up other then commercial trucks . I have also never seen a chain law in effect that went beyond commercial . So the statement i made is true and from 84 till just last season never saw an all vehicle chain law in effect . Drove for CME a few winters and never had or used chains just good winter tires . Towing a TT i recommend chains for 2 wheel drive truck but 4x4 forget about it ...
Old 03-24-2023, 12:11 PM   #13
Scoundrel

Portions of I-70 on east Vail Pass are closed today due to a multi-car pile up.

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 07:11 AM   #14

Your question was about winterizing; depends on the plumbing in your particular RV.

If it's underneath, outside and exposed then yes you should winterize if temps are going to be below 10 or 20 degrees. And right now it's 5 below zero here.
But If your plumbing is all enclosed and nothing exposed, then you will be fine.
I've had something freeze only 2 times while going down the highway, both times the outside temp was below 10 degrees. The first time a pipe froze; it was inside a compartment but the door seal was not tight so it was letting in cold air.

The second time the outside temp was 4 degrees and my Truma tankless water heater froze because I had turned it off before we got on the road. Lesson learned, I just drain the Truma now (but not everything else) before leaving the campground. All the pipes were fine because they're enclosed inside heated compartments.

One of the first things you should do before you buy an RV is crawl around on the ground and look at how it's constructed. You would be amazed at the things you learn when you are laying on your back, on the ground.
I found several gaps and holes in everything where cold air (and mice) can enter. It makes a big difference when you travel and camp in cold weather.
jdebevec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 06:43 PM   #15

Quote:
Not always true on the chain law. Commercial vehicals must be carrying chains but. "A chain law restriction for vehicles weighing less than 16,001 pounds—including passenger vehicles, crossovers, SUVs and small trucks—can be put into effect in Colorado at any time when weather conditions are severe, primarily on roadways with significant ascending and descending grades."

SEE: https://www.codot.gov/travel/colorado-chain-law
RamManMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 06:48 PM   #16

Quote:
Not always true on the chain law. Commercial vehicals must be carrying chains but. "A chain law restriction for vehicles weighing less than 16,001 pounds—including passenger vehicles, crossovers, SUVs and small trucks—can be put into effect in Colorado at any time when weather conditions are severe, primarily on roadways with significant ascending and descending grades." So CDOT can declare chains required whenever they believe conditions warrant. I lived in CO for 14 years an I would definitely avoid I-70 with a trailerbat this time of year. If I couldn't I'd be carefully watching the weather and be prepared to stop and be "ridin the storm out" at the slightest hint of bad weather.

RamManMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 09:13 PM   #17

Check the weather. If you’re traveling tomorrow (3/31/2023). The weather predictions for Missouri aren’t favorable…
Sobeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 02:39 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamManMN View Post
Not always true on the chain law. Commercial vehicals must be carrying chains but. "A chain law restriction for vehicles weighing less than 16,001 pounds—including passenger vehicles, crossovers, SUVs and small trucks—can be put into effect in Colorado at any time when weather conditions are severe, primarily on roadways with significant ascending and descending grades."

Yeo can be put into place anytime . after 30 yrs driving hwy 70 and many other passes . never ever had that happen . commercial all the time .Been over the passes during white out blizzards , etc . if towing with out 4x4 then i would carry chains . but other wise never an issue, most accidents caused by people who don't know the first thing on how to drive let alone in the snow .