Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-21-2018, 08:25 PM   #1

A bunch of firsts on the California 101!

Did a pre-Thanksgiving trip with our *BRAND NEW* 2019 Palomino Columbus 377MB / 377MBW fifth wheel. We upgraded in August after owning a Palomino Puma 31BHSS for 2 years.

This was my longest trip to date with the fifth wheel (about 300 miles one way), and I was a little nervous about how it would do. There are multiple mountain passes from Walnut Creek, CA, to Buelton, CA, home of the Flying Flags RV Resort (highly recommended!).

Truck: Ram 2500 turbo diesel with factory air ride and diesel exhaust.

Rig: Palomino Columbus 377mb / 377mbw.

Hitch: Andersen Ultimate Fifth Wheel with Gooseneck attachment

What I loved...
* The entire setup was awesome, cruised at 60 the entire way
* Averaged 13.5 mpg on the return part of the trip
* Could hold 55 on every pass with ease
* no swaying or bucking. The Andersen Ultimate was amazing, and while I loved the ProPride, I sure do love not having to spend 45 minutes hitching and unhitching.
* Hit a major rain/wind storm on the way home, actually my first time towing my RV in 2 years in the rain (gotta love California). The entire rig did great.

On some earlier trips, I noticed more porpoising than I would have liked, and I flipped the direction of the red hitch adapter from the Andersen. It's been great ever since, but with a shortbed, I run dangerously close to clipping my cab. The only thing I don't like about my rig.

Overall, the upgrade has been amazing. Infinitely more space, comfort, even a central vac. We miss our outdoor kitchen from the Puma, but it's fun to pull into a CG and be the king of the rigs.
sierramister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 01:18 PM   #2

Forgot to add that I have 3 propane tanks, and apparently it's the case that one of the tanks is dedicated to the fridge. That tank went empty, despite filling up the other 2, and all of our fridge stuff went bad. Otherwise, a very good trip!
sierramister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 12:41 AM   #3

See any sights of the fires I thought that the fires were close to 101
billy bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 02:32 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bob View Post
See any sights of the fires I thought that the fires were close to 101
The fires near the 101, were the Woolsey Fire and the Hill Fire. Both were mostly in Ventura County.
I spent a number of my firefighting years, with Ventura County Fire.
The OP was well nowhere near, since they went from the SF Bay Area, down to Santa Barbara County.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 11:21 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
The fires near the 101, were the Woolsey Fire and the Hill Fire. Both were mostly in Ventura County.
I spent a number of my firefighting years, with Ventura County Fire.
The OP was well nowhere near, since they went from the SF Bay Area, down to Santa Barbara County.
Thanks for the fire info
Old 12-04-2018, 11:24 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierramister View Post
Did a pre-Thanksgiving trip with our *BRAND NEW* 2019 Palomino Columbus 377MB / 377MBW fifth wheel. We upgraded in August after owning a Palomino Puma 31BHSS for 2 years.

This was my longest trip to date with the fifth wheel (about 300 miles one way), and I was a little nervous about how it would do. There are multiple mountain passes from Walnut Creek, CA, to Buelton, CA, home of the Flying Flags RV Resort (highly recommended!).

Truck: Ram 2500 turbo diesel with factory air ride and diesel exhaust.

Rig: Palomino Columbus 377mb / 377mbw.

Hitch: Andersen Ultimate Fifth Wheel with Gooseneck attachment

What I loved...
* The entire setup was awesome, cruised at 60 the entire way
* Averaged 13.5 mpg on the return part of the trip
* Could hold 55 on every pass with ease
* no swaying or bucking. The Andersen Ultimate was amazing, and while I loved the ProPride, I sure do love not having to spend 45 minutes hitching and unhitching.
* Hit a major rain/wind storm on the way home, actually my first time towing my RV in 2 years in the rain (gotta love California). The entire rig did great.

On some earlier trips, I noticed more porpoising than I would have liked, and I flipped the direction of the red hitch adapter from the Andersen. It's been great ever since, but with a shortbed, I run dangerously close to clipping my cab. The only thing I don't like about my rig.

Overall, the upgrade has been amazing. Infinitely more space, comfort, even a central vac. We miss our outdoor kitchen from the Puma, but it's fun to pull into a CG and be the king of the rigs.
Sounds like you had a great trip on 101 take any pictures would love to see some

Tags
california