Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-18-2022, 05:56 AM   #1
ysidive

Albuquerque Baloon Fest

I will be attending the Fest in 2023 and was wondering if anyone that has been there in an RV could provide some information.
How was the RV lot for site size, and how was the water and electric connection. Is it a long walk to the Field? Is the shuttle service from the South lot adequate? Any information would be appreciated. Also we wll have a dog with us and was wondering about dog areas that are adquate for the dog to relieve himself....
Days Camping 2022 Not Enough
ysidive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2022, 07:41 AM   #2

I attended a few years ago. We were with a tour group. The lot was fine. They have portapotties and showers available. It is crowded but manageable. We had a great time. They do have honey wagons running around that you can get pumped out. You can also get fresh water all for a price. It was one of our best trips.

You are encouraged to help the balloonists get their balloons up in the air. We helped the Coca-Cola balloon for several days, wonderful people.
USS Decatur DDG-31 1971-1975
Inlineskater67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2022, 07:44 AM   #3
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysidive View Post
I will be attending the Fest in 2023 and was wondering if anyone that has been there in an RV could provide some information.
How was the RV lot for site size, and how was the water and electric connection. Is it a long walk to the Field? Is the shuttle service from the South lot adequate? Any information would be appreciated. Also we wll have a dog with us and was wondering about dog areas that are adquate for the dog to relieve himself....
Check with Ependydad as he has a lot of good info about the area. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2022, 11:23 AM   #4

We were there this year with the FROG Rally, premium sites had water & electric and hook ups were fine, just make sure you are hooked up to the correct spots as some were not. Shuttle bus runs for all events but the walk from where we were was about a 20-minute walk. Not much grass for the dogs and watch out for the sticky balls in the sage area that can hurt their paws.
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2022, 12:38 PM   #5

Look here:

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...rt-257364.html
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 06:12 PM   #6
Always Learning

First, here's an article on it that I wrote a while back. It's still accurate as far as I'm aware:
https://learntorv.com/balloon-fiesta/

> How was the RV lot for site size, and how was the water and electric connection.

The spots with electricity are some of their most expensive. The lots are all approximately 45' deep by 20' wide. You're generally parked nuts to butts. It's tight. I've never had a spot in them, but we were parked across the street from them on my first Fiesta in 2017. We may or may not have "borrowed" water a time or two (once for a good cause as a member of our group had a home birth! while there).

> Is it a long walk to the Field? Is the shuttle service from the South lot adequate?

It's about 3/4 to 1 mile to the edge of the field. The field itself is quite large and you can log another 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile for that portion. The shuttles are quite decent, running regularly and often would drop us off at our specific row when heading back to the RV lot.

I actually like spending a stupid amount of money for the North RV lot because it's so much closer to the field. But, it's solely dry camping there.

For dry camping, they do offer free water near the entrance to the south lot if you have a method for transferring water. I have a 60g Aquatank water bladder that I use and will get water every couple of days. If you want, you can pay for water to be brought to you.

For dumping your tanks, they offer a pump out service for a fee. I think it's in the $35 range. But they'll not only dump your tanks but will also pump out a sewer tote/blueboy if you have it sitting there. Friends of mine would pull together sewer totes and a pump out and would lessen the cost for everyone.

> Any information would be appreciated. Also we wll have a dog with us and was wondering about dog areas that are adquate for the dog to relieve himself....

The RV parking lots are wholly dirt/sand. The whole site is built on top of an old dump. There aren't dog walk locations and you'll have a hard time finding grass for the dog to do its business.

If you're physically able, I strongly recommend signing up to help the balloon pilots with setup, chase, and packing away the balloons. It changes everything about the event, being able to interact with them in that way. But, be aware- the morning shuttles that early are hit or miss. We planned for walking (actually, we were friendly with our pilot and they'd pick us up).

And lastly, go for as long as you can - things can and do get weathered out. This past year was crappy for that. They did almost no evening activities due to the weather and we got caught in a lightning storm. I'm lucky in that we can stay almost a full 2 weeks, getting there before the Fiesta actually starts (1/2 priced campsites) and then staying until Sunday or Monday after to try and miss some of the crowd leaving.

Ask me anything. We've been 3 years now. We'll likely not go in 2023 just because of plans to be in Florida for a wedding in September.

OH, one bonus- SET YOUR CALENDAR FOR WHEN RV SPOTS OPEN. THEY SELL OUT IN MINUTES.
Old 01-12-2023, 02:43 PM   #7

They went on sale yesterday (11 january at 0900 MST), they are sold out and the wait list is full..
rowdy boys 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 02:47 PM   #8

RV sites that is...
rowdy boys 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 05:22 PM   #9
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowdy boys 3 View Post
They went on sale yesterday (11 january at 0900 MST), they are sold out and the wait list is full..
Yeah, I have multiple friends who tried and didn't get spots.

The good news is, you can usually pickup spots from people who did get them by asking around.