Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-16-2020, 12:51 PM   #1

Alternate California NP Campground Recommendations Needed

We had planned to head out to the California National Parks this summer (July-August 2020). Back in the fall of 2019 we routed and almost started booking camping sites, etc.
Due to mechanical problems with the camper, and truck, we cancelled the trip over the winter; thinking we weren't going to have them.

Well, now it looks as though we will have the camper and truck this summer, and we are EAGERLY looking forward to getting out west.

The problem that now lies ahead, is that we are getting to the campground reservations too late and likely everything is booked up. We are looking at being out west July 20 to August 13. (travel to/from the west will be before/after those dates) So I know this is a very busy time, hot, etc...

My question for you all is what are some alternative campgrounds to look at for our visits to:

Redwood NP
Yosemite NP
Sequoia/Kings NP
Channel Islands NP
San Diego
Joshua Tree NP
Las Vegas/Death Valley NP

We don't mind staying outside the parks, however, we don't want to have an hour+ drive to get into the park. Maybe we need to hit up California another year?
Andersen Ultimate Aluminum 2 Gooseneck Mount
mekkerlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 01:32 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mekkerlc View Post

My question for you all is what are some alternative campgrounds to look at for our visits to:

Redwood NP
Yosemite NP
Sequoia/Kings NP
Channel Islands NP
San Diego
Joshua Tree NP
Las Vegas/Death Valley NP

We don't mind staying outside the parks, however, we don't want to have an hour+ drive to get into the park. Maybe we need to hit up California another year?
As a native Californian, you're going to have a difficult time getting anything, especially for San Diego, Yosemite, Channel Islands. You do know that you have to camp in the Ventura/Oxnard area for Channel Islands NP? Everything in that general area will be already booked up and the boat rides out to it may also be booked up.
Not sure why you are including Vegas, Death Valley and Joshua Tree during the absolute hottest time of the year.
Vegas would be fine in a hotel but I personally wouldn't visit Vegas during the summer.
You should be able to find something near Redwood and Sequoia/Kings.
Yosemite will definitely be over 1 hour+ drive to get to the Valley floor.
If you really are intent on the desert areas, you need to go during spring or fall, not the peak of summer. Have you looked at peak temperatures during the time you plan on visiting?
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 02:45 PM   #3

Get the Ultimate US Public Campgrounds App.

You might also check boondockerswelcome.com.

Tags
california, campground, mpg