Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2022, 07:46 AM   #1

Any experience with Joshua Tree, CA BLM land?

we will be visiting our son in Phoenix next Feb/Mar and will be spending a few days with our 2021 Surveyor 19BHLE around Joshua Tree NP. there are two NP campsites at the northern border of the park (no hookups for water or power) that you enter from outside the north border of the park. I learned there is BLM land a couple of miles north of the park in the town of Joshua Tree. other than the lack of flush toilets there seems to be minimal disadvantage to staying on BLM land (for free) over using one of the NP campgrounds.

does anyone have any experience with the Joshua Tree BLM land?

thanks
faithie999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 08:31 AM   #2

I stayed in that area this last January. Only issue I had was water. Water is scarce in that area and to conserve it the water hydrants in the campground I stayed in were modified so you not only couldn't connect a hose to them to fill a tank, you couldn't even cheat and use a water thief. When on the water came out a sprinkler like opening and was only suitable for filling a bucket.

I would suggest going into any campground, other than one with hookups, with a full water tank.

One other thing to consider, at that time of year wind can be rather brisk. I spent two nights with night-time winds around 45 mph. Made for a noisy night.

Other than these, the area is beautiful.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 09:10 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
I stayed in that area this last January. Only issue I had was water. Water is scarce in that area and to conserve it the water hydrants in the campground I stayed in were modified so you not only couldn't connect a hose to them to fill a tank, you couldn't even cheat and use a water thief. When on the water came out a sprinkler like opening and was only suitable for filling a bucket.

I would suggest going into any campground, other than one with hookups, with a full water tank.

One other thing to consider, at that time of year wind can be rather brisk. I spent two nights with night-time winds around 45 mph. Made for a noisy night.

Other than these, the area is beautiful.
thanks for that info.

it's likely that we will only be in the Joshua Tree NP area for 2-3 days so water shouldn't be a problem.

the only problem will be convincing my wife to be in an area without flush toilets (the only advantage the NP campground has IMHO). we are on our second year with our TT and I'm still nervous about plugging the black tank with solid waste. I have followed the tip about putting 5 gallons or so of fresh water into the empty black tank, and I can tell that helps in flushing out the toilet paper so I would assume the same for solid waste.
Old 09-14-2022, 11:49 AM   #4
Site Team

Moved thread to the Western USA sub-forum, in the On the Road/Travel Chat section of the Forum.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 12:12 PM   #5

Cottonwood Springs CG is about 6 miles N of the S boundary of the park. Last spring, it had water (with hose connection) and dump facilities near the CG entrance. I believe spigots throughout the CG. As noted, water is scarce there - use it sparingly.

Didn't stay at the NP CGs, but at the BLM area (a few times last winter/spring) just outside of the S boundary, as many do. It is spacious, free, and a short drive to Indio for shopping. Used the dump station when needed at Cottonwood for a small fee.
Old 09-14-2022, 12:16 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithie999 View Post
thanks for that info.

it's likely that we will only be in the Joshua Tree NP area for 2-3 days so water shouldn't be a problem.

the only problem will be convincing my wife to be in an area without flush toilets (the only advantage the NP campground has IMHO). we are on our second year with our TT and I'm still nervous about plugging the black tank with solid waste. I have followed the tip about putting 5 gallons or so of fresh water into the empty black tank, and I can tell that helps in flushing out the toilet paper so I would assume the same for solid waste.

If you are putting the water in the tank, make sure to use about a half of a toilet full of water when disposing of solids, and you put in an enzyme type of deodorant you should have no problem with the tank plugging. Also, since you will only be stopped for 2 or 3 days start your stay with an empty tank and leave without dumping it until you have driven for a couple of hours or more then dump it. The agitation of driving should help to make sure any solids get loosened up so they will come right out.
2022 F150 Powerboost Hybrid.
DougW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 02:05 PM   #7

You are overly concerned over the black tank. You current precautions are adequate.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 02:57 PM   #8
Always Learning

Thanks for asking! We are going to be in that area later this year and Joshua Tree has been on my bucket list forever.
Old 09-14-2022, 03:13 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Thanks for asking! We are going to be in that area later this year and Joshua Tree has been on my bucket list forever.
we went for the first time this past January. my son and DIL (living in phoenix) had raved about it and had visited several times. we drove in from the south entrance (off I-10) and for quite a while we were unimpressed. "Where are the Joshua Trees?" then as the elevation and climate changed, all of a sudden there were thousands of them. What a sight!!
Old 09-20-2022, 11:27 AM   #10

A popular place in winter and near Los Angeles. It gets a lot of use, but it is still a fine place to visit. It is easier to boondock outside the Park.
ppine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 06:49 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithie999 View Post
thanks for that info.

Don't put toilet paper down your RV toilet. Use a small waist can and put it there. Solves lots of problems.
CaptainJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 09:59 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainJustice View Post
Don't put toilet paper down your RV toilet. Use a small waist can and put it there. Solves lots of problems.
That is certainly one option, but an option I will never understand. I have also met folks who will not use their RV toilet at all. Others use their shower only for storage.
You can use, or not use, your RV facilities as you see fit, but why buy an RV and not use it to it's potential? Thousands of folks use their RV toilets as you would normally, with no problems.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 12:37 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
I don't have any problems, by putting TP down the toilet.
I also don't get this practice. The DW would never allow this either.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Forest River Forums mobile app
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 01:02 PM   #14
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Eww!!
Never in our R/V will there be a waste can full of crap smeared paper.
And this coming from someone who has stood deep in cow manure and been inside septic tanks... but... it ain't happening in our bathroom.

In 50 years of camping and using our R/V bathroom facilities we have never had the hint of a problem to solve.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 04:41 PM   #15

Draining the tank of solids sounds like a solution looking for a problem
joshuajim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 08:17 PM   #16

Is this thread slipping into the Twylight Zone, or what?

At the risk of being way out in left field, I always thought RV facilities (toilet, shower, etc.) were kind of mini-extensions of what we have at home, and that it's OK to use them accordingly - just don't forget to periodically empty their tanks.

On the other hand, the TP disposal debate should warrant a thread of its own.
Old 10-01-2022, 11:24 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
That is certainly one option, but an option I will never understand. I have also met folks who will not use their RV toilet at all. Others use their shower only for storage.
You can use, or not use, your RV facilities as you see fit, but why buy an RV and not use it to it's potential? Thousands of folks use their RV toilets as you would normally, with no problems.

Those who refuse to use their toilets and showers for their intended use are also joined by those who don't use the kitchen for cooking meals and don't carry water in the fresh water tank..

Perhaps there's a market for RV's without these features that would sell for a lot less

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 10:31 PM   #18

People make stuff so complicated.
I don't do extra water. Kids use copious TP. It's frozen in there before, coming back home in January. I skipped dumping this trip cause I wasn't gonna wait for 10 other tank flushers (Traverse City SP....horrible). I've never used my tank flush. Literally takes me less than 5 minutes at the dump station. If it smells, I toss in a pouch of chemical. Good grief, it's a tank with waste. Worry about something actually complicated.

Enjoy Joshua tree. For us, whenever we saw Joshua trees (not the park, just in general), it started snowing. So be careful...haha. It was January though. My parents do blm land for a couple months in the winter. They like it. Free is obviously super nice.
aeblank is offline   Reply With Quote