Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 02-14-2018, 07:45 AM   #21
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mslaman View Post
Hopefully the new reciprocity law will pass soon. Won’t have to deal with it.
Isn't that just for the inanimate objects we cannot speak of? Drivers licenses are already SUPPOSED to be reciprocal...

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 02-14-2018, 08:19 AM   #22
DDC

It only matters that you are legal where your licence is issued/ state of residents. This is covered under international laws and every now and again some dumb cop errs, geez Florida legislators found out a few years ago when they tried pulling this cr#p on tourist and had to recall and change what they had done because it was illegal both federally and internationally.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
Old 02-14-2018, 08:28 AM   #23
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDC View Post
It only matters that you are legal where your licence is issued/ state of residents. This is covered under international laws and every now and again some dumb cop errs, geez Florida legislators found out a few years ago when they tried pulling this cr#p on tourist and had to recall and change what they had done because it was illegal both federally and internationally.
Yeah, sounds like CA is trying to pull the samething.. I am sure the outcome will be the same. It's a pretty bit error when it is done across the state.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 02-14-2018, 09:25 AM   #24

(Note: "Department" in this CVC section means the California Departmenet of Motor Vehicles.)

12804.15 (a) Notwithstanding Section 362, for purposes of this section "house car" means a vehicle described in subdivision (b) of Section 12804.10.

(b) (1) Except as provided under paragraph (2), no person may operate a house car unless that person has in his or her possession a valid driver's license of the appropriate class and an endorsement thereto issued by the department to permit operation of the house car.

(2) A nonresident may not operate a house car in this state unless that person is in possession of an out-of-state driver's license authorizing the operation of that vehicle.

(c) An endorsement to drive a house car may be issued only if the applicant meets all of the following conditions:
(1) The applicant successfully completes an examination prescribed by the department to determine qualification for the endorsement.
(2) Upon initial application and every two years thereafter, the applicant submits medical information on a form approved by the department to verify that the person meets the minimum medical requirements established by the department for operation of a house car.
(3) Upon application for issuance of an original driver's license or renewal driver's license pursuant to subdivision (b) of Section 12804.10, there shall be paid to the department a fee of thirty-four dollars ($34) for a license that will expire on the applicant's fifth birthday following the date of the application.

(d) The department may deny, suspend, or revoke an endorsement to drive a house car when the applicant does not meet any requirement for the issuance or retention of the endorsement.
Old 02-14-2018, 09:29 AM   #25

Right in their own law it says as long as your dL is good for what your doing in your home state it’s good in ca
Old 02-14-2018, 09:33 AM   #26

I haven't noticed California following many national laws lately. Seems they are disinterested in law. SO, this sounds entirely believable. I will never personally find out, but I'm very interested in hearing real world examples of it.

Not sure 'suing' would help.......California has the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals. Good luck!!

But this topic has been beat to death, with NO resolution or agreement. Residents of State X or State Y keep claiming their rules apply. Clearly, many states are more restrictive than others. Mine has almost no restrictions. But if State X is gonna start pulling me over to check (4th Amendment?????), I might have problems.......so I need to know what reality is here, not rumor.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
Old 02-14-2018, 10:31 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mslaman View Post
Hopefully the new reciprocity law will pass soon. Won’t have to deal with it.

The only reciprocity law working that I know is about concealed carry. Is there another one?

Brandi
Old 02-14-2018, 11:21 AM   #28
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
I haven't noticed California following many national laws lately. Seems they are disinterested in law. SO, this sounds entirely believable. I will never personally find out, but I'm very interested in hearing real world examples of it.

Not sure 'suing' would help.......California has the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals. Good luck!!

But this topic has been beat to death, with NO resolution or agreement. Residents of State X or State Y keep claiming their rules apply. Clearly, many states are more restrictive than others. Mine has almost no restrictions. But if State X is gonna start pulling me over to check (4th Amendment?????), I might have problems.......so I need to know what reality is here, not rumor.
The only one I have "heard of" was from a leo group where a Canadian copper was looking for a person to come and get his truck and trailer from the chp.. That started the talks there of this occurring

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 02-14-2018, 11:26 AM   #29

No problem in Florida, but do not suggest everyone move here to just be able to drive an RV - LOL.

Florida statutes require that non commercial vehicle combinations consist of no more than two units and such combinations may not exceed a total length of 65 feet. section 316.515(3), Florida Statutes

Drivers of recreational vehicles are exempt from the requirement to obtain a commercial drivers license. section 322.53(2) (d), Florida Statutes

Florida statutes are available at: http://www.leg.state.fl.us

65′ maximum length
Florida statute limits the overall length of a ‘motor home’ to 45 feet exclusive of bumpers and safety devices. section 316.515 (15), Florida Statutes

Florida statute limits the length of a ‘private motor coach’ to 50 feet, exclusive of safety devices. section 316.515 (9), Florida Statutes In combination, the vehicles’ overall length cannot exceed 65 feet and only one trailer can be towed. section 316.515(3), Florida Statutes

Florida statute limits the length of a’ travel trailer’ to no more than 40 feet. section 320.01 (1)(b)1, Florida Statutes

Florida statutes allow only one trailer to be towed. section 316.515(3), Florida Statutes
Old 02-14-2018, 08:30 PM   #30

i checked into drivers licenses for rv's in Arizona. you can use the standard issue Arizona drivers license (the one you would get for driving a car) to tow or drive the biggest truck, trailer, or motorhome you can find, AS LONG AS IT IS FOR NONCOMMERCIAL PURPOSES! the moment you transact any commercial activity you need the appropriate class of commercial license.
Old 02-14-2018, 09:03 PM   #31
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICKDOE View Post
i checked into drivers licenses for rv's in Arizona. you can use the standard issue Arizona drivers license (the one you would get for driving a car) to tow or drive the biggest truck, trailer, or motorhome you can find, AS LONG AS IT IS FOR NONCOMMERCIAL PURPOSES! the moment you transact any commercial activity you need the appropriate class of commercial license.
Yep, sometimes this gets rv'rs jammed up. Mostly those who use it as their home and place of business. Also those who haul race vehicles.. Makes you commercial.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 02-14-2018, 09:42 PM   #32
Site Team

This thread is being closed pending a cleanup of the political posts that are a violation of the site guidelines.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Closed Thread