Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2018, 05:06 PM   #1
Multi-Slacker

AZ I-10 - I-17 RV Friendly GAS stations?

So where are the RV friendly gasoline stations? We are pulling a 34' trailer with an overall length of about 55'. Do truck stops that sell gas have their pumps at the same islands as the diesel? Novice drivers. If you surmise that we have never pulled the trailer enough to need a fuel stop, you would be correct. That will change very soon.

Thanks for your help!
Old 10-26-2018, 05:13 PM   #2
Berkshire 390QS

Truck lanes at truck stops usually only have diesel unless they have an RV lane. Skip
NO3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 05:17 PM   #3

On I10 in AZ, the Flying J and Pilot truck stops have RV lanes. Loves are also easy to get to diesel/gas in car lanes. On I17, it's a little tricky so you will have to use Google to find one that will work for you.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 08:41 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtPutnam View Post
So where are the RV friendly gasoline stations? We are pulling a 34' trailer with an overall length of about 55'. Do truck stops that sell gas have their pumps at the same islands as the diesel? Novice drivers. If you surmise that we have never pulled the trailer enough to need a fuel stop, you would be correct. That will change very soon.

Thanks for your help!

Well you could always buy a extra fuel tank and save money by not going in the truckstops. Of course it would take ten years to probably get your money back from the tank but it sure is convent not to have to worry about getting in and out of gas stations with the trailer attached
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 09:04 PM   #5

i see you are from so cal. sounds like you will be coming east on i-10. do not know what type of fuel you need but i am assuming diesel. as soon as you cross the arizona state line there is a pilot truck stop on the south side of i-10 and then about a mile or so further east there is another truck stop on the north side of i-10. both have rv lanes that have easy access. about 15 miles further east is quartsite which has several truck stops. you can fill up and have plenty of fuel to reach the western outskirts of phoenix (buckeye). there are a couple of truck stop off i-10 on each miller road and warner road.

if you use diesel fuel be aware of how arizona taxes diesel. for commercial use the tax is $.26/gal. for non-commercial use (<26,000 lbs and less than 3 axles) the tax is $.18/gal. look at the sticker on the pump. if it says it is taxes at $.18 fine. but the truck lanes will have a sticker that says the tax rate is $.26. if you use one of these pumps print the receipt and then go into the store and show it to the attendant and ask for the rebate. they will calculate it $.08 times the number of gallons and give you a cash refund for the amount. you will have to sign a log sheet with your vehicle license number and your signature. no big deal.

if you can make it to arizona wait until you get to arizona to refuel as our prices are much less that california. going the other way, fill up in arizona before entering california,

stations on I-17 are a bit fewer. if you fill up in phoenix you should make it to flagstaff. but we hate the i-17 / i-40 interchange!!! we normally get to the i-17 / I-40 interchange and then go east on I-40 about 5 miles to az-89 headed north to page, az. there is a mobil station at that intersection that we use. the are many places around flagstaff, but the ones with the most convenient access are off of i-40. we hate towing our 5th wheel on the flagstaff city streets.
Old 10-27-2018, 12:46 PM   #6
Multi-Slacker

Let me say again that I need gasoline stations.

Extra fuel tanks (auxiliary) are strictly for diesel. I do not know if the truck will take an extra gasoline tank. Fairly certain it is not a GM thing, so I need to be wary of warranty issues.

I still appreciate suggestions for gasoline stations on the stretch of the 1-10 between the CA-AZ border and the 1-17.

Thanks again for your help.
Old 10-27-2018, 01:03 PM   #7

Quote:

Extra fuel tanks (auxiliary) are strictly for diesel. I do not know if the truck will take an extra gasoline tank. Fairly certain it is not a GM thing, so I need to be wary of warranty issues.

I still appreciate suggestions for gasoline stations on the stretch of the 1-10 between the CA-AZ border and the 1-17.

Are you going to take the 303 outside of Goodyear? What is the range of the truck when towing? Are you going to top off in Quartzsite and how many miles will you have traveled before reaching the CA/AZ border?

Mike and JoAnne
Montana Summer / Arizona Winter
2016 Prism 24G /2002 HitchHiker 38LKTG
ACME EZTowing a 2015 Chevy Sonic RS Hatchback
AudiDudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 01:14 PM   #8

Gas along I-10 and az17

I just made this trip from Sedona back to so cal. I filled up in flagstaff before dropping down 17 to Sedona. I use a truck stop app that identifies everything, gas, diesel, dump, propane, Rv friendly etc. I have a 32 ft MH w toad. I too get anxious about stopping for gas. Using the app and knowing my capacity, eg, 50 gal tank and about 8 mpg I always make sure to look for gas at 1/2 tank knowing I can go further gives me time to find a place. Coming back on the 303 to the 10 is a long stretch but filled up around buckeye then made it all the way to Indio/palm desert for next stop. The key is to plan ahead. Good luck
MMMndp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 01:23 PM   #9

You are about 15' longer than our truck and trailer, so I sympathize.
I don't know of any specific gas stations, but truck stops usually worked for us. Head for the far right or far left lane to refuel. We tried to keep the tank half full because in that part of the country, you never know when refueling opportunities evaporate. Good luck.
Old 10-27-2018, 01:25 PM   #10

Almost all Flying J's have RV lanes. Try "pilotfjyingj.com" for a list of stations by interstate by exit. There is also a price page. My first choice is FlyingJ. Now if the 4 wheelers would just not block my RV lane.

Bill

Life is a journey, not a destination.
2005 Georgetown 359ts
Bill & Virginia, Kentucky
Nights camped in 2011...78 , 2012...73,
Nights camped in 2013...123, 2014 ...101
bend302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 01:53 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bend302 View Post
Almost all Flying J's have RV lanes. Try "pilotfjyingj.com" for a list of stations by interstate by exit. There is also a price page. My first choice is FlyingJ. Now if the 4 wheelers would just not block my RV lane.

Bill
I try to avoid Flying J and Pilot or Love's just due to their outrageous prices. For example, Near Casa Grande, AZ, diesel is selling for $2.87 in town and it's $3.49 at both the nearby Pilot and Flying J.

I use Gasbuddy to find the stations and then Google Maps to get a view of the pumps. I find a lot of the Maverik stations have great access for RV's.

Mike and JoAnne
Old 10-27-2018, 01:56 PM   #12
Multi-Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiDudi View Post
Are you going to take the 303 outside of Goodyear? What is the range of the truck when towing? Are you going to top off in Quartzsite and how many miles will you have traveled before reaching the CA/AZ border?
Running from CA to AZ. Brand new truck and we've never towed with it but I will assume an average of 8 - 10 mpg. 36 gal fuel tank. We like to start looking for gas at ½ tank so range is 144 to 180. Quartzite would make a great stopping point but it is 236 miles from there to Sedona. Appears as though Buckeye would be the next stop.

As much as for gas, we need to stop every couple hours to stretch our aging bones and muscles. We won't have the dog this time but she appreciates a stop too.
Old 10-27-2018, 02:36 PM   #13

The Love's in Buckeye looks OK. $2.95 for regular. That would leave you about 140 miles to go.

1610 N Miller Rd
Buckeye, AZ

Mike and JoAnne
Old 10-27-2018, 03:47 PM   #14
Multi-Slacker

Thank you all for all the help! We used to have a 29' class C that we could maneuver into and out of most gas stations. Pulling a big old trailer is a different kettle of fish. We're actually staying in Camp Verde which is some south of Sedona (no sites available in Sedona.) 1st real trip since we bought the trailer in late 2016 (I had medical issues) and we are both as excited as young kids (which we ain't.)
Old 10-27-2018, 04:49 PM   #15
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Once you pass the Hwy 85 exit south from I-17 west of Phoenix...with exception of a Love's gas station at the exit or two east of there before you hit the 303 north, forget about trying to get into any of the Phoenix gas stations with an RV hooked up until you get north of Phoenix on I-17!

You'll get caught up in mall and city traffic and most every gas station around the interstate are NOT RV friendly at all (don't ask me how I know).

And that Hwy 85 Shell station they show you on the signs?

It is five miles south of I-10 on 85 and generally .75 cents-$1.00 more per gallon than anywhere else (again, don't ask me how I know)!

When towing an RV, forget about the cheapest gas price or you'll find you will waste more time driving and gas running around and burn up any price savings trying to find the cheapest price.

And you may end up in divorce court...
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 05:10 PM   #16

My wife and I followed this route earlier this year. We mostly stopped at Pilot or other truck stops. Never worried about the price just didn't want to run out. Our truck only had a 25 gallon tank so we had to stop more often. We have since upgraded. The point is we never had problems as long as we didn't skip an opportunity to fill up when under half a tank. I did have an emergency 5 gallons of gas in the bed of truck. Never had to use it but years ago ran out and never again. If you are Good Sam member Pilot discounts .05 cents a gallon with their rewards card. Good luck and enjoy.
Daves rv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 05:47 PM   #17

Elevation

Quartzsite either Loves or Pilot. Then just before Phoenix in Buckeye is a Loves. Fill up there instead of Phoenix if you are not comfortable with that trailer yet. Plus you are going to be going up in elevation once you are north of Phoenix on 17. Pretty steep climb and its long so you will be really sucking the gas. Also, don't take I-10 thru Phoenix and then up I-17. Take either 303 or 101 around and hook up with I-10 on the north side. I usually take 101 because one of the best RV parts store (State Trailer) is right off 101 in Peoria.
wanderer69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 06:08 PM   #18

I agree with Wanderer69. We live in the SE corner of AZ and we have to travel through Phoenix before we can hit the 101/102 loop north to 17. Our 35’ SOB literally sucked the gas in that long altitude climb, so top off at the Loves in Buckeye before hitting the metro area.

Happiness is just a ride away!
Sharon455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 06:35 PM   #19

Quote:

Wrong. You can put gas in a extra fuel tank. Check out Transfer Flow.
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 07:07 PM   #20

There are no RV friendly gas stations; you have to pay the same price as everyone else.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas