Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2021, 01:15 PM   #1

Best time to travel west

Hi there! Any suggestions on when is the best time of year to travel west, Colorado, Utah, etc. from Midwest? Avoiding wildfires and snow main concern.
lburke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 01:53 PM   #2

I'm thinking late May-early June to avoid the worst of the wildfires and miss most of the snow, except at higher elevations.
PodGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 02:01 PM   #3
Site Team

Late Spring.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 02:03 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PodGeek View Post
I'm thinking late May-early June to avoid the worst of the wildfires and miss most of the snow, except at higher elevations.
X2

Even though where I live we had wildfires start in early April this year. But we also had almost no snow this year and a no rain spring too so that didn’t help.
Backcountryboondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 03:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lburke View Post
Hi there! Any suggestions on when is the best time of year to travel west, Colorado, Utah, etc. from Midwest? Avoiding wildfires and snow main concern.
I just returned from a trip through the states mentioned. No fires encountered but enough smoke from CA fires to make air very uncomfortable.

Snow in CO an UT As well as the other mountain states can show up at anytime. Just less likely in Summer months.

I plan my trips into those states from late Spring to Mid/Late Fall. Then just make sure i'm prepared to hunker down for a few days should a storm pass through.

Extra food, plenty of propane, wark clothes, and sleeping bag(s).

Also chains for both TV and TT.

Being prepared seems to have a preventive effect for me----so far anyway.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 09:04 PM   #6

If you travel in the Rockies, it can snow at high elevations any time of the year. Always carry food, water, propane, sleeping bags, and warm clothing. If you plan for weather emergencies, you are prepared and may be uncomfortable. If you don't prepare, you could be dead.
BarabooBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 09:12 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
I just returned from a trip through the states mentioned. No fires encountered but enough smoke from CA fires to make air very uncomfortable.

Snow in CO an UT As well as the other mountain states can show up at anytime. Just less likely in Summer months.

I plan my trips into those states from late Spring to Mid/Late Fall. Then just make sure i'm prepared to hunker down for a few days should a storm pass through.

Extra food, plenty of propane, wark clothes, and sleeping bag(s).

Also chains for both TV and TT.

Being prepared seems to have a preventive effect for me----so far anyway.
What purpose would chains on the TT serve ? Semi's don't ever chain the trailers.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 09:17 PM   #8

I've traveled from Nebraska to Montana pretty much every month of the year. Probably 30-40 trips over the years. I start monitoring the weather about a week or two before I leave, just in case I need to make a change in plans. I follow the weather everyday for the entire trips, just to be safe.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 11:49 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
What purpose would chains on the TT serve ? Semi's don't ever chain the trailers.
actually semi's do chain trailers. required in many states when chains required and going down mountain passes. often just one rear wheel to keep trailer behind tractor.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 12:04 AM   #10

We leave Fort Worth the second week of May for central Idaho. Four years and zero problems. Next year could be non accessible. You never know until you look at current conditions. Plan well, plan ahead, and travel safe.
sbpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 12:59 PM   #11

I lived in Durango, Co for 14 years and, after selling our backpacking shop, bought our first rig and started working for the NPS as a seasonal Park Ranger.
Not aware of what Covid is doing, in normal times I would suggest after Aug. 15.That's when the crowds start thinning out as the kids have to be back in school. Yellowstone is also great then as the bears are scavenging to build up their fat layer before they hibernate, and are usually very visible
Old 09-15-2021, 01:47 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
Don't know where you travel, but chains are required for commercial vehicles to carry usually mid-Oct thru April. They can be required to be used on most highways in the West when conditions dictate. "Drag chains" keep the trailer in line with the tractor most of the time. A set of chains for one axle on your TT is more than just a good idea.
Dirt Sifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 01:56 PM   #13

I live in Montana west of Yellowstone Park. Lots of good suggestions so far-get the long range & daily forecast if-I had to chain up anything I wouldn’t move from a RV Park or Walmart. Utah can be pretty hot after June 1; I would consider late March thru May and then again in the fall would be great. Because of cold night temps in high elevation Utah & Colorado, be prepared for a quick winterization w/antifreeze- may last only a couple days. Daytimes very pleasant and warm, temp goes down w/ the sun at night.
Foothills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 02:14 PM   #14

Living in the high Rockies I find the best time to be out camping is the September-October time frame. The fall weather and colors are absolutely perfect. Days are warm and the nights are chilly enough to make for good sleeping. Snow storms are rare and the snow melts quickly. Spring is mud and mosquito season. Uncomfortable camping and limited hiking opportunities.
Less is More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 03:48 PM   #15

Some of us are suggesting a late spring time frame because the OP specifically mentioned wanting to avoid smoke from wildfires.
PodGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 05:10 PM   #16

If you have a diesel engine, ensure you have an engine warmer installed.
Ensure you have chains, keep your propane supply healthy, extra batteries, bottled water, warm clothing for sudden temoerature changes. We try to visit before school lets out or as folks are returning home to start a new school year. Check those 10 day weather forecasts wherever you plan on going!
DrippingDuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 07:57 PM   #17

Think Memorial Day to Labor Day. We have been snowed on earlier in the spring, last year with 4 inches on April 20 south of Pueblo, and just after Labor Day in the fall we have had snow. The only sure things are unprediuctable weather and unprepared flatlanders. Watch weather forecasts for wind and be prepared with winter supplies.
RPOD 180 and Ford XLT 150 5.0
Craig and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 08:28 PM   #18

This year in Arizona most of the wildfires were in June and early July. But no snow at that time. There is always areas to see and visit without any issues and maybe a little reroute
K5460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 08:54 PM   #19
Scoundrel

I'd travel mid to late spring; also September through October. Yes it can snow early fall but those storms are fast moving and drop their frozen precip on warm roads... doesn't last.

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 12:08 AM   #20

If Montana is one of your etc's, we just left Glacier NP. Great time to be there as the crowds are down some. The colors are starting to change in higher elevations. Also the weather is great for hiking and cool nights for sleeping but not much chance of having to drive through snow. We plan our long trip west from Michigan every year for just after Labor Day for these reasons.
markb422 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel