Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2016, 11:16 AM   #1

Big Bend National Park in May

Hi everybody, we are planning a trip to Big Bend national Park at the end of April or beginning of May for about two weeks. We will be traveling from Michigan to Austin Texas and then onward to Big Bend in our 32 foot Sabre fifth wheel. We were wondering if any of you kind folks out there had suggestions as to which of the three public campgrounds we might consider at that time of year, or perhaps other private campgrounds in the area and whether or not we should make reservations.We will be Boondocking or perhaps someplace with limited hook ups but are prepared for each eventuality. Any help , suggestions, ideas, or must see sights would be very welcome. Thank you so much for your time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Renogy Solar Suitcase
Progressive Industries EMS
Sea Eagle 420 Tandem Inflatable Kayak
Jimsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 11:31 AM   #2

I go to Terlingua every year for the World Chili Championship. That is right outside of Big Bend. There is a FHU campground behind the Big Bend Resort hotel. Seems really nice although I have never camped there.

2016 F250 2WD CC SB XLT 6.2 3,295 lb payload cap.
2014 Salem Hemisphere 282RK 8k lbs loaded, Equal-i-zer WDH, TST 507 TPMS
2021: 35 nights already booked so far
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 12:11 PM   #3

Another" Bend "National Park is in Al., Horseshoe Bend National Park! Youroo!!
Old 03-21-2016, 12:29 PM   #4

Thanks Teamfour ... I'm researching Terlingua. What is FHA? 😰
YouRoo... Yes, but is the bend BIG in Al? Can my fiver make it around the curve? 😜

Renogy Solar Suitcase
Progressive Industries EMS
Sea Eagle 420 Tandem Inflatable Kayak
Jimsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 02:29 PM   #5

Jim I think you are asking about "FHU" = Full Hook Up! Yes the Horseshoe Bend NP is easy to Navigate,our "Rig" Tows "Longer than a "5er"! Youroo!!
Old 03-22-2016, 11:32 AM   #6
edt

WE like this better at the ranch every thing in Museum is just like she left it Look up Stillwell Ranch and campground

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Re...ark_Texas.html
edt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 11:51 AM   #7

Marathon Hotel and RV park

Very nice people, and a nice place. Has Full Hook UPs, and a Landry and Showers. Also has Wi Fi.
Marathon is on the road to Big Bend, so you can excursion from there to the park. There is a no hookup parking lot you can camp at in the park itself. Didn't look fun to me.
hankpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 11:57 AM   #8

There is only one CG in the park w/FHU. That is Rio Grande Village. Won't hurt to make reservations. There is one in the Chisos Basin but you can't take your rig up there. Impossible road for your size. There is Cottonwood CG near Santa Elena Canyon which has water available, not at site. There are other CGs but they are listed as primitive and with your size rig, forget it. I lived in Alpine for four years so am familiar with the area. You might want to stay in Alpine for several days. LaVista CG about six miles south of town is isolated, but in town is Lost Alaskan which is very nice. Visit the Museum of the Big Bend while you are there and also go to Fort Davis. Any other questions, let me know.
Old 03-22-2016, 12:02 PM   #9

We've been several times and prefer VERY early Spring - Mid March - because of the heat, as we prefer to boon dock at the more minimal campgrounds. For the time of the year you are going I would definitely recommend full hookups, power at a minimum. You'll need to shower fairly often, or bring lots of cologne. Be aware that there is at least one campground with a 24' restriction (because of the road getting there). We were a 25' Class C and managed it without a problem but wouldn't want to pull a 32' trailer up there. Don't remember campground names.
RubberNail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 12:46 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Coolyard View Post
Hi everybody, we are planning a trip to Big Bend national Park at the end of April or beginning of May for about two weeks. We will be traveling from Michigan to Austin Texas and then onward to Big Bend in our 32 foot Sabre fifth wheel. We were wondering if any of you kind folks out there had suggestions as to which of the three public campgrounds we might consider at that time of year, or perhaps other private campgrounds in the area and whether or not we should make reservations.We will be Boondocking or perhaps someplace with limited hook ups but are prepared for each eventuality. Any help , suggestions, ideas, or must see sights would be very welcome. Thank you so much for your time.

There are only 2 rv parks in Big Bend National Park, make sure you fill up gas and get what you may need at Alpine or Marathon 74-78 miles to store 148 to closest Walmart. There is a rv park in Terlinga but is outside the park they have gas and groceries there be willing to pay higher price. The temperature will be on the rise mid may temperature will really heat up. We spent 2 weeks there and loved it.
Myrle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 01:00 PM   #11

If you go to Big Bend in May be aware that many of the park visitor centers and attractions will be closed for the summer. The extreme heat makes it almost impossible for them to keep the park entirely open. Make sure you visit the park web site to find the closing dates for the current year. We spent a week there last year right at the end of the season and really enjoyed it, but it was HOT in April. and at the end of stay things were closing. There is only 1 campground within the park that has hookups that you will fit into. The other campground does not have hook ups, and you can use your generator only during certain hours. If you camp outside the park, you will have an 18 mile one-way trip each day to get into the park. This is a fantastic park, make sure you take as many driving and walking trails that you can.
frogsandhogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 02:52 PM   #12
7 Year Class A RV'er

Especially pay attention to the high temps statement. It's beautiful out there but it's still Texas. Mid-May there can easily be triple digits. Wild and isolated, too. Last time we were there they warned you to be careful as the nearest hospital was three hours by helicopter for them to get there and back. As I recall, they also tell you to estimate two gallons of water consumption per day per adult for hydration only. Have fun but be careful. Highly recommend the horseback rides!

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 03:02 PM   #13

Length restrictions

Chinos Basin has length restrictions.
rainsmik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 03:10 PM   #14

Big Bend is hot in the summer; however, Arches NP is hotter.
Weather - Big Bend National Park (U.S. National Park Service)

Weather - Arches National Park (U.S. National Park Service)

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 07:07 PM   #15

Weve been there, good advice so far , I stayed in the park, but couldnt find it on the website. It is a vast place a must see. we took 2 guided tours . Have a good trip
Big Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 07:17 PM   #16
Site Team

We took a car trip there in February 3 years ago. We loved our stay there especially a couple of long hikes. The temperature ranged from perfect to pretty hot even in February. We stayed in the Big Bend Resort hotel left something to be desired but we saw the RV Park behind it which looked entirely adequate.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 08:34 PM   #17

We are here right now. So far Big Bend Resort is o.k. I am just not a park person, plus I need to take my computer up and haggle over the price. My confirmation said $25. and the dude at the counter got a little snippy with me. Did not want to have to find someplace else as Rio Grande Village was full our favorite Cottonwood, well we are not ready yet for boondocking. If you are a bird lover then Cottonwood is your place. Saw a Great Horned Owl today and a mating pair of Gray Hawks should be arriving any day. You are probably to big for the primitive campsites. In cruising around we went up to Terlingua Ranch Resort/RV. Off the beaten path and sits back into the mountains. Next time we return it will be Cottonwood for sure. I did my shopping at home for the whole week we will be here. Husband does not like trying to find a grocery store he can pull into and Wally world is not our choice for fresh food and meats.

2015 23 BD Gray Wolf
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 TX Edition 2015 - 7 nights, 2 trips, 2016 - 2 trip, 24 nights, 2017 1 trip, 3 nights 2018 1 trip, 93 nights

mdstudey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 08:42 PM   #18

P.S. No generators allowed in Cottonwood.

2015 23 BD Gray Wolf
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 TX Edition 2015 - 7 nights, 2 trips, 2016 - 2 trip, 24 nights, 2017 1 trip, 3 nights 2018 1 trip, 93 nights

mdstudey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 09:29 PM   #19

We stayed at Rio Grande Village inside the park. They have fiull hookups,laundry and also gas and diesel. It is 78 miles from Marathon so watch your fuel. We were in a 32 ft fifth wheel
brireey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 10:53 PM   #20
HikerBob

Send a message via MSN to HikerBob Send a message via Yahoo to HikerBob Send a message via Skype™ to HikerBob
Does one need to be concerned about illegal immigrants crossing the river into the park and campgrounds? We were there many years ago at Christmas time and took a little boat over to the village on the Mexican side, but if the river had been low we could have walked across. I think I would have a side-arm with me these days.
HikerBob is offline   Reply With Quote