Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2016, 09:34 AM   #1

Bighorn Mountains

I am planning on traveling from Mt. Rushmore to Yellowstone. The route will take us across the Bighorn Mts. on Rt 14. Has anyone taken this route and if so how is the pull up from east to west and the ride down. It seems like a pretty good elevation change across the Bighorns. I would prefer to cross on Rt. 14 because of the scenery but maybe I should consider a different route. I am pulling a Roo 19 with a Lincoln MKT (Ford Flex) with ecoboost engine and factory tow package. This includes a transmission oil cooler. I also recently upgrading the brakes in preparation for this trip.
rocknroos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 10:04 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Did the trip last month but took rt 16 instead. My GT was pulling a jeep and did fine. Was a little slow going up in places, but not that bad. I've heard that 14 has a lot more switch backs, but since you're not that long you should be fine. I think it will be a bit taxing on your vehicle though.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 10:06 AM   #3
Just A Member

Did that drive a couple years ago from Yellowstone to Black Hills. It was one of the most awesome and challenging drives I have ever towed the TT on. It had very steep grades and long pulls up and down but the views were worth it. I would do it again but I question the ability of you TV. I had my foot to the floor a lot and the hill descent option on the truck was kicked in most of the way down. This was with our old TT smaller and lighter than current one but same TV. Glad I had the 6.2. The river going thru Ten Sleep runs up hill thru town due to the speed coming out of the mountains. It was very cool to see. But only you know what your towing abilities are and how your TT pulls. It will be a challenge no matter what.
2013 Silverado 1500 4x4 6.2L Max Tow
EDABEUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 12:16 PM   #4

Just make sure you stay off 14A. It is very beautiful up there, I think like 10,700 feet of elevation. It is so beautiful, there is a Indian Medicine Wheel up there, you can see forever

spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 01:04 PM   #5

Don't plan on traveling 14A, but I am going 14 instead of 16 primarily for the views. I am not in any rush so the slowness of 14 and all of the switchbacks really aren't an issue for me. I have a camping site for overnight at shell creek campground so I am splitting up the trip from Mt. Rushmore to Yellowstone.
Old 07-30-2016, 04:34 PM   #6

Very pretty area but both 14's are a challenge that one might be wise to bypass. We stayed in Sheridan a month ago and took the truck on the 14, 14A loop. Not in interested in taking the RV through there. We went up to 90 and around.

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 04:45 PM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

16 out of Custer and through bighorns is not lacking in scenery by any means!!

Old 07-31-2016, 05:32 AM   #8

Here is a road sign for you

Russell Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1469961130.710961.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	268.7 KB
ID:	115881
CAT-RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 10:51 AM   #9

I was just up there yesterday with my brother riding quads. There was every kind of RV rig imaginable going up and down hwy14 or what we call the Dayton-Kane highway. The grade is a steady climb with switchbacks for over 20 miles. They have done lots of improvements since I was last up there in 1975. Can't say about going down the other side as I have never done that.
Take your time and joy it. The best eating place is Elk View Inn. Bear Lodge used to be ok but has gone downhill lately. Lots of campgrounds and boondock sites once on top.
Blackrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 11:25 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackrock View Post
I was just up there yesterday with my brother riding quads. There was every kind of RV rig imaginable going up and down hwy14 or what we call the Dayton-Kane highway. The grade is a steady climb with switchbacks for over 20 miles. They have done lots of improvements since I was last up there in 1975. Can't say about going down the other side as I have never done that.
Take your time and joy it. The best eating place is Elk View Inn. Bear Lodge used to be ok but has gone downhill lately. Lots of campgrounds and boondock sites once on top.
Is Bear Lodge on the DOWNHILL side...lol that's my morning laugh, thanks.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 11:43 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch Doctor View Post
Is Bear Lodge on the DOWNHILL side...lol that's my morning laugh, thanks.
Grrrrfff ya got me.
Blackrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 12:21 PM   #12

I was just mapping this out myself. Trying to decide on 14 or 16. We leave in just over 2 weeks. So good info...thanks for the question and answers.

Days Camped in last 3 years - 79
Planned Days in 2021 - 50
Days Camped in 2021 - 0
Justice12t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 09:24 PM   #13

It was my original plan to take route 14 across the Bighorns primarily because I thought it to be the more scenic of the two routes between Rt. 16 and 14. I have since kind of chickened out and decided to take RT. 16 across. I am not sure if the grade is any different but it seems to be the easier of the two routes and if going from east to west from Mt. Rushmore to Yellowstone it is the shorter of the two and I believe that it will very scenic also. I am leaving from Ohio this Sat. Aug 18 on a 5 week western trip that will take us to The Dells in Wisconsin then to Mt. Rushmore, Bighorns, Yellowstone, Tetons, Arches, Canyonland, Bryce, Zion, Grand Canyon and last the Petrified forest outside of Winslow and then back to Ohio. We should be crossing the Bighorns on Aug 20/21. We are stopping for the night at a campground in the Bighorns. I will let you know how the pull up the Bighorns on RT. 16 and down is. I am pulling a Rockwood Roo 19 with a Lincoln MKt w/ecoboost engine (Ford Flex).
Old 08-09-2016, 09:34 AM   #14

Sounds like a great trip. I would say take plenty of film, but I guess in this day-and-age, take large memory cards and a computer to backup the files.
Have fun.....

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 12:16 PM   #15

Just did this trip in June. From Wisconsin to Yellowstone and back thru the Black Hills. I'm pulling a 25ft TT with a 2014 Ford F-150 Ecoboost. Did alot of research on this route before leaving. Took Hwy 16 when heading West. Was a beautiful ride not too challenging but you want to pay attention to where you are going. Took Hwy 14 back when heading East. I read it was much easier going up from the West side and going down on the East side. Was alittle more challenging than 16 but very doable. Going up hill I never has an issue with speed. I could accelerate any time I wanted to and ecoboost was fantastic. Going down was another story. I put it in 1st gear and let the engine be my brakes. Most of the time we were going between 25 - 30 MPH heading down hill. I still needed to touch the brakes every now and then just to slow down a the curves. I don't think the brakes ever got very hot. Had a few people line up in back of me but I really didn't care about them and I pulled off a few times to let them pass.
I really enjoyed going over the Big Horns almost as much as Yellowstone
and the Black Hills. I often think of that trip over the mountains and I'd
love to do it again. You won't have a problem just gear down when going
down the hills.
Old 08-09-2016, 08:07 PM   #16

Heading this way in early September and plan to camp here too. Can't wait, 24 day trip in the Dakotas, Wyoming & Montana.

Forester 2451s
Old 08-10-2016, 11:29 AM   #17

Rocknroos, sounds like a great trip. We did a 7day trip through South Dakota Badlands, Custer state park, Yellowstone, grand Tetons in 2014 in a Tahoe before we got our RV. Totally unplanned, We took US-14 over the Big Horn mountains and would not want to do it with any RV. We are so glad we found this road though. The Big Horn mountains are beautiful. I found an good article (after we returned) by Mark Quasius online at RVTechMag.com "Exploring Yellowstone by RV" He gives good info on routes in and out Of YNP as well as traveling through the big horns. He recommends "NEVER take an RV in a westbound direction via us-14 or us-14A". We definitely plan on returning to all these areas when we have at least a month to enjoy. Have fun. Deb
TheLarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 12:43 PM   #18

Thanks for the info. After reading this, I am glad that I changed my plans on the route across the big horns. I don't think US 16 is going to be a cake walk but I believe that it will be easier that US 14.
Old 08-10-2016, 12:54 PM   #19
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknroos View Post
It was my original plan to take route 14 across the Bighorns primarily because I thought it to be the more scenic of the two routes between Rt. 16 and 14. I have since kind of chickened out and decided to take RT. 16 across. I am not sure if the grade is any different but it seems to be the easier of the two routes and if going from east to west from Mt. Rushmore to Yellowstone it is the shorter of the two and I believe that it will very scenic also. I am leaving from Ohio this Sat. Aug 18 on a 5 week western trip that will take us to The Dells in Wisconsin then to Mt. Rushmore, Bighorns, Yellowstone, Tetons, Arches, Canyonland, Bryce, Zion, Grand Canyon and last the Petrified forest outside of Winslow and then back to Ohio. We should be crossing the Bighorns on Aug 20/21. We are stopping for the night at a campground in the Bighorns. I will let you know how the pull up the Bighorns on RT. 16 and down is. I am pulling a Rockwood Roo 19 with a Lincoln MKt w/ecoboost engine (Ford Flex).
This was almost our exact trip we did in June, only originating in Dayton, OH.

Tags
mount