Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2017, 01:28 PM   #1
Empty Nesters

Calif to Oregon in Spring - Siskiyou Summit

We are new to RVing and just got a Class C. One of the main reasons of getting it was to get up to Albany, Oregon to visit the grandkids. I won't have the vacation time to go up there before winter/spring and I was wondering if anyone had any insight as to the earliest we should plan a trip without hitting winter driving conditions in the passes.

Any other advice on the route and things to see would be appreciated. We will be leaving home in Santa Maria, CA on the Central Coast of California a little below Pismo Beach.
Old 09-07-2017, 01:44 PM   #2

Tripcheck has traffic cams. Check them for road conditions freequently. Even after last winters bad weather I5 was mostly open. Some days chains may be required. In fact I would advise carrying chains when coming north.
donniedu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 03:13 PM   #3
Site Team

We've made this trip many times.
If the weather is good, we go I5.
If it's snowy or icy, we take 101 and cut back over to I5 we we're past the snow.
101 in Oregon, rarely gets snow.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 03:16 PM   #4
Empty Nesters

My plan right now is to never buy chains and never need to use them! 14 years of driving in Denver and I'm all done with that, especially in a MH. Now I figure we can plan our trips around the weather and only hit those areas when the threat of snow is gone!
Old 09-07-2017, 03:21 PM   #5
Empty Nesters

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
We've made this trip many times.
If the weather is good, we go I5.
If it's snowy or icy, we take 101 and cut back over to I5 we we're past the snow.
So if a freak spring snow storm pops up and we don't want to wait it out just go west to 101 and back over further up. Are those east-west routes pretty good in a MH? and 101?

I live right off the 101 on the Central Coast of California but I know that is a different animal.
Old 09-07-2017, 05:24 PM   #6
Site Team

Yes, once you get north of Cottage Grove, the West to East roads are usually good.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 12:46 PM   #7

I too have driven the pass many times and other posters have given great advice. I typically timed my trip to cross the pass in the afternoon.
lacamastraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 05:33 PM   #8

Agree with OP's on comments. I used to live just below Siskiyou Summit and every winter there were storms that shut down I5 fro Ashland, Or to Yreka, Ca and people were stuck in their cars. Do two things before you plan on heading north late October on: 1) check ODOT Trip check for snow conditions and road (there is a reason there is a ski area at Siskiyou Summit) 2) really consider a westerly route using 101. If you come up I5, weather is bad, do not take 299 or they will find you during the spring thaw.
2008 Jeep JKS
Ready Brute Elite / Blue Ox BP
High Desert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 05:35 PM   #9

Should be good after march

I live in Albany and the In-laws are in Vacaville so I have driven this I-5 stretch a hundred times. It is usually in very good condition from Mid March through November. As others have said, just check the cameras at Weed and Siskiyou summit. Also check weather report for Yreka and Weed. It can be difficult during the storms, but clears up fairly quickly as this is a major route for trucks and west coast travelers. Some long grades, but nothing concerning.
Good luck and bring your boots. No umbrellas, as that is how we tell the tourists from the locals.
DrBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 05:40 PM   #10

Might want to read here

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...WXk-cTdxeoeRDw
donniedu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 05:47 PM   #11
Empty Nesters

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBeav View Post
It is usually in very good condition from Mid March through November.
Thank you all for your advice. I do not need or want to drive this stretch in winter conditions. I just need to know when it is likely to be done for the season so I can schedule my vacation.

I think I will plan for an April trip, keeping an eye on the weather and being prepared to stay in place overnight for the weather to clear or detour to the 101 around the mountains and then back to Albany if a late spring storm comes by.

Now that I look at the 101 I might just make that my first choice. It looks scenic with lots of good campgrounds to stop in.
Old 09-08-2017, 05:53 PM   #12
Empty Nesters

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBeav View Post
I live in Albany and the In-laws are in Vacaville so I have driven this I-5 stretch a hundred times.
My son and his family live in Albany right on Thornton Lake. We will have to look you up next spring!

Any good dump sites around since we will be staying in his driveway?

Thanks.