Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2022, 01:06 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by mekkerlc View Post
We were supposed to do this trip summer of 2020, but Covid derailed that. Now we are planning it for Summer 2023.

Summer 2021 we did 3.5 weeks in ND, SD, WY, and MT seeing those National Parks.

Summer 2018 we did 4.5 weeks in AZ, UT, and CO National Parks

Looking at routing California stops right now and booking sites once I have a route confirmed. 32-days is the length. Kids will be 16, 14, 12, 10...we are all very active and don't mind the long drives and short stops...we make the most out of our time by getting to hikes at 6am etc...
  • Lake Tahoe/Reno (stopover coming from SLC)
  • San Francisco (Marin RV Park?)
  • Yosemite NP (Yosemite Rivers RV Park?)
  • Pinnacles NP
  • Kings Canyon & Sequoia (stay in Three Rivers?)
  • Channel Islands NP (stay in Ventura?)
  • San Diego (Campland on the Bay?)
  • Joshua Tree NP
  • Las Vegas (stop at Death Valley NP)

Thoughts on this route and order of stops?
(of course I wish we had more time, but this is what we have!)
Just did a CA trip this past Mar-April.

For Channel Islands we did a day trip from Valencia Travel Village RV Resort. Sites are tight, many long term folks. They do have two pools. Conveniently located for CI. Also convenient for day trips going up the coast.

Death Valley in the summer? No way. It was hot in the afternoons in Mar. Far from everywhere so hard to do a short morning trip which is all I would consider.

Stayed in Pinnacles NP, site with elec. Could be hot for your visit, perfect temps in April.

Stayed at Yosemite Lakes RV Resort and did day trips into the park. A bit of a drive but we couldn't fit by brother's camper into the private campground at EL Portal- Indian Flats Campground- looks ideally located. Max maybe 25 ft camper.

2016 APEX 215rbk
2016 F-150 4WD 3.55 3.5l ecoboost
jwfrede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 01:18 PM   #22

Quote:
Appreciate all the feedback!

We expect the heat and the crowds at the different stops and are prepared to deal with that. Nothing we aren't familiar with in our travels.
This trip is a great opportunity to get the family out to California, so we want to make the most of the limited time we have...hence all the stops.

We won't really change our mind about the stops on the route. Its more the route and order of stops we are concerned about.

Someone suggested going to Yosemite first, and then SF, etc... But looking at driving directions, that seems to bring us from SLC south to Yosemite...then back north for SF...then south again to Kings/Sequoia, etc...

This is where I am eager to learn and implement the best route for efficiencies...mileage and time of course.
I used to live north of San Francisco in the early years, 50's & 60's, left in 1972. Went back in 2018 and stayed at the Petaluma KOA https://koa.com/campgrounds/san-fran...-type/lodging/
Expensive but there's not much else. I remember seeing an ad for a SF tour company. Enjoyed the KOA but read the reviews and see if it's for you. What I like about that location is you are not far from SF/Golden Gate Bridge, the coast, back roads to get you around. Petaluma has all necessary stores, fuel, etc. Marin and Sonoma counties have parks, history, wine, the Pacific Ocean.
Enjoy your adventure!
OldGal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 01:45 PM   #23

A lot of people take their RV's to Lawson's Landing in Dillon Beach. It's on Tomales bay. It's cool and breezy but a lot of people come from the Sacramento area to escape the heat. Hightway 1 Is really different from any other. Pt Reyes National Seashore is a fun but long drive if you go all the way to the lighthouse. The Old Marconi Wireless Station is interesting. Maybe get some oysters at Tomales bay Oyster Co or a bowl of clam chowder at Nick's Cove. Or head north to Bodega. We like to get chowder at Spud Pt Crab Co. and take it out to Bodega head and watch the surf.
Pacifictime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 02:38 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Whitlock View Post
Take a look at Lassen Volcanic Park.
Highway 396 north out of Reno, Turns into Highway 36 West in Susanville, Ca.
Just west, outside of Susanville, you have a choice of Highway 44 to North entrance or Highway 36 to south entrance go thru park and take either 44 or 36 west to Interstate 5, then south to SF.
We just left CA and went south to north hitting many of your spots. I second Lassen Volcanic Park. We stayed at Lassen West Village. No frills, but sites were huge and hosts were incredibly friendly. FHU.
Mikeytheb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 02:58 PM   #25

Quote:
Appreciate all the feedback!

We expect the heat and the crowds at the different stops and are prepared to deal with that. Nothing we aren't familiar with in our travels.
This trip is a great opportunity to get the family out to California, so we want to make the most of the limited time we have...hence all the stops.

We won't really change our mind about the stops on the route. Its more the route and order of stops we are concerned about.

Someone suggested going to Yosemite first, and then SF, etc... But looking at driving directions, that seems to bring us from SLC south to Yosemite...then back north for SF...then south again to Kings/Sequoia, etc...

This is where I am eager to learn and implement the best route for efficiencies...mileage and time of course.
Yosemite and SF are not much different in latitude. But east and west is a big difference. Plus if you come in the summer and Tioga pass is open you can enter Yosemite from the east. Also you might want to checkout Bodie state park. I live in the Sierra foot hills and have been to Bodie 5 times. I always find more interesting things. If you go and sign up in the morning you can get a tour through the stamping mill. There were 9 originally and this one is the one that has the machine shop.
aircommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 03:12 PM   #26

A few nice stops are Carpenteria State Park, oceanfront, just north of Ventura. Also, Leo Carrillo State Bch. & Campground in Malibu, just south of Ventura. Just south of Yosemite is the Mammoth Lakes area; many campgrounds, lakes, hiking , fishing, kayaking, Mammoth Mtn. (Ski Resort) mountain biking down the mountain, San Simeon/Hearst Castle( tours) on the central CA coast just above Cambria.
mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 05:35 PM   #27

The Mt Lassen hike is a good one not too long, 2 1/2 miles. From 8500 to 10,500 ft. Beautiful views. Not too hard but it is strenuous and a real Cascade adventure.
Pacifictime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 06:22 PM   #28

Lassen national park

There is a great KOA in Shingletown. Very close to Lassen National Park is not that far from McArthur Burney Falls. Lassen is sparsely visited. That’s great because it’s an awesome park that’s not crowded. Bring your hiking shoes!
I would avoid San Francisco at all costs.
bmwdave52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 07:19 PM   #29

Quote:
[*]Yosemite NP (Yosemite Rivers RV Park?)
Did you possibly mean Yosemite Lakes RV Park? It's outside the park about 20 minutes and about 50 minutes from the valley. Not my favorite place, but it the closest with full hooks. The valley still requires reservations to enter, so you might to get that lined up, as the will sell out in about 15 minutes.

As to SF, that place is a world class hole. Just leave your truck unlocked if you do go and save yourself a broken window.
Old 07-18-2022, 09:35 PM   #30

National parks

Make sure to check on reservations to national Parks. Reservations are $2 per vehicle. I know Yosemite requires them now. Sequoia did not this year but that could change.
Finally camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 08:37 AM   #31

I agree about Mt Lassen.
In summer I would forget about not only Death Valley, but Joshua Tree and Las Vegas except for passing through. 115 with a low of 95.
ppine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 02:33 PM   #32

Wow, not much love for SF! Haha
I get it -- but I think we'll keep it as a stop.
Idea will be to look closer at taking a ferry to the city one day...and yes, hit all the tourist traps. Someone on here suggested finding one of those hop-on, hop-off trains, which might include Alcatraz, etc.
Maybe the second day drive up to wine country or visit Muir Woods NM.

Someone also mentioned hitting Lassen -- I would love to, but with such limited time we have...I am going to have to stick that stop with a PNW trip, including Red Rood NP, Crater Lake NP, and north.
Andersen Ultimate Aluminum 2 Gooseneck Mount
mekkerlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 02:34 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeytheb View Post
We just left CA and went south to north hitting many of your spots. I second Lassen Volcanic Park. We stayed at Lassen West Village. No frills, but sites were huge and hosts were incredibly friendly. FHU.
Mike -- can you share with me what route and stops you hit on your CA trip?
I am still unsure which order a few of my stops should be.
Old 07-20-2022, 03:04 PM   #34
Site Team

Quote:
Wow, not much love for SF! Haha

I get it -- but I think we'll keep it as a stop.

Idea will be to look closer at taking a ferry to the city one day...and yes, hit all the tourist traps. Someone on here suggested finding one of those hop-on, hop-off trains, which might include Alcatraz, etc.

Maybe the second day drive up to wine country or visit Muir Woods NM.

Someone also mentioned hitting Lassen -- I would love to, but with such limited time we have...I am going to have to stick that stop with a PNW trip, including Red Rood NP, Crater Lake NP, and north.
Any trip to Alcatraz would require a ferry ride from Pier 39.
When you say "hop on/off trains", do you mean the trolley cars or cable cars?
Wine country has very little for children. That's why Napa Valley is often called Disneyland for adults. Having lived in Napa Valley and Sonoma Valley for 25 years, I wouldn't take my kids there. It is pretty and scenic country though.
Muir Woods is a great place to get a taste of redwood forests.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 09:06 AM   #35
Travel Trailer Delight!

Smile CN Park Trip

When in Vegas, don't miss the Valley of Fire State Park. There is camping there if you can get a spot, otherwise a large boon docking space just outside the park. There is a large concentration of geologic sites, slot canyons and pictographs all located in this park. Hiking anywhere from 1-2 miles up to ten. One of my favorites
Boucherk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 10:40 AM   #36

Valley of Fire in summer? Nope.
ppine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 03:50 PM   #37

Okay -- narrowed down the route to this (yes, I removed San Francisco!!):
  • Yosemite NP (Yosemite LakesRV Park)
  • Monterey/Santa Cruz/Pinnacles NP
  • Joshua Tree NP

I already made reservations at Yosemite Lakes.

Now I need to decide on where to stay to visit Kings Canyon and Sequoia...single base camp...with full hookups.
Will likely do one full day of sightseeing and hikes in one park...and two full days of sight seeing and hikes in the other park.

Any thoughts on where to stay? Thinking a campground in Three Rivers?
Old 07-26-2022, 04:36 PM   #38

Quote:
Okay -- narrowed down the route to this (yes, I removed San Francisco!!):
  • Yosemite NP (Yosemite LakesRV Park)
  • Monterey/Santa Cruz/Pinnacles NP
  • Joshua Tree NP

I already made reservations at Yosemite Lakes.

Now I need to decide on where to stay to visit Kings Canyon and Sequoia...single base camp...with full hookups.
Will likely do one full day of sightseeing and hikes in one park...and two full days of sight seeing and hikes in the other park.

Any thoughts on where to stay? Thinking a campground in Three Rivers?
you are visiting places where I lived, born and raised in Santa Cruz, moved to Groveland and flew back to my business, then moved to Greeley Hill near Yosemite Westlake RV park. I was hosting people for free here for a few years then they sold the website and I didn’t like the buyer or his attitude so I quit and lost my credits. OH well.
aircommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 04:49 PM   #39

OK seeing that I liv in the SF Bay Area I'll provide some points in the area to stay. You can visit SF if you have a car

Half Moon Bay State Park California State Parks
Wrights Beach Sonoma California State Park
Santa Cruz North / Costanoa KOA
Doran Regional Park Bodega Bay
Sunset State Beach - California State Parks
Marina Dunes RV Park
New Brighton State Beach California State Parks
2019 57:2020 20:2021 30:2022 46:2023 47:2024 7
robo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 09:25 PM   #40

I have lived in southern California most of my life. For Sequoia-Kings Canyon do not try to drive into the park with your rig from Three Rivers. The road is extremely windy with hairpin turns and not recommended for anything over 22 feet total length ( TV+TT ).

However if you plan to leave the TT in Three Rivers and take your truck into the park you will be OK. Otherwise plan to use the northern route into Kings Canyon NP.
A word of warning about Death Valley, it regularly tops 120 degrees in the summer.

Safe Travels!
Gregq291 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
california