Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2016, 10:31 PM   #1

Canyon Village Yellowstone and Trailer Length

I need help/advice from those who have camped at Canyon Village in Yellowstone with a 32'TT or similar. We booked a 40' site with the thought of having our 32' trailer parked there (RV as described on the website) and possibly parking our TV there if there was room or at our friends site that allows for 2 cars. (they are tent camping with one car). Now we are freaking out because we have heard we may get turned away at the gate because our overall length would be 52' with TT and TV hooked together even though our trailer would fit in the 40' spot on it's own and we have a spot for our TV. Anyone done this at Canyon Village in Yellowstone?
Old 03-22-2016, 11:15 PM   #2

Please read this:

RV Parks And Campsites At Yellowstone Park | Yellowstone National Park Lodges, Wyoming

and this:

http://www.yellowstonenationalparklo...on-campground/

They do refer to sites with a "maximum combined length" of 40'. The second linked page states, "When calling to make a reservation be prepared to give the size of your tent (in feet) or the combined length of your RV and any other vehicles or towed vehicles. (e.g. the length of your truck in addition to the length of your trailer when fully open.) Please keep in mind that most campsites in Yellowstone will not accommodate oversize units. If you arrive at the campground/RV park with equipment different than that for which you have reserved, we will not be able to accommodate you."

However, if you can park your tow vehicle at another camp site, that might work. Strongly suggest you call them ahead and speak to a manager and if it's OK, get his/her name to pull into the discussion on arrival if there is an issue raised.

Then be darn sure that other party doesn't cancel out on you!
Old 03-22-2016, 11:50 PM   #3
GLCM Warrior

We did exactly that at Canyon Village in August of 2012. Our TT and TV combined length was 52 ft but since we needed 2 sites - one for our TT and one for a tent for our son's family, we called in our reservation and explained that we intended to park our TV on the tent site with our son's passenger van and they said that would be fine. We made our trip and had no problems.

We are going again this year with our 5'er and TV at a combined length of 52 ft as well. This time we plan to stay at Grant Village Campground and called in our reservation in the same manner as we also needed a tent site for our daughter's family. We explained again that we could park our TV on the tent site with our daughter's vehicle and they said that would work and booked our reservation.

Hopefully we don't get turned away when we arrive!

Safe travels!
Lefty59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 01:24 PM   #4

I was told by the park rangers that it was 50ft hooked up. I wish it is 52ft. I am 51 1/2ft

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 02:16 PM   #5

Yellowstone Camping.

I saw the same thing at Yellowstone where no sites are listed at over 40'. For combined vehicle and trailer longer than 40' you need to call the reservations folks and they will reserve a double wide spot so that your vehicle can park in the site next to the trailer. They say they don't advertise this.
jwfrede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 03:45 PM   #6

I camped there last fall with my 34RL Cedar Creek, which is 37 foot long. This is from the front pin box to the rear of the camper. My truck which is a 2008 Ram Mega Cab has an over all length of 22'+/- a foot. The combined over all length when towing is 55'. We had no problem with the site that we were assigned to parking our trailer and truck on the site. I parked the truck to the side of the trailer with no issue.

Trailer Village is designed to handle 45' motor homes with their toads which is longer than your trailer and truck.

There is also an over flow parking lot for other vehicles that is walking distance to any site in the trailer village.

Tags
trailer