Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2019, 07:53 PM   #1

Clovis CA to The Black Hills of SD, and back!

We started the trip on September 14, leaving Clovis CA and home for the next 16 days. Our intent was to travel to Las Vegas the first day, Provo Utah the second, Rawlins Wyoming the third, and end up in Rapid City South Dakota the afternoon of the fourth day. Our route was HWY 99 to HWY 58, then I 15 to Oasis Las Vegas RV Resort for the first night. The second night we were at the Lakeside RV Resort in Provo Utah, the entire day on I 15. After picking up I 80 outside of Salt Lake, we continued East to Rawlins Wyoming, and spent the night at the Rawlings KOA Journey. The final day would have us leaving Rawlings and going through Casper up to I 90 and east into Rapid City. With the exception of California, ALL of the roads traveled were excellent. The only place I could raise a comment was in the Salt lake area, where the concrete was undulating, but smooth. There was minimal construction along the route, and when there was, it was short and well marked, with plenty of room to navigate.
As I write this we have been in the Rapid City KOA Holiday for the last 7 days. They have a great park, excellent staff, and a genuine interest that you see everything there is on offer in the area. And there is a LOT to take in in 7 days! Rushmore, Custer State Park, museums, exabits, historical towns, you name it, it's here. We have had buffalo surround the car, burros coming up to have their ears scratched,(and this is open range) big horn sheep, pronghorn, antelope, elk, right down to prairie dogs. For a couple of cityidiots we were awe struck everyday.
But, tonight is prep for moving day. We're getting ready to head home via Sacramento, so we can see the kids new house and spoil those two grandsons with all the stuff Nanna bought! I'll up date the thread when we get back to the house.
Mooney 78865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 09:29 PM   #2

Great trip report. Our experience in Rapid City was great! The people were very friendly and warm. Sounds like you are having a great time. Safe travels.

elchilero53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 10:26 PM   #3

Hi from Colorado, grew up in Fresno.
Old 09-25-2019, 08:59 PM   #4

As promised, an update on the journey home. We left the Rapid City KOA Tuesday morning under overcast skies and blustery wind. The plan was to head to Rock Springs for the night, 490 mile away. Everything went according to plan but the "quickest route" was a bit of a misnomer. We started out on HWY 75 with multiple twists and turns to reach I25, with more twists and turns before reaching I80. Ultimately we did get to I80, but I wonder if the "longer" route west on I90 to I25, would have been quicker. Be that as it may, the wind was horrific! 25-35 on the nose the whole way to Rock Springs! Mileage went in the toilet on that leg! Up at the crack of dawn this morning for the push to Winnemucca NV. The wind had diminished a bit over night but still blowing 15-25 mph all the way through Wyoming. Strangest thing, when we crossed into Utah, the wind stopped. I mean right at the border! Weird... Utah and eastern Nevada must do all of their road work in the late summer. Probably 100 miles total on I80 were single lane. Wasn't a huge issue as we don't go over 65 mph, and the construction areas were typically 55 mph. Traffic was light and not a problem. Without the headwind it was a very pleasant drive. We are so thankful with the new Georgetown XL over our previous Four Winds. Our coach is freakishly quiet. No rattles, no squeaks. Handles like a dream. (coming up on 17,000 miles, we've done 10,000 in the year we've owned it) A huge improvement from our last coach. Of course 15 years newer helps a bit as well!
Anyway, we're in Winnemucca Nevada tonight at the Silver State RV park. 550 miles closer to the kids and home. Tomorrow a "short" 350 mile day to the Auburn Gold Country RV park and a visit to the kids new place. Then 200 miles south to Clovis. I'm really going to miss driving out of California, the roads outside the state are great. California? the roads SUCK!!!
Old 09-26-2019, 12:56 PM   #5

Nice reports...good info! Glad you had a memorable trip.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 03:16 PM   #6

It may not seem like much but check out the Founding Fathers museum. Also, Bear Country USA. Both in Rapid City. Keep a close watch on the weather since there is a big storm heading in your direction.
ajbaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 06:40 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaber View Post
It may not seem like much but check out the Founding Fathers museum. Also, Bear Country USA. Both in Rapid City. Keep a close watch on the weather since there is a big storm heading in your direction.
Ya know we drove by the Founding Fathers museum...twice. We never had the chance to stop. We had our itinerary pretty booked. I'm not sure why, we had 7 days there.
As for the weather, we missed it. Just got back to Clovis CA this afternoon. Motorhome is unloaded, washed, back in storage with the cover on! 3,159 miles round trip. We had two days of high winds, no rain, and no scary moments. EVERYTHING worked like a champ! The coach ran flawless. Without a headwind, it is quiet a church inside. The wife and I had some great conversations, and she burned up a lot of battery in the Nikon. We met a number of couples from around the states at the campground, shared a number of campfires and a few bottles of wine as well. Seems like we had an endless supply of cookies, pies, and fresh baked bread the whole trip. I think Bubba likes the convection microwave!
I have her leveling the coach and doing various odds and ends, but she still won't drive! At least she is sitting in the drivers seat now and again. Baby steps, we'll get there!
I
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_E1351.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	310.5 KB
ID:	215945  

Tags
black