Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2020, 11:18 AM   #1

Colorado 160 between Walensburg and Durango

Just looking for info on that part of our trip as it seems like NM is off limits to out of state travelers for overnite stops. I see Wolf Creek Pass as the one major pass. I have a diesel PU and pulling a 25 foot bumper pull TT. Any thoughts.

Flatlander from the bayous with minimum experience trailering in the Rockies.
Tigerstripes7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 11:23 AM   #2
Scoundrel

I've travelled that route many times. You won't have any problems. Wolf Creek Pass does have some sharp switchbacks but nothing unusual. 18-wheel semi's use the same route.

Go slow over the pass and enjoy the views.

Edit: Yes there have been crashes on Wolf Creek with big rigs. Simply go slow and you'll be fine.

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 11:56 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerstripes7 View Post
Just looking for info on that part of our trip as it seems like NM is off limits to out of state travelers for overnite stops. I see Wolf Creek Pass as the one major pass. I have a diesel PU and pulling a 25 foot bumper pull TT. Any thoughts.

There is a army corp park west of south fork co. Beautiful make reservations. they have 1st come 1st serve . before pagosa springs forest roads take you to camping on river , primitive You need a forest map. 160 north out of pagosa springs to williams creek res. camping is beautiful and lots of spots. army corp park above lake, forest campground. below lake.
Thomas ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 12:32 PM   #4

When you start the downhill side use the engine brake on full and move down to a lower gear and you'll have no problems. Good road and not bad in an RV.
Lots a places to camp along the Rio.
Old 07-11-2020, 01:20 PM   #5
SJB

Quote:

If you have the time, check out Navajo State Park which is south of Pagosa Springs. Also, the hot springs at Pagosa Springs might be a nice relief from the fun of going over Wolf Creek Pass.

Enjoy and please wear a mask when you can't social distance. Our numbers are going up here in Colorado.
Old 07-11-2020, 02:15 PM   #6

The biggest mistake most flat landers make is when reaching the top of the pass, they think they've got it made, and hit the gas going over the top. Once you have that head of steam heading down hill it's tough to get it back under control without smoking your brakes and tranny especially when pulling a load. You'll be chugging up the hill, but as you hit the top keep your speed under control, and stay geared down as you go over the top. Make sure before you make the trip you know your brakes are all in good shape, your brake controller is operating properly and adjusted correctly. Do a little planning and it will be a fun exciting experience. Put the pedal to the metal and be impatient and it will be an experience you'll never forget. Most people behind you understand why you're going slow, but if you get the opportunity, try to let them by without making things unsafe.
One other note is be sure your cooling system is in good operating condition for the pull up the hill.

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 02:39 PM   #7

Quote:

I've done the same route in the 3.5 EB gasser , no issues that I remember pulling any hills, although I doubt I did wolf creek pass at the full speed limit of 45 mph. I find that going down these big mountains are more of an issue. I probably went down the mountain at 25-30 mph to help give the brakes time to cool.

I see NM still has stay at home orders and quarantine but out of staters can still pass through following the rules below. I assume essentials like food and gas can still be purchased.

I had balloon festival reservations, canceled, but thought I would stay near Taos for that part of my trip. Guess I'll stay in Colorado instead. Probably run CO 160 E to W this time.

But for travelers from out of state(from NM websitehttps://www.newmexico.gov/2020/07/07/new-mexico-travel-restrictions-in-effect/:

Do out of state visitors have to self-quarantine even if they own a home in New Mexico?

Yes. If visitors or part-time residents plan to stay in New Mexico longer than two weeks for any reason, you must self-quarantine for the first 14 days when coming in from another state.

If you are staying in New Mexico for fewer than two weeks, you also must self-quarantine for the duration of your stay or up to 14 days, whichever is shorter. (For example, if you plan to stay at a hotel for two nights before leaving the state, you must self-quarantine for the duration of your stay.)

Does that apply to people in RV’s as well?

Yes. Travelers must self-quarantine wherever they are staying.

What if travelers are simply passing through New Mexico to get to another destination in a different state?

This is not a time to shop for souvenirs, visit state parks or sightsee. Please recognize that if you are traveling amid a global pandemic you are bringing the risk of a highly contagious and lethal virus with you and taking it with you as you go. You must wear a face-covering if you are in public while in the state. Please limit your activities to only the essentials.

What if I’m a trucker and have to make deliveries in New Mexico?

Most trucking services fall under the logistical transporting functions incorporated in the essential businesses of the state’s operative emergency public health order and are exempt from the quarantine requirement. But all visitors in the state are still required to wear face-coverings and follow COVID-safe best practices.

2016 APEX 215rbk
2016 F-150 4WD 3.55 3.5l ecoboost
jwfrede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 03:38 PM   #8

Should be know problem but slow and easy down shifting and do not ride your brakes. Semi fo it and there r a couple of pull overs at top of pass if u need them .
Jdhudkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 05:44 PM   #9

CO 160

Well, I agree with most of what has been posted already. Last summer my wife (I guess most guys say DW on this forum but how could it not be?) and I
went from northeastern AZ into CO, via 491 and then taking 160. We stayed west of Mancos, visiting the incomparable Mesa Verde NP! We then took 160 east to Alamosa (to see Great Sand Dunes NP).

We have done a lot of traveling the past three years throughout the west and we are from Oregon originally, so we have been across a lot of mountain ranges and passes at various elevations. I would just say that going over an 11,000 foot pass will be something new. It is not difficult nor is it dangerous. The road over Wolf Creek Pass is very good. But, you will be negotiating switch backs and traveling along drop offs that are spectacular! Just take it easy both up and down and things will be fine.

We have a F350 Super Duty diesel crew cab single rear axle pulling a FR 26RL TT with a trailer length of 31 feet (total length 51 feet) and had no issues getting up and down. We use the Tow Haul, judicious speed, and take it easy. This rig has gotten us from Tucson throughout AZ, CO, NV, WY, UT, ID, OR, WA, and CA successfully.

Please do get to the National Parks you will be near. They are great.
Wilgarison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 09:32 PM   #10

Thanks everyone for your responses. I have driven the pass and others in pick ups and cars over the year. We are headed to outside Dolores for a week over to Zion and up to GNP for nine days. We will figure out a return depending on heat. Just questions about the pass to calm the Mrs. I told her it was better from east to west as your are on the inside and she wont be looking over the edge.

Sad thing we were in GNP two summers ago and were based on the west side and saved the east side for this visit this time. This will be a year to remember for travel and vacation so much for the first year of retirement.
Tigerstripes7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 09:50 PM   #11

FYI, New Mexico still has fairly restrictive Covid orders. Passing thru is no problem whatsoever. Yes, you are required to quarantine 14 days if staying in the state. All the state parks were closed to non-residents on Thursday 7/9. No overnight camping for anyone. But thru travel is just fine unless you planned to get off the interstates and onto native reservations. For the most part they are closed to non-residents. But thru traffic is still allowed on major roads. $100 fine for not wearing a mask in public places.
deadstump is offline   Reply With Quote