Old 08-05-2020, 10:34 AM   #1

Colorado here we come for a month!

As many are home during these pendemic times my DW and I decided we have to roll! All of our 2020 plans are cancelled so we decided to find a cooler spot than in Phoenix Arizona.

We were able to find a great small campground in the southern part of Colorado and we booked for a full month for $640 and that includes tax and electric. Backin with shade trees, cable TV, great wifi, clean bathrooms and a Super Walmart . My wife is happy and so am I.
Has great reviews and rating on Yelp and GoodSams
Manager made some adjustments to fit me and just had someone cancel their month reservations. Lucky me.

The name of the campground is The Sundance RV Park in Cortez Colorado.

So lets hear from anyone from that area or has used that campground int he past.
No matter what is said it has to be better than sitting at home.

Old 08-07-2020, 11:24 AM   #2

What no one else want to join us?
Old 08-07-2020, 05:22 PM   #3

I did stay 3 days at Sundance a couple years ago and found it to be clean and OK; not memorable but OK. I couldn't get reservations at a site in Durango and Sundance was the closest. I will say that if I stayed in Durango I would not have a visit to Cortez on my itinerary but in and around Durango (about 45 miles) was on the daily itinerary from Cortez. 30 days at Sundance would be to long a stay for me but that's me. I hope you enjoy the cooler weather which should be in the low 90's to low 50's which is great. It is a nice area and scenic and being able to travel anywhere at this time is a plus. Hope every type businesses are open. Have a nice trip.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 05:55 PM   #4

Since you are in the area, I would suggest driving over the "Million Dollar Highway" (Highway 550 from Silverton to Ouray.) Other things to do--Mesa Verda, Canyon of the Ancients National Monument, ride the Durango Silverton Narrow gauge railroad and Natural bridges National Monument. Ask the local and do a Google search. You will find something to do. Durango is not far and has some interesting things to do.
BarabooBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 06:21 PM   #5

Hope you have a wonderful time that exceeds expectations. I always thought Cortez was a bit warmer. Mid 80ís to low 90ís have got to be better for you.
Old 08-07-2020, 06:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
I did stay 3 days at Sundance a couple years ago and found it to be clean and OK; not memorable but OK. I couldn't get reservations at a site in Durango and Sundance was the closest. I will say that if I stayed in Durango I would not have a visit to Cortez on my itinerary but in and around Durango (about 45 miles) was on the daily itinerary from Cortez. 30 days at Sundance would be to long a stay for me but that's me. I hope you enjoy the cooler weather which should be in the low 90's to low 50's which is great. It is a nice area and scenic and being able to travel anywhere at this time is a plus. Hope every type businesses are open. Have a nice trip.
Thanks. Yes the only reason going it to cool down below 80 degrees. LOL
Yes Sundance is a nice little spot. Nothing fancy but clean and plenty of trees.

We also looked into Durango and may drive over and take a closer look for possibly next years getaway.
Old 08-07-2020, 07:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarabooBob View Post
Since you are in the area, I would suggest driving over the "Million Dollar Highway" (Highway 550 from Silverton to Ouray.) Other things to do--Mesa Verda, Canyon of the Ancients National Monument, ride the Durango Silverton Narrow gauge railroad and Natural bridges National Monument. Ask the local and do a Google search. You will find something to do. Durango is not far and has some interesting things to do.
Thank you for all your suggestion.
We have them on our list.
Old 08-07-2020, 07:02 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by simiHal View Post
Hope you have a wonderful time that exceeds expectations. I always thought Cortez was a bit warmer. Mid 80ís to low 90ís have got to be better for you.
A lot better than at home where we are lucky if the low gets below 80 at midnight.

Check the weather forecast for the next 10 days.
Be prepared to be shocked.

https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l/USAZ0229:1:US
Old 08-07-2020, 07:19 PM   #9

Iggy, the wife and I went through Colorado from Cheyenne Wy down to highway 70 to return home after being on the road for 31 days. If we hadn't been so tired after our trip I would have continued on to Southern Colorado to the area you are going to. Excellent choice of area. So much to see and places to go. All of the suggestions that have been given to you are great spots.
Enjoy yourselves and bring some of the cool back with you.
Wattsworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 07:41 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wattsworld View Post
Iggy, the wife and I went through Colorado from Cheyenne Wy down to highway 70 to return home after being on the road for 31 days. If we hadn't been so tired after our trip I would have continued on to Southern Colorado to the area you are going to. Excellent choice of area. So much to see and places to go. All of the suggestions that have been given to you are great spots.
Enjoy yourselves and bring some of the cool back with you.
Leaving in the morning. It does seem there is a lot in the area.
I'm sure over the month we will do some travelling with the car.
Can't wait to get out of this Arizona heat until it cools down.
Usually we go other places but many of our rv plans, rally have been cancelled.
So this is just a last minute fill in.

Maybe next year Ontario Canada and see my bud up there.
I plan on parking in his driveway for a few weeks.

Hopefully he won't see this message and it will be a surprise.
Old 08-07-2020, 11:28 PM   #11

If you want some ideas on places to visit and sights to see while in Cortez, see the US 160 and US 550 posts on my Colorado RV camping blog HERE.. You might also want to take a look at some of my other routes to help plan your 2021 vacation.

"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2016 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8244WS 5th Wheel; 2015 Ram 2500 4x4 CC-SB 6.7L CTD
Sold: 2012 Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S
fanrgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 11:50 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanrgs View Post
If you want some ideas on places to visit and sights to see while in Cortez, see the US 160 and US 550 posts on my Colorado RV camping blog HERE.. You might also want to take a look at some of my other routes to help plan your 2021 vacation.
Thanks for the information on the Blog
Old 08-07-2020, 11:50 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
Leaving in the morning. It does seem there is a lot in the area.
I'm sure over the month we will do some travelling with the car.
Can't wait to get out of this Arizona heat until it cools down.
Usually we go other places but many of our rv plans, rally have been cancelled.
So this is just a last minute fill in.

Maybe next year Ontario Canada and see my bud up there.
I plan on parking in his driveway for a few weeks.

Hopefully he won't see this message and it will be a surprise.
Safe travels up to Colorado!! Cortez will still be a bit warm; but it, too, is a dry heat Drop a pm if you come up to Ouray. During your stay, a drive up to Telluride, Ouray, and Silverton is definitely worth your time. And, it is truly less than 80 degrees at those locations (though, Ouray is close currently).
campingalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 06:51 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by campingalan View Post
Safe travels up to Colorado!! Cortez will still be a bit warm; but it, too, is a dry heat Drop a pm if you come up to Ouray. During your stay, a drive up to Telluride, Ouray, and Silverton is definitely worth your time. And, it is truly less than 80 degrees at those locations (though, Ouray is close currently).
Yes we do plan on doing that drive.

We are in Gallup NM for the night before heading north into Colorado tomorrow.
Something weird is happening here.
Water is coming out of the sky here in NM...
Wonder what it is because in Arizona we don't see that.
Old 08-08-2020, 07:16 PM   #15

Great place. The wife and i fish mcfee res. north of cortez. Trolling for salmon . Unique lake to see in a boat. lower end warm water ,upper end by dam is cold water. wet suits upper in summer , lower just a swim suit. Go see Deloris Co. Road to north of lake and campground is in middle of town. Get a map you can see a magnificent small lake up in high plateau area . Nice drive. I think it is mcdonald lake. Hwy 550 will take you up to oray co.
Thomas ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 01:06 PM   #16

We can't wait to get out of the heat and humidity in East Texas!

Never stayed at Sundance in Cortez. We will be staying a month at Elk Creek CG in Grand Lake starting second week in August. Give it a try sometime.
Old 08-09-2020, 05:18 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySteve View Post
We can't wait to get out of the heat and humidity in East Texas!

Never stayed at Sundance in Cortez. We will be staying a month at Elk Creek CG in Grand Lake starting second week in August. Give it a try sometime.
Thanks I will check that campground out.
We just arrived at the Sundance and I'm very impressed with the campground as a whole. Well taken care of all around. They even rake your sites before you arrive.

I will add a few pictures in coming days.
Old 08-09-2020, 05:25 PM   #18

I live in Colorado Springs AND Phoenix. Cortez is great central spot. Don’t forget to check out Northern New Mexico too. As mentioned Million Dollar Hway ride should not be missed. The Durango-Silverton Train is running limited tours. You are close to many Native American spots though some towns/areas are shutdown due to Covid19 virus. Pagosa Springs hot springs are a good day trip. Lots of cute shops. Telluride is close and a good day trip.
missjoanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 10:45 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
Yes we do plan on doing that drive.

We are in Gallup NM for the night before heading north into Colorado tomorrow.
Something weird is happening here.
Water is coming out of the sky here in NM...
Wonder what it is because in Arizona we don't see that.
Bleh...we really need the rain here in southwest CO too!! We are currently not even getting the 1-2pm mountain showers up here in the high country.
campingalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 08:12 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by campingalan View Post
Bleh...we really need the rain here in southwest CO too!! We are currently not even getting the 1-2pm mountain showers up here in the high country.
We are doing a drive up your way today.
Durango, Million dollar Highway and maybe up to you.