Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-14-2022, 01:26 PM   #1

Colorado in May

On our cross country trip starting just after Mother's Day we will be going through Colorado near the end of May or early June on our way to Yellowstone. I have been told that Colorado is a state worth spending a week exploring because of so much to see and do.
I have a state vacation guidebook with suggested places to explore and routes to take, but I know those suggestions do not take into account a 36 ft. motorhome with a car in tow.

I am looking for suggestions of towns, sites, (I know there are 5 national parks in CO), and anything else with safe routes to take without the fear of falling off the roadside (my DW!).

As always, I appreciate in advance any suggestions.
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 01:52 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman12 View Post
On our cross country trip starting just after Mother's Day we will be going through Colorado near the end of May or early June on our way to Yellowstone. I have been told that Colorado is a state worth spending a week exploring because of so much to see and do.
I have a state vacation guidebook with suggested places to explore and routes to take, but I know those suggestions do not take into account a 36 ft. motorhome with a car in tow.

I am looking for suggestions of towns, sites, (I know there are 5 national parks in CO), and anything else with safe routes to take without the fear of falling off the roadside (my DW!).

As always, I appreciate in advance any suggestions.
Can you provide a little more information on the route you are planning?

Since you brought up Colorado as a location on it, I assume you are taking I70 west, (however assume always gets me in trouble) and the fastest route to Yellowstone from NY is I80 west.)

If you want to enter Yellowstone from the west gate, then you can cross over the Rockies on I70, which would put you in the Silverhorn and Dillon area, Breckenridge is good as well, lots of sites and activities in these areas.
You then would take I15 north to get to Yellowstone.

One note, May is still a bit chilly (some of the ski resorts run until early June some years), you may want to consider I25 north, cut up through Jackson Hole (another nice stopping point) then on to Yellowstone via the east gate, return from the west gate via I15 and do Colorado on the backside of the trip, you will have a bit warmer weather that way. Options options
2023 Road Glide ST
camper_Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 11:26 AM   #3

Lucy, thanks for the reply and suggestions. As of today, our plan is we would be coming into Colorado on I70. My DW and I are liked stumped almost like being at an intersection and trying to decide to turn left (south) in our minds, or right on I25 (north). But, already you have given me an idea of taking 70 across the state and working our way to Jackson where we also have reservations, and on to Yellowstone.

But looking at your post again, maybe my original idea of taking 25 would be better weather-wise.
Old 01-16-2022, 12:15 PM   #4

I think the key here is that you already have reservations at Jackson WY and that should dictate your time frame for other stops, Colorado etc.. Camper Lucy is a little confused as to progressing on to Yellowstone from Jackson; you wouldn't enter the east gate rather enter Yellowstone at the south entrance. getting to Jackson from Denver I usually will I25 to I80 to Rawlins and then US287 to the Tetons. I80 on to Rock Springs and north on US191 to Jackson is another route. If you wanted to exit Yellowstone out the east gate with a stop in Cody, WY and then work your way back into Colorado via I25 making a stop in Estes Park (a nice place to visit) for a drive through Rocky Mountain NP and continuing on to wherever you can squeeze into your allotted time. Yes there are a lot of places in Colorado to visit but the driving time to explore them can take a lot of time. There are "4" National Parks in CO (Utah has 5) but they are all not bunched together. Just some thoughts.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 12:43 PM   #5

Colorado is wonderful! In the mountains weather can turn snowey in most months. Just plan ahead. Melts quick in May.

Last summer we drove I70 to Salt Lake.

I 70 from Denver to Utah was beautiful. The i80 route is quicker. Much more boring.

We decided to try boondocking, seriously. Skipped thru Colorado.

North of Moab we stayed on BLM land. Very nice. Free. We visited Arches and Canyon land. There are several other wonderful parks near there!

With the America the beautiful card the parks were free. Cost me more for the week to feed the DW’s Mexican food habit than for camping and entertainment!

Going this way and up I15 it is mostly divided highway. Easy for you.

I lived near Pocatello Idaho in the 70’s. Went to Yellowstone several times. It is a mystical place. But, crowded. Big time. Grand Teton is wonderful.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 10:50 AM   #6

Great suggestions guys, thanks!

I should have been more detailed in my original post. Yeah, I70 into Colorado, as posted stumped, then as I mentioned we head to Jackson, WY and then off to Yellowstone.
After YS we plan to head out the north entrance, US 89 up to I90, lunch in Bozeman, MT, and on to our next stop, Lewis and Clark Caverns SP and campground. From there we head down I15 to Massacre Rocks SP in Idaho. From there we hit I86/84 to stay at a Harvest Host near Boise, ID. After that, we'll take US 95 back down to 80 and follow to Lake Tahoe. Our next reservation with blank days in between is in Napa.

The trip is not totally scheduled out or plans complete, but we wanted to try and leave days open to be spontaneous to our surroundings
Old 01-17-2022, 10:59 AM   #7

This thread is like a Paul Harvey segment.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 11:08 AM   #8

Good Daayyy!
Old 01-17-2022, 11:23 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
I think the key here is that you already have reservations at Jackson WY and that should dictate your time frame for other stops, Colorado etc.. Camper Lucy is a little confused as to progressing on to Yellowstone from Jackson; you wouldn't enter the east gate rather enter Yellowstone at the south entrance. getting to Jackson from Denver I usually will I25 to I80 to Rawlins and then US287 to the Tetons. I80 on to Rock Springs and north on US191 to Jackson is another route. If you wanted to exit Yellowstone out the east gate with a stop in Cody, WY and then work your way back into Colorado via I25 making a stop in Estes Park (a nice place to visit) for a drive through Rocky Mountain NP and continuing on to wherever you can squeeze into your allotted time. Yes there are a lot of places in Colorado to visit but the driving time to explore them can take a lot of time. There are "4" National Parks in CO (Utah has 5) but they are all not bunched together. Just some thoughts.
bubbles, you are correct it would be the south gate, thanks for the catch.
2023 Road Glide ST
camper_Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote