Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2020, 04:44 PM   #1

Colorado in September

Greetings FR Forum'ers! Well after 32 years in the cemetery business, or, horizontal real estate, I'm retiring at the end of July 2020. DW and I are planning a trip to Yellowstone NP, Napa, Yosemite NP and whatever else we find in mid-September this year, Coronavirus and all that goes with it willing.

We plan to spend at least a week, maybe more in Colorado on the return leg from, California because of its diverse natural beauty and vast cultural differences from the old west to cosmopolitan. And several recommendations.

We are looking for suggestions for "must-see or do" places. We love to hike, moderate 5-6 miles routes, road bicycles, kayak, brewpubs and saloons, and cool towns and at times touristy type places. Take into account we are traveling in a 37' DP towing on a dolly, overall length about 57'. So, we are also looking for route suggestions coming from Yosemite NP, grades or passes to avoid but great scenic drives most would love.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated in advance.
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 04:56 PM   #2

Co Springs. Thanksgiving. LOL.

CO Springs. May 20. LOL.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	COSprings11_26_19.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	257.7 KB
ID:	226789   Click image for larger version

Name:	snow2.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	269.0 KB
ID:	226790  

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 05:00 PM   #3

Color change usually occurs around early October so plan accordingly if possible. We will be at Ridgway state park in SW Colorado around that time.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 08:44 AM   #4

Colorado Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman12 View Post
Greetings FR Forum'ers! Well after 32 years in the cemetery business, or, horizontal real estate, I'm retiring at the end of July 2020. DW and I are planning a trip to Yellowstone NP, Napa, Yosemite NP and whatever else we find in mid-September this year, Coronavirus and all that goes with it willing.

We plan to spend at least a week, maybe more in Colorado on the return leg from, California because of its diverse natural beauty and vast cultural differences from the old west to cosmopolitan. And several recommendations.

We are looking for suggestions for "must-see or do" places. We love to hike, moderate 5-6 miles routes, road bicycles, kayak, brewpubs and saloons, and cool towns and at times touristy type places. Take into account we are traveling in a 37' DP towing on a dolly, overall length about 57'. So, we are also looking for route suggestions coming from Yosemite NP, grades or passes to avoid but great scenic drives most would love.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated in advance.
Colorado has many wonderful old mining towns that have become tourist destinations. I would start your search there. Places like Steamboat Springs, Pagosa Springs, Telluride, and Crested Butte offer all of the amenities, yet remain small enough to avoid the "big city" congestion. There are a number of national and state parks in the Colorado. Ridgeway and Colorado Monument are great. Rocky Mountain National Park should be avoided at all costs unless you enjoy crowds, taffy-chocolate shops and T-shirt stores. Be aware that winter can spontaneously appear at the higher elevations, although you are usually safe through September. The fall colors are often spectacular, but note that the changing colors are related to the elevation of the location. The higher the elevation, the earlier the leaves change color. In Crested Butte ( 9500ft) the leaves start changing by mid September with peak color usually in the second half of the month. Lower elevations see colors change in October. Similarly, weather and temperatures in Colorado are highly dependent on elevation, a difference of 1,000ft can translate into a 10 degree temperature difference.

Lastly, check your route for the elevations of the high mountain passes you will need to negotiate. Some are well paved and negotiable with average grades of 6-7% ( Monarch Pass) , others should be strictly avoided due to tight turns and grades ( Red Mountain Pass). Do your homework ahead of time and make certain your brakes are in good condition!

Happy Trails!
Dreedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 09:18 AM   #5

we'll be going through colorado in sept also. we have reservations in colorado springs and the durango area. durango has all of the activities you listed but i'm sure there are many other places that do also. whatever you decide take your time, be safe, and have fun.
Old 04-13-2020, 09:53 AM   #6

Exclamation

Durango is another good option. Just avoid getting there by way of Red Mountain Pass if you driving anything over 30', unless you enjoy "death grip" driving!
Attached Images

Dreedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 09:56 AM   #7

Excellent suggestions guys. Thank you. Taking it all in, aka notes, and will build our itinerary off of them. As of now, it looks like we'll be coming into Colorado from California on I70, then forking off onto 550 to perhaps 50 toward Pueblo to try and catch a concert, Lake Street Dive, at Red Rocks Amphitheater 9/27, hoping it is still scheduled by then.
Old 04-13-2020, 10:14 AM   #8

In a former life i lived about 150 miles south of the park. Soda Srpings, Idaho.

On Memorial day in June my local buddies and i were going chicken hunting in the am. Followed by a major party in the afternoon. Goat roast, the guys were from Texas. For some reason roasting a goat was the thing. 1979

At any rate, to my surprise, when I opened the door there was 3" of fresh snow on my steps.

Being from Missouri, i stupidly asked, is there any month it does not snow here?

After thinking a moment the answer was NO!

Point being, out there plan ahead and listen to weather forecasts and plan ahead. Driving in snow is, relatively awful.

Yellowstone in September would be wonderful. My daughter, more the hiker, liked the Grand Tetons better. In the neighborhood.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 10:20 AM   #9

Dreedo, Holy sh.t! I wouldn't want to do that with 8 feet.
Old 04-13-2020, 10:39 AM   #10

Since you're taking I70, definitely stop in Glenwood Springs and take in one of the many hot springs. Take a relaxing break and soak those sore, aching muscles. We worth it.

Safe and happy travels.
Days camped 2021: 19
Days camped 2020: 18
Days camped 2019: 17
Chief T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 10:44 AM   #11

I lived there in the 1980s. So many good places to go. Find some Nat Forest and camp there. Hang out in the small rustic towns. I like the old mining towns. Stay away from RMNP.
ppine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 12:02 PM   #12

Both suggestions added to my "notes". DW really liked the idea of the hot springs! Thank you.
Old 04-14-2020, 09:03 PM   #13

Since you’re coming in on I-70, definitely plan to stop in the Glenwood Springs area. We highly recommend the KOA in Silt which is a short drive from GWS. The Glenwood Vaudeville Revue is great fun and shouldn’t be missed!

The Colorado Winefest in Palisade is sept 17-20. We go every year & sure hope it will be held this year.

2018 Leprechaun 311FS
Doxies in the Rockies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 09:22 PM   #14

Also looking to head to Colorado this year. Any guidance on campgrounds to avoid in the Colorado Springs area?
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 03:39 PM   #15

We've only stayed at one place in the Colorado Springs area - Cheyenne Mountain State Park. It's a very nice campground & I would recommend it. To have the best views, try to get sites 7, 9, or 10. The campground is located just below the entrance to NORAD and above Ft. Carson Army Base. Nighttime views are beautiful!

2018 Leprechaun 311FS
Doxies in the Rockies is offline   Reply With Quote