Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2017, 05:30 PM   #41
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 321
About WalMart what I have seen in our city are people taking advantage. WalMart had a policy that they didn't mind if you stayed overnight if you were just passing through and needed a place to sleep. It was good for you and them as these people tended to go in and buy a few items. The problem is with the change in the economy over the last 10 years people started taking advantage. You started seeing RV's in various states of disrepair spending weeks on end in the parking lot. I saw RV's with boarded up broken windows and tarps over the roofs because they leak. There got to be so many that WalMart had to shut it down. Bad news for over nighters.

Also when traveling across country there are a few highways that aren't all that great. Highways such as I-25 that goes from the Mexico boarder all the way up north and I-70 that basically runs from L.A. (thru I-15) all the way across country are drug trafficking corridors and you get the riff raff that goes along with it. Just last month a couple was busted in Grand Junction CO, transporting 25 lbs of meth from LA. Second problem was they had their 13 year old son driving. But, yeah, these are the kind of people you are going to see at the WalMarts and other stopping places along these highways.
joeuncool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 05:45 PM   #42
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 197
[QUOTE][There are Still Lots of Kids doing "Community Service" who should be "Doing Time"! /QUOTE]

The kids in Americor go to college - not jail.
wannabeowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 06:58 PM   #43
Senior Member
 
1A Camper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 412
I agree with the OP and I live in CO. I grew up in the 50's and 60's so a lot has changed. The biggest thing is the number of roads, trails, and paths that have been closed and now they complain about how all the the other are being over used and need to be close too.
We have been to about 38 NP in the last 4 years and for the most part they are doing a good job. I also agree they could stand to trim some tree at viewing areas. They have some big problems with the numbers of people and I do not have any suggestion as how to handle the numbers, I do not like the buses either, when we were in Yosemite, we had 3 bus pass us by as they were full, the 4 only had standing room. They were running every 4 to 5 minutes, so not a long wait but how many buses do they need. THE NUMBER OF PEOPLE JUST KEEP GROWING.
I was reading that there have been 16% more RV sold this year then last. So I do not see thing getting better any time soon.
I think the days of saying lets go to the park today and expecting to get a camping spot are gone, now you plan 6 month in advance.
__________________
Steve and Adele
2017 RB-195
2005 Toyota 4runner 4x4
1A Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 01:58 AM   #44
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Florida
Posts: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1A Camper View Post
I agree with the OP and I live in CO. I grew up in the 50's and 60's so a lot has changed. The biggest thing is the number of roads, trails, and paths that have been closed and now they complain about how all the the other are being over used and need to be close too.
We have been to about 38 NP in the last 4 years and for the most part they are doing a good job. I also agree they could stand to trim some tree at viewing areas. They have some big problems with the numbers of people and I do not have any suggestion as how to handle the numbers, I do not like the buses either, when we were in Yosemite, we had 3 bus pass us by as they were full, the 4 only had standing room. They were running every 4 to 5 minutes, so not a long wait but how many buses do they need. THE NUMBER OF PEOPLE JUST KEEP GROWING.
I was reading that there have been 16% more RV sold this year then last. So I do not see thing getting better any time soon.
I think the days of saying lets go to the park today and expecting to get a camping spot are gone, now you plan 6 month in advance.
We also recently arrived home from a 7000 mile western and mid western trip. We've been spending our nights when en route at Walmarts. We always call in advance using a list of stores that allow over-nighting. If it wasn't for these Walmarts (and other stores) we would not be able to take the trips we do. We are extremely thankful for them. But...I agree that over the past 10 years or so the atmosphere at the Walmarts has changed. There IS a problem with homeless folks in broken cars and we've been asked several times for money by wondering folks. We always, however get a good nights rest. Only one night were we a bit fearful for our safety. We were parked a long way from the store in a back lot. It was very quiet but no other RVs or trucks were there and there were a lot of roaming night people. I had my firearm close by just in case. My wife and I both have Concealed Weapon Permits and normally keep them locked up in the bedroom storage. I'm not sure we will be continuing to stay at the Walmarts in the future. It's a shame. We'll really have to look at our options.
__________________
OldBob

I may be old but I'm trying, very trying.
2015 RAM 1500 - EcoDiesel
Rockwood Ultra V 2715VS
OldBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 10:11 AM   #45
Sunseeker 2400MBW
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Everywhere, USA
Posts: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeuncool View Post
About WalMart what I have seen in our city are people taking advantage. WalMart had a policy that they didn't mind if you stayed overnight if you were just passing through and needed a place to sleep. It was good for you and them as these people tended to go in and buy a few items. The problem is with the change in the economy over the last 10 years people started taking advantage. You started seeing RV's in various states of disrepair spending weeks on end in the parking lot. I saw RV's with boarded up broken windows and tarps over the roofs because they leak. There got to be so many that WalMart had to shut it down. Bad news for over nighters.



Also when traveling across country there are a few highways that aren't all that great. Highways such as I-25 that goes from the Mexico boarder all the way up north and I-70 that basically runs from L.A. (thru I-15) all the way across country are drug trafficking corridors and you get the riff raff that goes along with it. Just last month a couple was busted in Grand Junction CO, transporting 25 lbs of meth from LA. Second problem was they had their 13 year old son driving. But, yeah, these are the kind of people you are going to see at the WalMarts and other stopping places along these highways.



These states advertise until they are over run, a victim of success. Like the Moab area.

Now, I’m really off track.
People with old RVs that I can’t imagine even run are parked all around certain areas of Seattle. They’re boarded up, tarped up. On the weekend they sneak water from local businesses until they lock up their faucets. And occasionally they dump black water around. The VA hospital has at least a dozen derelict RVs parked right next to it (on city property, not federal).
Seattle is trying very hard to be gentle with the homeless. But when this happens, homeless in other cities are given bus tickets or even plane tickets to come stay in that area and the situation multiplies.
Some of the attraction here is legal pot, but I’m not sure how how much. It appears there are more pot shops than coffee shops.
__________________
Full time 2016 Sunseeker 2400WS towing a 2018 Subaru Forester.
Nancyc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 10:20 AM   #46
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: California
Posts: 7,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancyc7 View Post
Some of the attraction here is legal pot, but I’m not sure how how much. It appears there are more pot shops than coffee shops.
I don't think so. This problem is in all major cities across the nation.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 01:07 PM   #47
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Colorado
Posts: 445
The best thing about being retired is being able to avoid summer camping completely. By being free to choose spring and fall camping in national parks and winter camping south of I-10, we avoid those huge crowds. And, since we have been to Yellowstone, Glacier, Yosemite, Denali, Arches, and Zion in the past, we can concentrate on less-crowded parks like Grand Teton, Capital Reef, Olympic, Great Basin, Wrangell-St. Elias, and Big Bend (in mid-winter!).
__________________

"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2016 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8244WS 5th Wheel; 2015 Ram 2500 4x4 CC-SB 6.7L CTD
Sold: 2012 Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S
fanrgs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 01:20 PM   #48
Senior Member
 
bubbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 5,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by fanrgs View Post
The best thing about being retired is being able to avoid summer camping completely. By being free to choose spring and fall camping in national parks and winter camping south of I-10, we avoid those huge crowds. And, since we have been to Yellowstone, Glacier, Yosemite, Denali, Arches, and Zion in the past, we can concentrate on less-crowded parks like Grand Teton, Capital Reef, Olympic, Great Basin, Wrangell-St. Elias, and Big Bend (in mid-winter!).
Better enjoy now cause I hear the estimated boomer retirees per year is 4 million. That might explain a lot of the RV sales increase. "No where to run to, no where to hide. Here they come.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 01:25 PM   #49
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: California
Posts: 7,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by fanrgs View Post
The best thing about being retired is being able to avoid summer camping completely.
I am retiring in Jan at age 59. I am going to be doing the same thing you are doing. We bought our trailer since we are now both going to be retired.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 05:37 PM   #50
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Colorado
Posts: 445
I am just a little older than the oldest boomer. So, when all of you retire, I'll be ready to sell my truck and trailer to one of you!
__________________

"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2016 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8244WS 5th Wheel; 2015 Ram 2500 4x4 CC-SB 6.7L CTD
Sold: 2012 Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S
fanrgs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 05:47 PM   #51
Senior Member
 
BandJCarm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Between Pickles Gap and Toad Suck, AR
Posts: 6,061
10,000 people retire every single day of the week.

Scary.
__________________
"Next to prayer, fishing is the most personal relationship of man" Herbert Hoover
"American by Birth, Southern by the Grace of God"Lewis Grizzard

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 11:17 AM   #52
Sunseeker 2400MBW
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Everywhere, USA
Posts: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
10,000 people retire every single day of the week.

Scary.
why can’t I get some free advice?????!!!

We’re working so hard trying to figure out which Medicare advantage plan or it supplement?? And other retirement related stuff. It’s hard work to retire.

I was in Yellowstone in October a few years ago and there had to be less crowds. There are some unbelievably large parking lots and viewing areas that were entirely empty. But there were also some closed roads. However, I do think the trade off was worth it.
Nancyc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 05:10 PM   #53
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Florida
Posts: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancyc7 View Post
why can’t I get some free advice?????!!!

We’re working so hard trying to figure out which Medicare advantage plan or it supplement?? And other retirement related stuff. It’s hard work to retire.

I was in Yellowstone in October a few years ago and there had to be less crowds. There are some unbelievably large parking lots and viewing areas that were entirely empty. But there were also some closed roads. However, I do think the trade off was worth it.
We have AARP's United Healthcare Medicare Complete Plus. This is a non regional medicare replacement plan which allows us to travel and still have coverage. We've had it for several years and we really love it. Co-pays to see our doctor are either zero or $5. To see a specialist it's a couple dollars more. We highly recommend it.
__________________
OldBob

I may be old but I'm trying, very trying.
2015 RAM 1500 - EcoDiesel
Rockwood Ultra V 2715VS
OldBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 02:17 PM   #54
Sunseeker 2400MBW
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Everywhere, USA
Posts: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBob View Post
We have AARP's United Healthcare Medicare Complete Plus. This is a non regional medicare replacement plan which allows us to travel and still have coverage. We've had it for several years and we really love it. Co-pays to see our doctor are either zero or $5. To see a specialist it's a couple dollars more. We highly recommend it.
hey, thanks so much! We will look at this. And thanks for the entire name of the plan.

People say "oh we're with Aetna". Ok, Aetna which? there are hundreds of varieties for every company you can think of. I find it quite confusing.
Nancyc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:31 PM.