Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2022, 11:36 PM   #1

Considering Fort Peck, CMR Wildlife Refuge area last part of June.

Already have May scheduled, into the middle of June to Custer. Now wanting to find something interesting as I start my trek back to So. Nevada - not in a straight line! For those familiar with that part of Montana, do you have any do's and/or do not's? I prefer FHU, may stay a week or two along that part of the route. I don't fish, I do like museums and the CMR Wildlife Refuge. I have read lots on line and realize how huge an area this is, that's why I'm asking for some ideas to narrow down the choices. Rig is bumper pull toy hauler, 1 ton RAM diesel, 60' overall.

Thanks!
OldGal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 03:39 PM   #2

I have paddled the upper Missouri R in Montana. It can get really hot out there. I would head for some higher elevations and head south.
ppine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 04:27 PM   #3

Thanks, ppine, I'll probably end up in NW Montana - spent 6 weeks there last summer and have been a few other places there, Idaho and lived in NE Washington for 15 years. Hitting a couple Wyoming spots on my trip to Custer but might visit a couple more after SD...hoping to hear about the Fort Peck general area so I can see where I'll be exiting, then make more plans in that direction. Not used to having to make reservations but these last 2 years have changed the game.
Old 02-25-2022, 05:05 PM   #4

A couple years ago, we took a 30 day trip from Dallas, up to Glacier and Yellowstone. On the way up we stopped at Devils Monument for a couple days and then headed north to Canada to see the Grasslands National park. On the way, we drove from Devils up past Fort Peck and stopped in Malta. I can tell you that the route we took was the most deserted road we'd ever been on. Hwy 253 to Hwy 200 to Hwy 24 to Fort Peck. Hwy 24 was so empty, we stopped in the middle of the road with our 5'ver to take pictures. No cars for hours. If you like wide open spaces with no other traffic, this route is for you. However, the road was fairly bumpy the entire way and there were zero services available (glad we had the auxiliary fuel tank). Besides prairie, there's really not much to see down that stretch of highway.

Gsykora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 08:56 PM   #5

Me personally… Unless you are just trying to kill time, drive aimlessly around, and go somewhere that you’ve never been (And probably never will have the chance to just to see it and say you’ve been there), I wouldn’t go to the Fort Peck Reservoir area if you aren’t into fishing, and you want FHU. Especially in late June.

Eastern Montana has very little shade, lots of beating down sun, and can get hot during that time. Not too mention the occasional thunderstorms that like to bring golfball to softball sized hail with it. Or 70+ mph winds.

The Fort Peck area is beautiful and you will be able to see for miles upon miles. The night time is very nice, you can see the sky and stars quite well with little to none light pollution. I don’t think there are any FHU campgrounds around the actual lake (In the small towns like Wolf Point, Glasgow, Fort Peck there are) so you would be missing out on the serene night time atmosphere of it like you might get if you stayed at a COE campground. But… Fort Peck Lake (atleast the eastern half) is fishing and boating country. Pretty much the biggest draw for people to go there.

There is a couple nice museums along the way, and the Fort Peck Interpretive Center is pretty cool for dinosaur fans. As for fun-filled-do-stuff days… your options are pretty limited, especially if you’re not a boater/fisher.

Coming from Custer I could think of many other things to see/places to go other than Fort Peck on your off-the-main road trek back to Nevada. And it might be more in-line with what you like. Plus the travel distance from Custer to Fort Peck Lake area is far when compared to the distance to other places of interest.
Backcountryboondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 12:11 PM   #6

Thanks everyone, you've all given me more to consider. I think my next plan of attack will be to break down that part of the trip on tripwizard and see driving times. The Montana Dinosaur Trail is what got me interested in Fort Peck. I did see the COE park there and would be open to a couple days with electric only, so that's an option in order to visit the museum.

Backcounty - I do drive around aimlessly, go places that I've never been to before and, sometimes even kill time Heck, I've even found some good places when I'm lost! But you got my attention with the hail, heat and winds. Thanks for your post.
Old 02-26-2022, 08:21 PM   #7
DaveAlb

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGal3 View Post
Thanks everyone, you've all given me more to consider. I think my next plan of attack will be to break down that part of the trip on tripwizard and see driving times. The Montana Dinosaur Trail is what got me interested in Fort Peck. I did see the COE park there and would be open to a couple days with electric only, so that's an option in order to visit the museum.

Backcounty - I do drive around aimlessly, go places that I've never been to before and, sometimes even kill time Heck, I've even found some good places when I'm lost! But you got my attention with the hail, heat and winds. Thanks for your post.

Some interesting history at Ft Peck since it was built during the depression. First big dam on the Missouri River. Provided lots of jobs to keep people from starving. Visitor Center addresses lots of these things. 2 unique power plants at dam.
DaveAlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 11:03 AM   #8

The dinosaur museums there and all the way along US 2 (and into Canada) are interesting if you enjoy that. Near Glendive is Makoshika State Park which is fun to putter around. Sounds as though you are familiar with CMR Game Range.
If a person just motors through with their nose in the air they won’t think there is much along there, but take the time to explore it’s pretty neat country.
Old 02-27-2022, 12:07 PM   #9

If you are interested in dinosaurs check out the website at
www.mtdinotrail.org

Am not saying all the shown locations would be that good but check out the website. There are some surprises in some unexpected locations. The museum in the little town of Ekalaka, MT is a gem, the Museum of the Rockies in Bozeman is world class, and others maybe hiding in obscurity of small town Montana. Your trip to Custer and the Black Hills of South Dakota should keep you busy for longer than you may think. It's different strokes for different folks but there is a lot to see out there and that is what makes RV travel so appealing.
Old 02-27-2022, 06:06 PM   #10

We live inside the CMR on private land, on Fort Peck lake about 50 miles south of Glasgow, MT. . There is lots to see and do. The RV park below the dam is a good one. The Interpretive Center is a good place to see about the history of the dam construction and dinosaurs, and the tour of the dam is very interesting. Just a few miles east is Fort Union, a replica of a fur trading post and east of that is Fort Buford another fort. The pioneer museum in Glasgow has some old pioneer items, and farther west is Malta, MT , which has a very good dinosaur museum. There are two drawbridges close to the confluence of the YellowStone and Missouri rivers, that had to be built because of riverboat navigation. They were only opened once to test them. We think you would enjoy eastern MT.
beechjet16mf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 06:37 PM   #11

Thanks everyone, this is becoming a treasure chest of information! I've started my tripwizard map for this part of 2022 and already have 4 potential stops and a couple more to check out, then have to see if it's reasonable to go from one to the other....that's the fun part.
Would never had considered Ekalaka, MT since it's kinda by itself, but that caught my attention, not only for the museum but the cafe. Might stay in Glasgow for a bit and make day trips to other places but that's just in the hummmm stage right now. I'll look into Fort Union, too. Again, thanks, it's starting to come together!

If you were going to one section of the CMR Wildlife Refuge, what part would that be?
Old 02-27-2022, 08:02 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGal3 View Post

If you were going to one section of the CMR Wildlife Refuge, what part would that be?
Slippery Ann Elk Viewing Area. But you might be going at the wrong time of the year to really enjoy it.

To get the most out of your visit I’d go to the town of Fort Peck/Glasgow then if I was going to just one particular area.
Backcountryboondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 09:06 PM   #13

If you do go to Ft Peck check out the Fort Peck Theatre for the live plays throughout the summer www.fortpecktheatre.org
The plays are staged in the wonderful old theatre built in the 1930's during the construction of the Fort Peck Dam. Am not liking the congestion in the campgrounds due to the surge of folks buying more and more RV's but can't be selfish either as RVing has been wonderful. At Fort Peck there is a big fishing tournament July 7-9 so RV spots are filled before, during, and after that event.
Devils Tower National Monument may be another point of interest as you leave the Black Hills.
Old 02-28-2022, 09:24 PM   #14

Great comments here on eastern Montana.
It reminds me of the great people I met in that part of the country in little towns out along the Missouri. Very sturdy and interesting people.
ppine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 02:24 PM   #15

This will be my 2nd trip to Custer, last time 12 days...this time 10. Do love that part of the country! In 2017 made my way to Garryowen (Custer Battle Field), Sundance (Devils Tower), Custer, Cody (Buffalo Bill Museums), Pinedale (Museum of the Mountain Man), then headed west to Hwy. 395 in Burns, OR and south. Like to take different roads when possible, but also have places I want to revisit. Back to planning my route!