Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-12-2019, 10:38 PM   #1

Davis Mountain State Park trip in April

I have "searched" the forums for more info on this state park but came up somewhat short.
My wife and I are thinking of a trip there from south Alabama at the end of April.
I guess my big concern is the temperatures at that time of year. Is it bearable, or the wrong time to go there?
Also we are considering day trips to Big Bend. Is that too far?
Would appreciate any and all feedback! Thanks
winnbrave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 11:49 PM   #2
Site Team

Can you get any info here?
Davis Mountains State Park - Fort Davis, TX - RV Park Reviews

... or here?
https://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/d...edium=referral

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 11:12 AM   #3

Wife and I made this trip last September.

North West of Junction:
Fort McKavett State Historical Park
Fort McKavett State Historic Site | Fort McKavett, Texas | Texas Historical Commission

Things to see at Davis Mountains are the Old Fort Davis (4-5 hour self guided walking tour)
And the McDonald (10 Miles from Park) Not Open on Monday’s
https://mcdonaldobservatory.org/visitors

Black Bear Restaurant, at Davis Mountians offers breakfast and lunch Wed-Sun
https://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/i...cilities/lodge

In Big Bend
West Side: Santa Elena Canyon
https://visitbigbend.com/santa-elena

Middle of Park: Chisos Mountains Lodge (NO RV’s Over 23 feet)
Tight switch backs
https://www.nps.gov/bibe/planyourvis...ginthepark.htm

East Side: Boquillas Canyon Crossing into Mexico
Visitors must have a valid US passport
https://www.nps.gov/bibe/planyourvis...-boquillas.htm

On way to Seminole Canyon
Roy Bean Museum in Langtry, TX
Judge Roy Bean Visitor Center | Pecos Trail Region
Attached Files
File Type: pdf West Texas Directions-Palmetto.pdf (125.2 KB, 32 views)
TCedmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 11:50 PM   #4

@TCedmon, great tips!

Be sure to get a Texas State Parks pass... their parks are among the best, and there are around 100 of them, so you will have nice options across this huge state. With the pass ($75) you do not pay the per head entrance fee (at least $5), and you get 50% off your second night at 4 stays (sites with water + h2o $22-30/ night). We love Davis Mountain SP... sites are Texas large with mountains all around. Going there tomorrow night! Pretty cool this time of year, but better than Chicago! Always a chance it could be pretty warm in April. There is an amazing artist colony in Marfa, about 30 miles South of Davis Mountain. Also some 5 star restaurants. Big Bend, is within range, but once you are there you need to cover some serious miles to really see it, let alone take a hike or two. The NP campground at Rio Grand Junction has no services, but is well run and scenic. There is also a full service parking lot there. Make your reservations now. Big Bend will be pretty warm in April, and Spring break will mean it will be busy.

Enjoy!
Old 01-16-2019, 03:07 PM   #5

We were there last fall. I wouldn't go to West Texas in the Summer, but spring and fall are beautiful. Definately do the MacDonand Observatory (reservations required). We enjoyed the fort, too.

We didn't stay in the State Park because we thought we'd get better cell coverage in the (one) private park in town. Verizon was usable, but not great there. We've since stayed in Alpine a couple of times and prefer it. (The Lost Alaskan park is very nice.)

Big Bend is not a day trip from anywhere. Stock up, go there and stay a few days.
Highway 90 is also recommended over I-10, at least one way. Good road, no traffic and increadable scenery. I-10 sucks. There are a number of RV parks in several towns along the way.
Springer Spaniel Furkids - (the late) Molly & Mea the Monster Puppy
Blogs BataanMissing.com & Airsafety.info
JohnNJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 03:16 PM   #6
Itching to go . . .

We were in Big Bend in November and it is worth the visit.
I would say that it is too far far a day trip. Make it a separate destination. It took us the better part of two days to drive thru it with stops and short hikes/walks. We stayed at Rio Grande Village RV Campground - the only place with hookups inside the park. Nothing to brag about - but we had hookups!
Hope you get to see both places!
Old 01-16-2019, 05:28 PM   #7

Big Bend

Stayed at Lost Alaskan in Alpine during our last visit to Big Bend Area. Very pleased with facility. Fort Davis, the observatory, Big Bend and Marfa are all within about a one hour drive. Spring will be a wonderful time to visit. Enjoy!
TxPet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 08:31 PM   #8

If your goal is Big Bend, then yes Ft Davis is a bit too far away to be comfortable. We regularly stay in Terlingua. We either use Big Bend Resort & Adventures RV park or Maverick Ranch RV park. The first one is just more of a basic rv park, but it is only 2 miles from the gate to the NP. Maverick Ranch is a bit further down the road but very nice. It is a full blown resort with full service bar, restaurant, and golf course.

You can easily spend several days down there and not see it all. Be sure to drive 170 from Terlingua out towards Presidio. This is called the Pacific Coast Highway of Texas. Very nice drive. Visit La Kiva, its a little dive bar/grill that is semi famous in TX. While in the NP, lots to drive and hike. Check out Santa Elena Canyon. If you feel like going over into Mexico, bring your passport. Once over in the little village there are a couple good restaurants. We love Big Bend, if you have any questions shoot me a message!

Demco 18k Autoslide
2012 Puma Unleashed 356QLB toy hauler
Toys - CRF250X, CRF250R, CRF450R, TTR230, TRX250EX, STX-1500 jet ski
rmoore0852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 09:39 PM   #9

Davis Mountain State Park trip in April

We enjoyed Maverick Ranch in Laijitas. we traveled about 30 minutes each day to big bend.

Put Balmorhea state park on your list. It is on your way to fort Davis.
2011 Starcraft 392BHUw/Andersen No-Sway

chaps2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 10:45 PM   #10

Balmorhea State Park was closed for repairs in September; we did stop so my wife could see the pool, my son and his Boy Scout troop spend some time there on our way home from Buffalo Trail Scout Ranch.

Park ranger said they are hoping to be finished by the spring of 2019

And the Hot Springs on the east side of Big Bend is scheduled for a major remodel, so it may be closed.
The new Fossil Discovery Exhibit is pretty cool
Located 8 miles north of Panther Junction on the Persimmon Gap Entrance Road (Highway 385)
TCedmon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mount