Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2016, 09:40 PM   #1

Denver in June... Cherry Creek state park?

I need to go to Denver for a conference in June. The hotel is OUTRAGEOUS and a couple of other attendees are willing to split the fuel and campsite costs.

Cherry Creek state park looks nice and is close. Basic sites are $20. There is a transit station to catch a train downtown just a mile or so away. There are still a few sites available for my dates as well. I think the sites available were in the cottonwood grove loop. Does anyone have any experience with the park/campground?

Is there another campground that would be better?

I don't need hookups... have a solar system, and just need a place to fill water tank on the way in and dump on the way out. The trailer is a roo 19 hybrid so I don't need a big site either.

Thanks!
dragon-roo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 09:55 PM   #2

The cc campground is nice with newer clean facilities (bathrooms, showers, etc). It is centrally located by the light rail train that will take you downtown. The lake will be right nearby if you want to lay on the beach or fish. We have camped there many times and we only live two miles away. Made a great place for first time shakedown trips and quick get aways. My only gripe was the noise. You probably won't have an issue. Our first camper was a popup and you could hear every helicopter flying over (centennial airport is on the south shore of the lake) and every Harley Davidson roaring down Parker road to the north. After that we got a hard side travel trailer and I don't remember hearing any noise the last time I was there. Would recommend it. let me know if you have specific questions.
Old 04-14-2016, 11:25 PM   #3

I'd camp out at a Wal-mart parking lot for nothing if I were you.
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 09:36 AM   #4

Thanks for the detailed report Scooter!

With the canvas bunkends on the hybrid, it may well be a bit noisy. If I really wanted to be out IN nature I would head for the mountains, but mostly looking for a way to avoid the hotel and being close to the train will save a pile on 4 days of parking fees downtown I imagine.

The others that are planning to chip in for the fuel for towing would never go for the parking lot thing, and it would be nice to have a fire to relax by in the evening and a grill to cook on.

There are two sites left that look like they have a lot of trees when looking at google maps. Maybe I will pick one of those to help knock down the sound a bit.

Thanks again everyone!
Old 04-15-2016, 09:44 AM   #5

We were there in late Aug in 2013 for 1 (or was it 2??) nights and it was pretty empty at the time. It appeared to be a good campground but we didn't use any of the facilities since we were visiting with my cousins that I hadn't seen in many years so we weren't there much. But it was nicely located for shopping, etc.
Old 04-15-2016, 10:09 AM   #6

They have tons of shade trees, huge cottonwoods that provide loads of shade. One thing I will put out there, you will need a pass to even get to the cg. We just were there with a boat and a day pass was $9 per vehicle.
Old 04-15-2016, 10:39 AM   #7

Cottonwood trees on the Cottonwood Grove Loop... who wuda' thunk

I did see the vehicle pass cost. It's a bit higher than our state parks but still far cheaper than a hotel. The other's that are splitting the cost will help pay it and they are flying in, so won't have cars to pay for.

It will cost the same for 4 nights at cherry creek AND the extra fuel to tow from the midwest, as ONE night at the darn conference hotel. I don't know how people can afford to stay there... must be a lot of businesses cover the cost for the people that they send. Plus I can buy groceries and cook my own food instead of having to pay to eat out. Oh... and the minibar in the camper is not only cheaper but BIGGER
Old 04-15-2016, 12:18 PM   #8
Dahagen

The $9 entrance fee also applies to the campground. So add $9 per day to whatever the campground rate is. Most expensive state park I have ever stayed in with hookups. And the ONLY private campground nearby (which I give 1 star to) is the same price. When asked why they told me "Where else are you going to stay?"
dahagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 12:46 PM   #9

Cherry Creek

Stayed there last fall. Even with the park entrance fee it was a good deal. Sites had full hookups and concrete trailer pads. Close to downtown and metro station.
Magdeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 02:43 PM   #10

We have stayed at the Cherry Creek Camp Ground for several nights, and it is a good place to stay. Very clean showers and facilities. Highly recommend it.
beechjet16mf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 03:33 PM   #11

I would look up the weather history for June in Denver and then
get a full hookup site so that I could have AC. Good Luck
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 05:03 PM   #12

Thumbs up

I stayed there a few years ago, in the fall. Full hook ups. I found it Beautiful, quiet and plenty of wildlife.

Could be lucky time of year.

midniter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 05:17 PM   #13

Stayed there in August of 2015 for a few nights.
Very nice sites with shade trees.
But.....X2 on the hookups for A/C.

2008 Rockwood Sig Ultra Lite 8315SS
Livin the Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 05:19 PM   #14

There weren't even any electric sites available for the dates I needed, only 'Basic'. Not too worried as I did look up the weather and it is not historically too bad. I chose a site with considerable shade. With the shade and bunkends opened up the hybrid, so far, stays much more comfortable than a regular TT as long as there is a bit of a breeze.

I will be stuck in conferences during the heat of the day anyway.
Old 04-16-2016, 09:52 AM   #15

I live five miles from the park/campground. We often use it as our first trip shake out to make sure we have everything we need. The way it is nestled behind the damn makes it surprisingly quiet. The spaces are nice size and if you go during the week it will not be crowded at all and you will more than likely be able to get in under some shade. They do a great job at keeping all of the facilities clean, the CC beach is a few minute walk, it does get busy on hot weekends but is fun and empty the rest of the week. Water is cold in June but if your tough you can swim in it. You can rent jet ski's at the park. The light rail is a five minute drive or a 15-20 minute walk. Some great Mexican food within 5 minute drive at Casa Vallarta great hangout bar called Emerald Isle is five minutes away and has amazing views of the Rockies and Cherry Creek. If you camp at CCSP, you will enjoy it.
Airborne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 11:15 AM   #16

There may be last minute openings with power. You never know.
X2 on Casa Vallarta.
Old 04-16-2016, 07:35 PM   #17

We are staying there soon. Can't wait to see it- I've heard great things!

Run Free Sweet Riley 2009-2015

Visit our blog for more information and details!
www.kels4g.com
Kels4g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 01:07 AM   #18

One place that I have stayed two different times when I was going to conventions in Denver was the Dakota Ridge RV Park in Golden. It was only a 20 minute drive from the park to downtown Denver. Nice park, clean, full hookups, etc.

Here is their web site:
Dakota Ridge - www.essentialcoloradorv.com

If you play golf, there is a fantastic course just minutes from the RV Park called Fossil Trace Golf Club. Their web site is:
Top Denver Golf Courses | Best Colorado Golf Courses | Fossil Trace
WayneLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 11:34 AM   #19

Also try looking at Chatfield Reservoir. It's similar to Cherry Creek but larger. Both have lots of paved bike trails and scenic views. Chatfield is a 40m drive from CC. Fees are the same (state park) and Chatfield is next to Waterton Canyon which is gorgeous for hikes!