Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2022, 11:34 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
I have honestly never met any adult in the last 20 years who can travel that didn't have at least one card. I think if you don't have one it is a personal choice with resulting consequennces.
I've met a few in recent years that don't have a credit card. Some because they can't get one due to credit problems. Others don't because they fear tracking of their activities by public or private entities.

I think most who dislike any cash-only or card only change is simply that they don't like the idea of change (as in "different") itself.

Not having a card while traveling can be just as problematic as not having cash (or enough) for unforeseen circumstances.

On the idea of a cashless society, one advantage could well be the curtailing of a major source of crime. The all to common "holdup" if Convenience Stores, Liquor Stores, etc.

Not much point in holding them up if no cash there and all you can get is a 6-pack, bag of chips, and some twinkies.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2022, 12:55 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennie View Post
That is true, but who doesn’t have a cell phone for pictures, gps, emergency or cc/atm info. Easy to have a card in your phone to use or cash app, Venmo, Zelle & the like. No need to carry a wallet or cash for that matter.
ME - my cell phone is a phone. I have NO data. If I want to be 'connected' I sit down at my desk top or laptop computers and get connected all I want or need. I travel full time and get along just fine, have cash for when I want or need it, have a credit card or two for everything else. It's certainly not an either or situation. I know several folks who have never had the desire to become computerized.
OldGal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2022, 01:11 PM   #63

Agree NMWildcat
Jennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 08:51 AM   #64

I agree with NMWildcat as well, if they don’t carry it’s a personal choice. When we make our long trips we get a prepaid visa ( no credit check) and then control how much we leave on it. I keep resisting the new system of using your phone to pay. I know I will eventually cave.
On a side note for big business cash hasn’t been king for awhile, it appears protecting cash is expensive. It appears hiring armored guards armored truck is more expensive than we would expect, especially when your talking 1000’s of locations. It also appears that managers/ designated employee don’t make night drops for free. When I worked for car dealership we hated cash deals the manager would give a better deal if they would finance. Why because our finance guy and dealership got kick back from banks for sending deals to them.
Old 04-18-2022, 08:59 AM   #65

How about right to access public property? The US Federal Government let's traveler A in because they have a credit card. Traveler B has a legal method to pay for admittance, issued by the same Federal Government, but the Federal Government denies them access. We aren't talking about a WalMart self service checkout kiosk here that accepts only credit cards, we are talking about a National Monument that would seem to me anyone with a legal means of paying should be able to enter. It should either be open for everyone to see, or closed for everyone, assuming that they have a legal method of paying the entrance fee. And I apologize if that statement is too political.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 09:07 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
How about right to access public property? The US Federal Government let's traveler A in because they have a credit card. Traveler B has a legal method to pay for admittance, issued by the same Federal Government, but the Federal Government denies them access. We aren't talking about a WalMart self service checkout kiosk here that accepts only credit cards, we are talking about a National Monument that would seem to me anyone with a legal means of paying should be able to enter. It should either be open for everyone to see, or closed for everyone, assuming that they have a legal method of paying the entrance fee. And I apologize if that statement is too political.
For folks who don't do their research for what is needed to follow the rules when planning a national park trip, I suppose the NP could put in place a cash to card kiosk where the uninformed could trade their cash for a prepaid card to gain admittance. Problem solved.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 09:10 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
For folks who don't do their research for what is needed to follow the rules when planning a national park trip, I suppose the NP could put in place a cash to card kiosk where the uninformed could trade their cash for a prepaid card to gain admittance. Problem solved.
There you go! Simple solution! Thinking outside the box! And the kiosk could keep track of the amount of cash in it and send a signal at say $1,000 to whomever - "Come empty me, please!" It would probably only need to be emptied once a year, but it would protect peoples rights to visit their own National Monuments and Parks.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 08:09 AM   #68

This drew my attention as we’ll be there one month from now. We have the Lifetime Senior Pass but appreciate the heads up! Will let you know if we see any aliens!

2018 Leprechaun 311FS
Doxies in the Rockies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 09:06 AM   #69

Meh..I used to always use cash and rarely used plastic. I didn't even like checks at the grocery store and used cash most of the time. But, as times have changed, I've gone almost completely in the opposite direction and rarely use cash at all. More often then not, I don't even use my Visa debit card itself and just tap my Apple watch or phone which is tied to my Debit card. I find cashless these days much more convenient. Even in my wife's daycare, the parents all pay with either Apple Pay or Venmo now (their choice, not a requirement by us) and it's so much easier than dealing with checks or cash. No fees either unless I want instant bank transfer when transferring to my bank.
US Navy Veteran
RandK-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 04:52 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
I understand, to a degree, as to what you are saying, but times have changed as we must change with it. I know this is not true for ALL National Parks, so since there may be some that do not allow cash, why would you not simply bring a cc or bank debit card (which can be run as a cc) for those parks you’d like to visit that do not accept it? With people retiring (my former BIL did recently) and not enough people to staff parks entirely, it makes fiscal sense to me not to over tax the people they do have working who are already wearing multiple hats.
Old 04-22-2022, 04:52 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by navylcdr View Post
there you go! Simple solution! Thinking outside the box! And the kiosk could keep track of the amount of cash in it and send a signal at say $1,000 to whomever - "come empty me, please!" it would probably only need to be emptied once a year, but it would protect peoples rights to visit their own national monuments and parks.
����

Tags
tow