Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2020, 04:40 PM   #1

Drive dually on Going to the Sun Road

We are in Kalispell with our 5ver we had reservations with Red Bus Tours to do the Going to the Sun Road tour that got cancelled because they couldn't do what the government Covid related and still make a profit. So my question is can I safely drive my Longbed Crew Cab Dually from West Glacier to Rising Sun and back?
Old 07-22-2020, 04:48 PM   #2

Your truck footprint is close to the Red Bus footprint because they are built on the FORD running gear! Youroo!!
Old 07-22-2020, 04:55 PM   #3
D W

All the info you need is here:

https://www.nps.gov/glac/planyourvisit/gtsrinfo.htm

Note: In the case of a "wildfire" all bets are off!
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 05:54 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
All the info you need is here:

https://www.nps.gov/glac/planyourvisit/gtsrinfo.htm

Note: In the case of a "wildfire" all bets are off!
I guess I am legal but, just barely. Wanted to do the tour so I could enjoy the trip instead of White Knuckling while driving it.
Old 07-22-2020, 06:03 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickV View Post
I guess I am legal but, just barely. Wanted to do the tour so I could enjoy the trip instead of White Knuckling while driving it.
We did both the Red Bus and the "FREE NPS Bus"! Not driving is a Big PLUS! Are the NPS Bus service Not Running? Youroo!!
Old 07-22-2020, 06:33 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
We did both the Red Bus and the "FREE NPS Bus"! Not driving is a Big PLUS! Are the NPS Bus service Not Running? Youroo!!
Nope nothing is running and you can only go as far as Rising Sun the Indian Lands are all closed down.

Told my wife was gonna make her drive.
Old 07-22-2020, 06:44 PM   #7

Drove through it in an Expedition years ago. Great views. Might want to pull in the mirrors. Some places were tight. Think a Volkswagen Beetle would have been less stressful, or anything smaller. Its just wasn't very wide.
Old 07-22-2020, 07:05 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stank Bait View Post
Drove through it in an Expedition years ago. Great views. Might want to pull in the mirrors. Some places were tight. Think a Volkswagen Beetle would have been less stressful, or anything smaller. Its just wasn't very wide.
Tried to rent a car, none available. I will drive as far as I am reasonably comfortable.
Old 07-22-2020, 07:27 PM   #9

We crossed it on the trike a few years ago. That is the best way to see something like that because you can look up, down and all around without anything to block the view. There were a couple of places where looking down was bit disconcerting for me, I have a bit of a fear of heights. If I go again I will try to camp on the east side and come up from there so the sun will be at my back and the wall on my side of the road for the trip up and over, then the sun at my back on the way back in the afternoon.
2022 F150 Powerboost Hybrid.
DougW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 01:24 PM   #10

Quote:
Tried to rent a car, none available. I will drive as far as I am reasonably comfortable.
We did it last year with a SRW diesel. With a dually it will be very stressful, you will need to retract your mirrors. And there's no turning back with a dually until you hit Logan Pass.
Old 07-23-2020, 01:41 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmdomokos View Post
We did it last year with a SRW diesel. With a dually it will be very stressful, you will need to retract your mirrors. And there's no turning back with a dually until you hit Logan Pass.
Same for us. It was tight but manageable with an SRW. You may want to call the park and find out what they recommend.
Now:2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2008 Ford F-250 Long Bed Diesel
Total of 30 Months on the Road Since 2008
DrLewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 02:00 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLewie View Post
Same for us. It was tight but manageable with an SRW. You may want to call the park and find out what they recommend.
Quote:
We just got back from there wasn't as bad I thought it would be. We went early so there wasn't much oncoming traffic so I could cheat over the line if needed. Only went up as far as Logan Pass did The Hidden Lake trail hike. Return trip I had to deal with oncoming traffic and had to come to a complete stop a few times. All in all I worried about it more then I should have even the drop off section didn't bother me much. The Needles Highway in Custer State Park is way worse.
Old 07-23-2020, 02:00 PM   #13

I would have driven it in our 34' Palazzo, if they had let me..... oh, well.

We took the road up from Aspen to INDEPENDENCE PASS in Colorado - probably more of an 'issue' in a large vehicle than the 'going to the sun road'. We scrubbed a guard rail on the passenger front corner while trying to ease past a dually truck who was also trying to 'miss' the shear rock cliff wall on his side.... fun, though! These are things that make memories!

Another wider but just as interesting 'road' is the COLORADO NATIONAL MONUMENT 'RimRock' drive from Fruita to Grand Junction....CRAZY GOOD!!!!!!

Also, the '1' on the California coast from San Jose down past the Hurst Castle to Cambria, thru the BIG SUR..... drive from North to South, on the 'cliff' ocean side! CRAZY GOOD!!!!!
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 02:08 PM   #14

Just was going to say: go early

RickV, you did what I was going to recommend. Go early and avoid traffic. Great job!

I’m thinking that there is less traffic during this pandemic than there would have been last year when we were there. But I never took my 12 passenger on the road as I’m afraid of heights. But we loved that. It was our favorite experience by far of all the parks we hit in WY, SD and MT.

Glad it worked out well for you.

I think the East side (of Logan) would be a little easier for ya. But maybe someone else would disagree with me.
BigJdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 02:12 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJdawg View Post
RickV, you did what I was going to recommend. Go early and avoid traffic. Great job!

I’m thinking that there is less traffic during this pandemic than there would have been last year when we were there. But I never took my 12 passenger on the road as I’m afraid of heights. But we loved that. It was our favorite experience by far of all the parks we hit in WY, SD and MT.

I think the East side (of Logan) would be a little easier for ya. But maybe someone else would disagree with me.
I agree with you, westside to Logan pass is the hard part. Logan to eastside is completely doable with a dually.
Old 07-23-2020, 03:41 PM   #16
Alpha Wolf 29DQ-L

Quote:
Damn few places big enough for you to turn around on that road... have fun & be safe!
Jcrow9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 05:58 PM   #17

Maybe I’m just a poor driver, but last time I drove my
SRW truck through the park, I’d fold in my power mirrors each time I met another truck with towing mirrors. Do duals extend further than mirrors?
frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 06:59 PM   #18

You will not need mirrors
Can keep them in
Nobody will be coming up behind and passing you
This road was built for Model A Ford
They were not wide

Let us know how it went
No other drive like it
Enjoy
Old 07-23-2020, 07:35 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJdawg View Post

Quote:
I agree with you, westside to Logan pass is the hard part. Logan to eastside is completely doable with a dually.
East side is closed you can only enter from West Glacier and can only go as far East as Rising Sun. So that option wasn't available.
Old 07-23-2020, 09:21 PM   #20
Just as confused as you

Quote:
We just got back from there wasn't as bad I thought it would be. We went early so there wasn't much oncoming traffic so I could cheat over the line if needed. Only went up as far as Logan Pass did The Hidden Lake trail hike. Return trip I had to deal with oncoming traffic and had to come to a complete stop a few times. All in all I worried about it more then I should have even the drop off section didn't bother me much. The Needles Highway in Custer State Park is way worse.
We went this time last year when the place was busy, we took the bus tour on the first day then we drove it the next day so we could stop at the pull-outs driving a Silverado 1500 club cab short bed and we had to stop a few times in the road. Several small cars sure wanted more than their fair share of the road. A couple of cars took to the middle of the road when they went through at the Weeping Wall where the water was coming down the rock face onto the road. They weren't driving convertibles so I guess they didn't want their cars to shrink. DW said the water was very cold as we followed them through on our side of the road with the windows open.

Attached is a couple of maps for those who are interested but have never been there.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Glacier NP Map.pdf (1.11 MB, 100 views)
File Type: pdf Glacier NP Main Trail.pdf (636.9 KB, 49 views)
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote