Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-26-2018, 11:45 AM   #1
Gold Tee Box

Driving around LA

In a few weeks we've be going from MO to CA (Petaluma) taking the southern route I10. We're planning on I10 to Rt210 to I210 to I5 around LA and then north.

I've never driven that, or towed. Our plan is to get to I210 around 10:00 a.m., on a Wednesday, and get out of town north on I5 by 2:00.

There aren't many pull offs, but I found one at Santa Anita Ave where we could pull off the side on the off ramp if DW needs to use the RR. It looks like that stretch of road on 210 would be really tough to get around if you pulled off into a neighborhood or shopping area, especially with Christmas shopping.

Not sure just how much bad traffic, so I hope this works.

Teetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 12:45 PM   #2
Multi-Slacker

From the CA/AZ border is to the 210 is ~2 hrs+. There are two rest areas in that stretch. One is well east of Indio and one is in the Palm Springs area. From the 210 to the 5 takes you through Pasadena where traffic is always bad, figure 3 hrs+ to get through the Pasadena/LA stretch. Start of 210 to the 57 is 1.5 hrs and another 1.5 to 2 hrs to get thru town after the 57. Plan on stopping at the Palm Springs rest area because I know of no others until you are north of town. Pretty sure there is one on the Grapevine or just on the other side but that is about 4 hrs away. Also be aware that the grapevine is high enough to get wintry weather - so watch the weather reports and check road conditions. Hope this helps.
Old 11-26-2018, 01:54 PM   #3
Gold Tee Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtPutnam View Post
From the CA/AZ border is to the 210 is ~2 hrs+. There are two rest areas in that stretch. One is well east of Indio and one is in the Palm Springs area. From the 210 to the 5 takes you through Pasadena where traffic is always bad, figure 3 hrs+ to get through the Pasadena/LA stretch. Start of 210 to the 57 is 1.5 hrs and another 1.5 to 2 hrs to get thru town after the 57. Plan on stopping at the Palm Springs rest area because I know of no others until you are north of town. Pretty sure there is one on the Grapevine or just on the other side but that is about 4 hrs away. Also be aware that the grapevine is high enough to get wintry weather - so watch the weather reports and check road conditions. Hope this helps.
Thank you Curt, this is what I was hoping for when I posted.

I am planning a stop on I10 MM104 Morongo Travel center and then perhaps Exit 91 Rest Area. After that, I was hoping to get to I5 MM176 Castaic Pilot.

I didn't know about the I5 Grapevine elevations and weather conditions.

We were taking I10 to stay away from weather conditions on I40, thru Flagstaff to Rt 58 to Bakersfield.

I may have to reconsider and look for optional routes, or if lucky, just stay on I40.

Planning on coming back in late January...same route.

Old 11-26-2018, 01:59 PM   #4

you could conceivably take i-15 north at riverside to either 58 to mojave and then tehachapi or i-15 to 395 and then over to techachapi. from tehachapi you'd have to connect to i-5.
Old 11-26-2018, 02:18 PM   #5
Multi-Slacker

At Morongo, the truck/rv lanes are to the right - but are always clogged with cars. Diesel is usually as inexpensive as can be found in the area. If you need to clothes shop, the outlet center is next door. The Palm Springs rest area and Morongo are only about 15 minutes apart. There are no open rest stops, of which I am aware, after the Palm Springs stop - you'll have to live with the truck stops.

The grapevine does not shut down often, but it can so just keep a weather eye out.

If you take the 40 consider picking up the 395 in Barstow and avoiding LA altogether.

San Francisco is a nightmare that I do not see you avoiding, but if you can afford the time, do anything in your power to stay out of it. Might need another post to ask the NorCal folks.
Old 11-26-2018, 02:38 PM   #6
Gold Tee Box

Quote:

San Francisco is a nightmare that I do not see you avoiding, but if you can afford the time, do anything in your power to stay out of it. Might need another post to ask the NorCal folks.
Thanks again. I burn Diesel so I can just find stops and pull in with the big boys if needed.

You are right about the Bay area ...we've probably taken 20 trips thru there from Donner Pass on I80, CA 99, and I5, over the years. I think we know every way around SF and Oakland to get to Petaluma.

The best advise I have right now is the "Ten Day Weather Forecast" to fine tune the route. It's either around LA or swing back out to Barstow, Tehachapi, Bakersfield, and up. At least I know that route.

I appreciate your help

Old 11-26-2018, 02:39 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
At Morongo, the truck/rv lanes are to the right - but are always clogged with cars. Diesel is usually as inexpensive as can be found in the area. If you need to clothes shop, the outlet center is next door. The Palm Springs rest area and Morongo are only about 15 minutes apart. There are no open rest stops, of which I am aware, after the Palm Springs stop - you'll have to live with the truck stops.

The grapevine does not shut down often, but it can so just keep a weather eye out.

If you take the 40 consider picking up the 395 in Barstow and avoiding LA altogether.

To avoid SF, you need to post from which way you're approaching SF.
101, I5, I80?
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 05:19 PM   #8

Check out the app named "Weather Route". I have the Android version and it's great. Key in your current location, desired destination, and the speed you average while driving. It then gives weather conditions, current for where you are and the expected conditions along the way based on your drive time. There's a slider at the bottom of the screen that allows you to move your departure time forward and see if any of the forecasts change by the time you get there.

Gives all kinds of alerts for conditions along the way. I use the "Free" version and have found it to be just fine for my needs. It's helped me avoid some freezing temps by just starting an hour or so later in the day. For best results I'd recommend just entering a destination that's no more than 36-48 hours (clock time) ahead.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote