Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-24-2022, 10:35 AM   #1

Favorite spots in Eastern WA area?

We are moving to the Spokane area this summer and I wanted to get a jump start on camping areas within the vicinity. Up to say 4-5hrs out.

The only thing I know for certain we want to visit is Glacier and my uncle owns a RV park in Hungry Horse, so we should have an in there. But I'm also interested in more local places.

We typically like to be as secluded as possible, but also aren't setup (yet) for boondocking. We like to bike ride, hike, explore and relax.

Thanks for any information!
jesus_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 01:43 PM   #2

Eastern Washington/Northern Idaho/Western Montana should have you covered for places to go...then there is always BC and AL in Canada. For biking take a look at https://www.ridethehiawatha.com if you like that type of biking. If you are into Mountain Biking, do a search and it should give you tons of options. I go back to visit most every year but stay in places for convenience, not seclusion. RV TripWizard is a great tool to find RV parks both commercial and state/county, even COE. Location wise, I always liked Sullivan Lake since it was close to where I lived and loved the area. Do some snooping, you'll find more than you can experience in a life time!
OldGal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 02:26 PM   #3

Thank you! We did something very similar to that in SD this past summer called Mickelson Trail. It was 109 miles, we divided into 4 days. 15 miles is probably more our speed tho!

I'll check out the app!

Being a CO native, I am very much looking forward to the mountains!!
Old 01-26-2022, 10:48 AM   #4

Northern Idaho has the best lakes around. I like Ferry, Stevens and Pend Orielle Counties for camping.
ppine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 12:34 PM   #5

Another question:

I was shocked to find that in ND, having electrical hookups were quite high on the list due to the need to run the AC to sleep (and stay) comfortably. What climate conditions exist in this area? Will I again be targeting campgrounds with 30a services or can we get by with just a plug-in to keep batteries full and a fan running? Or begin to figure out what it takes to be better prepared to boondock?

And, if our tolerance for camping are temps where lows are @ 30*F or above, what would you say the camping season is?

What prompted these questions is I began to explore the area to find that it seems all sites at recreation.gov in northern ID have no power.

In CO, we generally camped high enough that hot temperatures weren't a factor. Back then, we were tent campers and that was easy to do when there was no need for more than a shade tree during the day. We're now more spoiled, but we may venture back into tent camping a time or two??
Old 01-26-2022, 02:03 PM   #6

Well, that's a difficult question - I lived there 15 years and experienced all of the above. I never had an RV during that time, but now when I return to visit I 'always' get hook-ups.
That is usually in May when it can be either cold or hot! Not really hot, hot, but warm...or it can snow. I have some pictures of my place with 5" of snow on May 5th one year. I think once you get up there and make some recon trips you will be more than happy with what is available. Check out the Newport, WA area, follow Hwy. 20 to Tiger then up over Tiger Pass/Meadow. There are lots of smaller lakes up there, look up the Little Pend Oreille chain of lakes. Also there is the Little Pend Oreille National Wildlife Refuge about 11 miles from Colville. Spent lots of time there - it's closed until April 15th +/- each year, although open for hunting during deer season in the fall. Even though it's closed you are welcome to hike from the gates or visitor center during the winter. Usually never saw another person with the exception of a ranger or two. Lots of snow most winters. I believe it's 77k acres with a couple no hookup camping areas that are big enough for RV's since they are used a bit for horse camping. Lakes, streams, meadows, trees, eagles, deer, bear, wolves, and most everything in between. You are making me miss it!
OldGal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 10:10 PM   #7

Priest Lake, ID - Indian Creek, Luby Bay or Beaver Bay campgrounds
Lake Pend O'rielle, ID - Farragut State Park
Banks Lake, WA - Steamboat Rock State Park.
Pearrygin State Park outside of Winthrop, WA.
Most all need reservations 9 months in advance because they are so popular,
2012 Ford F150 FX4 3.5 EcoBoost
jay2703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 10:23 PM   #8

Just have to say thanks for your service I was stationed at Minot 92 to 95. I remember the sign over the North Gate only the best come north. My next duty station was Eielson. LOL
We just did trip to Washington this summer left Texas to get out of heat and wouldn’t you know hit the heat wave. Check out places on the Columbia river. Venture to southern Oregon crater lake usually has snow till August Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2389.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	296.2 KB
ID:	268212
Old 01-27-2022, 10:08 AM   #9

Thanks Jay! ND state parks allow you to book 95 days in advance. 9 months seems crazy!! Perhaps the money we might spend on reservations should go towards getting setup to boondock??

Moose - thank you for your service as well! Eielson, yeah, that's a bit north of here, but I think the climate is quite similar! We've had an unusually snowy winter. This is only our second winter here and I only used my snowblower once last year. This year, it's been worked hard many times already. BTW - The sign is still over the main gate.

Crater lake is a place I've always wanted to visit!
Old 01-27-2022, 03:25 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay2703 View Post
X2
clintbonnie73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 03:35 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay2703 View Post
Having formally been Washington State residents, we found out this past Summer, that some Idaho parks charges double the campsite price, for out-of-state residents. Farragut State Park is one of them.
We could have stayed on a, full hookups lakeside site, on Lake Coeur d'Aline, for the same price.
We won't go back to Farragut unless Idaho drops this policy.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 03:40 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppine View Post
Northern Idaho has the best lakes around. I like Ferry, Stevens and Pend Orielle Counties for camping.
We agree northern Idaho has great camping resources. As a Washington resident, be prepared to be pay more to stay in Idaho State Parks than our Idaho neighbors. Out of state reservations have a rather stiff sur-charge.
NwNative49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 05:29 PM   #13
Part-Time Campground Host

Years ago (80s) we used to camp at La Wis Wis in Randall, WA. Trout fishing was great. Not sure what's it like now. There used to be tons of great CGs in Eastern WA. Good Luck and Good Camping!
Equalizer Hitch w/4-Point Sway Control

Days camped since 2015(retirement): 1687
cboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 05:59 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Having formally been Washington State residents, we found out this past Summer, that some Idaho parks charges double the campsite price, for out-of-state residents.
I noticed that in some of the fee schedules. That's not real cool for sure, but I may call and see if there is a way around that.
Old 01-27-2022, 10:56 PM   #15

West of Spokane....the town of Leavenworth and surrounding areas was simply wonderful to visit and a highlight of our trip. Check it out when you have time.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 12:49 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
West of Spokane....the town of Leavenworth and surrounding areas was simply wonderful to visit and a highlight of our trip. Check it out when you have time.
We were stationed in Germany for 4 years, so I am very excited to check out Leavenworth!! Would be awesome to also look into camping areas near there!
Old 01-28-2022, 03:53 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesus_man View Post
We were stationed in Germany for 4 years, so I am very excited to check out Leavenworth!! Would be awesome to also look into camping areas near there!
Icicle River RV park is where we stayed...great place but book early! KOA is closer to town but a bit under cared for despite the price. State parks & lakes nearby if you prefer those. Lotsa good German places for brats and beer and schnitzels! We liked Colchucks best!
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 09:14 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
Leavenworth has gotten very busy the past few years. The big crowds take away some of the charm for me.
2012 Ford F150 FX4 3.5 EcoBoost
jay2703 is offline   Reply With Quote