Old 11-23-2018, 10:38 AM   #1

First trip

Hey all. Finally got to take the Chappy out on her maiden cristening the past few days. Everything went great but had a few hiccups.

These are some real first world problems right here. First off the i forgot the remotes to the kids tv so couldn't get that to work. Second the wifi in the park was horrendous so our bedroom tv couldn't stream Netflix.

Now to the semi major issue. The tv antenna wouldn't raise up. While driving home when we stopped for lunch i looked up and the antenna was partially raised , likely due to the wind from driving. Got it to lowered and got home. climbed on roof yesterday and noticed one of the arms was broken. Looks like I'm in the market for a new tv antenna. SUGGESTIONS? Second the black tank flush didn't work and was pouring water out under the sink from the back flow preventer. Can i just delete that and install one right behind the inlet?

And the customary stupid move that happens with any maiden voyage was when i went to open the cover on my kitchen and outdoor sink tank i mustive left the valve open when i did the cleaning of the tanks. Pulled off cap. Got a lap full of gray water. Thank God for a change of clothes.

I want to thank everyone here who have helped me in my journey in 5th wheel ownership

swampdonkey772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 12:20 PM   #2

Did you have the black tank flush valve open when you connected the water hose to the black tank flush? You didn't tell us what type of RV you have? Sorry for your antenna issue. There are a number of then on the market. I usually look then up on Camping World's Website they usually have a good description. Wifi in RV parks are almost not very good. Many RV parks will tell you not to stream movies etc because they don't have the capacity. If you are going to stream movies you need you own Wifi. I use the same one from ATT that I have at home. I just take it with me when we RV. I have never streamed movies so I can't offer anything regarding that. We have three TVs on DirectTV/ATT that we use. Good Luck

whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 12:24 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by whj77372 View Post
Did you have the black tank flush valve open when you connected the water hose to the black tank flush? You didn't tell us what type of RV you have? Sorry for your antenna issue. There are a number of then on the market. I usually look then up on Camping World's Website they usually have a good description. Wifi in RV parks are almost not very good. Many RV parks will tell you not to stream movies etc because they don't have the capacity. If you are going to stream movies you need you own Wifi. I use the same one from ATT that I have at home. I just take it with me when we RV. I have never streamed movies so I can't offer anything regarding that. We have three TVs on DirectTV/ATT that we use. Good Luck
According to the diagram in my docking station the valve was open. My 5er is a 2014 chaparrel 29BHS. the antenna i see are the wing type or omnidirectional. Which one is better
swampdonkey772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 01:09 PM   #4
Pickin', Campin', Mason

The black tank flush back flow/anti-siphon valve is an often discussed issue.
Many leak, many won't flow water. There have been several posts where it has been eliminated and replaced with a check valve behind the connection. I'm not sure that meets manufacturing code but you won't have water all over your floor.

If your antenna is the crank-up Winegard type, stick with it and simply buy the replacement parts necessary. There are lots of reports on the omni-directional antennas not working well.

As suggested, please do not stream Netflix or other streaming tv services over the campground wifi unless there is an option from the campground to purchase increased bandwidth. Streaming tv uses enough bandwidth that if even a handful of folks in the campground stream tv, there won't be any bandwidth for others. If you simply can't be without streaming tv on a camping trip, get a mobile hot spot as mentioned.
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '17=30 '18=51 '19=58 '20=83
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
first trip