Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2017, 07:50 PM   #1

First trip...Austin to Mesa Verde

Total newbies and first trip. On the last day now. Having a TT is awesome! 7 days in the riad with no problems. Towing a 26BH with an Armada getting about 12mph.....not bad. Wants to run abiut 65mph so i let it...not hitting above 70. Love just rolling and calling a couple hours ahead where ever we felt like stopping. On my phone so keeping it short. Will post up some pics and stories when we get home. Got a few crazy ones.
KnuckleBones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 01:44 AM   #2

So, found pottery pieces at the perimeter of a site in Mesa Verde. Was a nice surprise for sure.
Old 08-06-2017, 01:45 AM   #3

Went rafting in Durango....ended up in a full on down pour with hail and lightening. Loved every minute of it!

Old 08-06-2017, 01:47 AM   #4

On the way home we hit Route 66 and stopped in Santa Rosa. Got some nice pics of vintage Americana at its best.

Old 08-06-2017, 01:50 AM   #5

Dwellings at Mesa Verde were awesome as well.

Old 08-06-2017, 01:59 AM   #6

Strangest thing that happened this trip was we met a great couple in the spot next to us at Mesa Verde. Two days later on the road in Texas we witnessed a truck ram a TT in front of us...truck went off the road and crashed....TT slowed and stopped. I stopped to help. It was the couple from Mesa Verde that got hit! They were OK and their rig had minimal damage. What are the odds of that!
Old 08-06-2017, 02:28 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Glad you had a great trip. Mesa Verde is beautiful. I spent a summer in college working as a wrangler on a dude ranch in Mancos about 15 min from mesa Verde. Used to camp with the horses under the stars at transfer corrals. Your picture of the cliff dwellings brings back so many wonderful memories for me. Thank you for sharing.

Here is a pic from the transfer corrals.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2gsn7ue.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	147313  
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 11:15 AM   #8
Always Learning

Very nice pics. The Route 66 photos look awesome! I'll definitely pencil that in for our next cross country trip.
Old 08-06-2017, 12:30 PM   #9

Location: Full timer,,,at Lake Georgetown in central Texas for the winter.
We've been there three times and loved it each time,,,learning more each time. We workamped near Telluride for the summer of 2014 and loved the area. Ya gotta go to 4 corners and lay down in all 4 states at the same time while you're in the area.
Grampa Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 01:00 PM   #10

Artifacts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnuckleBones View Post
So, found pottery pieces at the perimeter of a site in Mesa Verde. Was a nice surprise for sure.
I hope you left it there.
Stevejfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 01:52 PM   #11

There are some very, very tough laws about taking pot chards! Major fines and even jail time.
Old 08-06-2017, 02:01 PM   #12

Location: Full timer,,,at Lake Georgetown in central Texas for the winter.
Taking those artifacts will get you arrested in a New York minute!
Grampa Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 02:34 PM   #13

If the shards were inside the Mesa Verde park area and you kept them, then yep, very illegal. If they see your post and picture, good luck!!

But not all indian relic collection is illegal in the southwest, depending on who owns the land. Last time I looked it is only illegal on private land if it is associated with a grave (human remains). But I'm sure every state/city has different rules on the subject.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 02:47 PM   #14

Regardless leave them for others to enjoy
Stevejfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 03:04 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnuckleBones View Post
Very tough laws about collecting stuff like this in Mesa Verde! Better delete your Forest River account
Roberte52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 03:08 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevejfy View Post
I hope you left it there.
Archeological resources are valuable only if left in place.
At times, park visitors may find a piece of pottery, an arrowhead, a corncob, or bit of twine. These articles are important clues for archeologists about the daily lives of the Ancestral Puebloans. You are encouraged to look at these items, but do not pick them up! Leave them in place and report them to a park ranger as soon as possible, so that we can all share the value of your discovery.
Roberte52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 03:12 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
If the shards were inside the Mesa Verde park area and you kept them, then yep, very illegal. If they see your post and picture, good luck!!

But not all indian relic collection is illegal in the southwest, depending on who owns the land. Last time I looked it is only illegal on private land if it is associated with a grave (human remains). But I'm sure every state/city has different rules on the subject.
It is illegal on all State and Federal Land. If collected on private land, you must a letter in your possession stating that a) you had permission to be on the land, b) you had the owner's permission to collect on the land, and c) you have his permission to keep the artifact in your possession. That is definitely a get-out-of-jail free card. I used to find pottery and shards along with the rare stone axe while doing geological field mapping in New Mexico. I would mark the location on my field map and report it the next day to the local BLM or Forest Service archeologist. Most of the time they had only a slight passing interest.
elchilero53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 07:31 PM   #18

We left them.

Edit: I'll ring up the NPS and let them know the area. Thanks for the heads up on how that works. They were literally every where around the edge of the site right on the trail.