Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-09-2015, 03:10 PM   #41

Crazy Horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbdrell View Post
We skipped Crazy Horse. Still under construction and way too expensive. I feel bad for the indians but this is a rip off.
It's in no way funded by the government. I like to go there just to make a donation to help finish it. I felt there was a lot of history and can't wait to take our grandchildren to Crazy Horse
lindalees818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 03:42 PM   #42
Just A Member

We were in the Black Hills a couple years ago coming from Cody Wyoming. Don't remember the mountain pass from WY to SD but it had the steepest grades I have ever driven. Just a heads up. We stayed at the KOA it was OK A.
2013 Silverado 1500 4x4 6.2L Max Tow
EDABEUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 04:39 PM   #43

Location: Full timer,,,at Lake Georgetown in central Texas for the winter.
Our visit to Crazy Horse was fantastic,,,,especially the nighttime laser show when Lee Greenwood sang his song....Proud to be an American. That with the lights on the sculpture ran chills up and down us and got lots of cheers from the audience. It's worth the donation to get into the park.
Grampa Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 06:41 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDABEUT View Post
We were in the Black Hills a couple years ago coming from Cody Wyoming. Don't remember the mountain pass from WY to SD but it had the steepest grades I have ever driven. Just a heads up. We stayed at the KOA it was OK A.

X2 on that pass. Had a class c with a toad and didn't think that I was going to make it. Overheat/stink/almost died. Pulled over a couple of times to let her rest. If I was going to do it again with that coach, I would remove the toad and have my dw follow until I topped out.

Rich
gasman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 07:47 PM   #45

Appreciate the info on the road from Cody . We'll be taking a more southern route through Casper probably entering SD via why 18 or 16. This a new bucket list photo trip so any ideas for unique photo stops are most appreciated. For photos from our bucket list trip this year, click here: Forest River Forums - Canonman's Album: The Grand Loop…Sorta
Currently enjoying second childhood
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 12:00 PM   #46
peaceparson

Crooked Creek is great! Also, if you do go to Deadwood, the hike up to Boot Hill is a must do! spearfish Canyon Drive is a wonderful trip, and if you are there at the right time for it, they put on a memorable Passion Play at the Speafish canyon outdoor theater. Of course, the presidents are the main attraction. I love the whole adventure. Alas, I cannot walk well anymore, so the hiking is out, but I do love the scenery and attractions. If you have the time and $, drive north to the badlands of N.D. Especially Theodore Roosevelt National Park. Stay at the campground just outside Medora. Lots to do and see there. Have a great trip! Thanks to a bit of moonlighting, my next vacation is pretty much paid for. Don't know where I will go yet, but it will be in the general direction of north and west.
peaceparson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 12:06 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNBINFV View Post

The highlight of our trip was visiting Black Hills Wild Horse Sanctuary. My husband did the regular tour and I did the photographers tour. On the photo tour we were up close and personal with the horses. Our guide was great. Black Hills Wild Horse Sanctuary
X2
2014 Forester 3051s
2013 Fiat 500 Sport
Workin on my Curmudgeon badge
rapiniii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 07:38 PM   #48

More excellent ideas! Thank you
One thing of note I discovered just today. All the Campgrounds within the Custer State Park can be reserved a full year in advance. Making plans now for the third week in July. Might go earlier depending on how the DW feels about it. Any suggestions on what month is better?? Understand avoiding first two weeks in August.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_5705.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	292.1 KB
ID:	94055  
Currently enjoying second childhood
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 08:25 PM   #49

I agree with most of the posts. But the many times I have been there have been the first 2 weeks in August.
2012 Ram 3500, diesel, 4X4, dually, black, de-badged.
1994 Harley Heritage Softail, black.
2014 Honda Pioneer, not available in black.
Biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 08:57 PM   #50

Deadwood, devils tower , take the back roads to the town of Alladen to belle fourche . Of off 90 is Piedmont campground elk creek . Rapid city best place for food shopping. Also a must is spearfish canyon. It might cost to get in crazy horse but it's a don't miss if your there only 1 time. But there is a pull of with a good camera and binocular you can see the horse. But the museum is great. Try and get more days to see everything .
retired on a mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 02:41 PM   #51

Definitely the Badlands, Custer St. Park. Make sure you take something to feed the donkeys if they are out. They often stop traffic and beg food from the vehicles. We were the cool kids on the block when they found out we had marshmallows. Deadwood was fun to see in the evening after it cooled down. Definitely Spearfish Canyon, several waterfalls. There is a little cafe at the entrance to the canyon at Cheyenne Crossing that the best Indian tacos ever. We stayed at the cabins behind the cafe and ate there several times.
US Navy veteran
Movike is offline   Reply With Quote