Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2021, 07:12 AM   #1

Gallop to Williams AZ via painted desert

So sitting here drinking coffee in Gallop NM looking at route options ( before I hook up here in a few hours.) Realize I have a few options ( two at quick glance) Today was scheduled short drive day because going thru the Painted Desert and Petrified forest on the way to Williams AZ.

Until I looked this morning I didnít realize there were two viable routes, nor did I realize I wouldnít have to retrace my route thru both ( though it hit me as I was typing I didnít last time either) to get back on route.

I say time isnít a huge deal so any suggestions stay on 40 and enter thru the forest or go northern route enter thru the desert.

I know I posted way late but I am early riser in a new time zone. Time to burn before I wake the masses. Thank you
moose074 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 07:15 AM   #2

Actually your entry at 40 isn't bad. I believe the other entrance is on 75. We did this in November last year. Went in off 40 and came out on 75. Went through the town and got back on 40 to continue to Phoenix.
hack522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 07:52 AM   #3

Thank you on google looks like most logical route, the northern route on google might be more scenic but not as logical thank you
Old 06-19-2021, 08:08 AM   #4

It definitely is. You won't be that far off 40. When we drove back home, we came in via 77(not 75) through Showlow. Your route definitely needs 40. Holbrook is right there when you exit the park. Enjoy and be safe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by moose074 View Post
Thank you on google looks like most logical route, the northern route on google might be more scenic but not as logical thank you
hack522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 01:44 PM   #5

Probably too late, but there are several wildfires burning in Arizona at the moment, so make sure you check with ADOT for road closures and evacuation routes.https://az511.com/

As of right now there are 3 major closures, but I think they may all be south of you.

Happiness is just a ride away!
Sharon455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 02:02 PM   #6

whichever route you take, when you get down off the mountain and on the flats into Phoenix, you will see signs warning you of dust storms. BELIEVE THEM! Follow their Instructions!!

We were traveling the opposite direction saw a small dust storm off to the east moving westward, I figured, No Big Deal. WRONG!

It got to the road before I got past where I was. AS SOON as I entered it my visibility was no further than the front of the hood of my truck, I AM NOT Exaggerating!

The signs tell you to pull off the roadway, turn your engine off and keep your foot off of the brakes.. Everyone stops, cars, semi=trucks, busses, Border Patrol cars, EVERYONE.

When it was over (30-40 minutes or so) there was a fine layer of dust covering my entire truck, and camper.
Old 06-19-2021, 04:24 PM   #7

I-40 is fine! The fires are south of it.

We are in Williams and the fires have closed our route home. Weíll have to detour over 100 miles tomorrow to get home. The closure that is affecting us is AZ-87 through pine / strawberry.
Old 06-19-2021, 06:09 PM   #8

I got caught in one of those dust storms just north of Gallup. Visibility didn't stop me driving, but the dust in my air filter made my check engine light come on. I had to stop and bang the dirt out of the filter. We did that detour through the painted desert a couple of years ago. Nice drive. We checked out the petrified forest since it isn't too far. I've never been to the asteroid crater, but some people say it is pretty cool.
Old 06-19-2021, 08:14 PM   #9

Ok so I chose the northern route, itís just we never made the painted desert or petrified forest. It appears that the wife put painted desert in the gps. I glanced said try the northern route. Wife does what wife does to make it happen. We take a beautiful drive through some great Arizona roads. About 75 miles later gps says we have arrived. Only problem is we hadnít it was a random house in BFE on BIA 6. Turn around head 60 or so miles to I 40 about 20 miles west of entrance to petrified forest. We decided we been there before not going to back trace. Sitting in Williams AZ going to try to visit Grand Canyon in morning. Then on to Reno Monday. Again thank you for responding
Old 06-19-2021, 08:21 PM   #10

This is the route after putting in google again I think I set her up for failure. I didnít look close enough to the map so the dark blue is route we took. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0461.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	451.1 KB
ID:	257392
Old 06-19-2021, 08:56 PM   #11

We just came down hwy 95, hwy 93, and I-40 from Carson city to Williams. Hwy 95 through Nevada is one of the best road surfaces we have been using on. The scenery is a bit repetitive.

Have a great trip!
Old 06-19-2021, 10:45 PM   #12

We just got home from a two week trip to the grand canyon. Went from gallup to painted desert, took the exit off i40 and drove all the way thru it. Stopped and looked a all the petrified trees. It was absolutely incredible.
howellma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 12:43 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by howellma View Post
We just got home from a two week trip to the grand canyon. Went from gallup to painted desert, took the exit off i40 and drove all the way thru it. Stopped and looked a all the petrified trees. It was absolutely incredible.

It is I think my problem was I didnít realize for gps purpose I needed petrified forest. I was wanting something we havenít seen before. We got that today. So while we didnít see what we intended we enjoyed the drive. I have been on I40 between Gallop and Flagstaff close to 1/2 dozen times. Today reroute gave us something never seen, but more importantly a hell of story for the family to talk about later.