Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2017, 02:19 PM   #21

Here is what we did for the east side of Glacier. I made reservations for 7 nights at St. Mary's Campground. The morning after arrival we left early to drive our truck to Many Glacier. We arrived there about 9 AM and found a campsite our 32' toy hauler trailer would fit in. I left my wife at the site stinging up some twine across our site entrance with paper plate signs saying "Occupied" while I completed the form, paid, and dropped it in the iron ranger. We went back to St. Mary's, got a credit for the site we were leaving early, and move to Many Glacier. When we returned to Many Glacier with the trailer, a couple in a class C was walking around our site with their RV on the road. I think if we hadn't arrived they were going to grab our site!

The campground stayed full the 6 nights we stayed with sites opening each morning. It appeared most mornings all sites were gone by noon.
Honda ST1100
BMW R1100R
Linnemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 02:21 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLewie View Post
Even the private parks outside the NP fill up. Do yourself a favor and make a reservation where you can. There are some decent private parks close to GNP. It will cost more but, for me at least, its better than a Walmart parking lot.
Yes I'm working on this. Currently looking at the Koa West Glacier (they have availability for my dates), and a couple of private sites that are a little less $$. I'm thinking I can scope out Apgar by car on my first day to see what the chances are, and if they look good, I'll leave the private site early and get in line early morning.
alexisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 02:25 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linnemj View Post
Here is what we did for the east side of Glacier. I made reservations for 7 nights at St. Mary's Campground. The morning after arrival we left early to drive our truck to Many Glacier. We arrived there about 9 AM and found a campsite our 32' toy hauler trailer would fit in. I left my wife at the site stinging up some twine across our site entrance with paper plate signs saying "Occupied" while I completed the form, paid, and dropped it in the iron ranger. We went back to St. Mary's, got a credit for the site we were leaving early, and move to Many Glacier. When we returned to Many Glacier with the trailer, a couple in a class C was walking around our site with their RV on the road. I think if we hadn't arrived they were going to grab our site!

The campground stayed full the 6 nights we stayed with sites opening each morning. It appeared most mornings all sites were gone by noon.
This is really helpful. I was wondering if it would be legit to just drive up with your car (without your full rig) to grab a site and block it off. That's what I'm hoping to do on the West side. I'm assuming most motorhomers without toad must have some way to show their sites are taken when they just head out for the day, so that people don't steal their sites.

Also must mean that a lot of campers leave the CGs pretty early (before the 11a checkout time) - was that your experience in the days you were at Many Glacier?
Old 04-21-2017, 02:27 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi Rider View Post
I live near GNP and was there several times last year. Always saw "Full" signs at the campgrounds. Park is gaining in popularity and has experienced a 10 percent increase in visitors each for the past three years. I'm sure you know there Is a KOA campground near both the east and west entrances of the park. Friends of mine stayed at private RV Parks at St. Mary and at East Glacier Park on one of my trips and were satisfied with both of the private RV spots. I now have a new Class C Forester and will be spending at lot more time in the park this year.
Yes to the Koa's -- East Glacier has a lot of availability for my dates. Still checking St Mary every day to see if there are any spots opening up but it doesn't look like people cancel often.

Less availability for the Koa in West Glacier, so I'm looking at some other private sites there. My plan is to book one, take the car to scope out Apgar early morning on my second day, and try to snag a site there. I really just want to be able to walk to the lake for photography reasons vs driving back and forth.
Old 04-21-2017, 03:31 PM   #25
Site Team

Many recommend Mountain Meadow RV Park, on the West side.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 04:22 PM   #26

dranch

Best chance of getting a site is at Many Glaciers Campground. We didn't have reservations in 2015 but got sites by getting there very early, before 9 a.m.
dmlranhc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 05:04 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Many recommend Mountain Meadow RV Park, on the West side.
Thanks -- I'll check this one out. Haven't seen it show up on google searches but I know there are hidden gems that don't show there.
Old 04-21-2017, 05:06 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlranhc View Post
Best chance of getting a site is at Many Glaciers Campground. We didn't have reservations in 2015 but got sites by getting there very early, before 9 a.m.
You were lucky -- I believe this is renowned for being one of the hardest places to find a CG because it's small and a large part is reservable (and has been fully booked for months already). I do love Many Glacier but will probably day trip from St Mary.
Old 04-21-2017, 07:53 PM   #29
Retired

We made a reservation for a week at St marys and then on the next to last day we were there we drove our Jeep over to Many Glacier and looked at the sites and looked at the peoples tags stating what day they were leaving. When we found one that was leaving the next day we looked to see if our rig would fit and then if the people were out we talked to them and explained our situation and asked about what time they were leaving. Then the next day we went over there early and kept an eye on that site and when they started to pull out we got that site and parked the Jeep there for awhile and filled out the paper work and put our tag on the post and then went back to St Marys and got our rig. Stayed two weeks at Glacier then went on down to the Tetons. Had a wonderful time.
tennlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 08:53 PM   #30
New TT Owner

Fish Creek on the west side is reservable.
Lovestogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 08:56 PM   #31
New TT Owner

Check out this page for more information

https://www.nps.gov/glac/planyourvisit/permitsandreservations.htm
Lovestogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 12:12 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennlady View Post
We made a reservation for a week at St marys and then on the next to last day we were there we drove our Jeep over to Many Glacier and looked at the sites and looked at the peoples tags stating what day they were leaving. When we found one that was leaving the next day we looked to see if our rig would fit and then if the people were out we talked to them and explained our situation and asked about what time they were leaving. Then the next day we went over there early and kept an eye on that site and when they started to pull out we got that site and parked the Jeep there for awhile and filled out the paper work and put our tag on the post and then went back to St Marys and got our rig. Stayed two weeks at Glacier then went on down to the Tetons. Had a wonderful time.
Good to hear that this is an ok thing to do. Figure I'll do the same on the West side with Apgar. Obviously much easier if you can just take the jeep and then go back for the rig later.

What do you do when you're there in the morning? Where do you wait and is there a line of other people waiting for sites? I'm trying to picture what it's like..

Tags
mpg