Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2018, 02:23 PM   #1
Grammar Pedant

Grand Canyon: Mather vs Trailer Village

I've searched here and other places and I'm not getting exactly what I want.

We are planning on staying in the Grand Canyon next July over the 4th. We will stay there 4 days and 5 nights.

I'm not a fan of private CGs and spend most of my time in forested USFS CGs. As such, the look, feel, and layout of Mather is much preferred to me. However, it doesn't have any amenities. And, I absolutely hate listening to all of these generators that are supposedly whisper quiet ... which would be present in large numbers to overcome the lack of power.

Trailer Village has electricity, so I could run A/C. I'd also have lights and other nice features (like watching a movie with the kids). Water and sewer are nice, but I generally don't use so much water that I'd fill my tanks in only 4 days. But, the layout is the rack'em and stack'em design with very limited space to sit around the campfire and such. Trees look limited to the perimeter. It looks like a parking lot to me.

I'm 90% convinced to go with Trailer Village so that I have conveniences of power, even if it means sacrificing scenery.

Anyone have any first-hand experience with both CGs? Thoughts?

Also, is there room at the Trailer Village sites to sit around and have a campfire?

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mather_vs_Village.JPG
Views:	114
Size:	373.3 KB
ID:	184901  

TV: 2019 F-350 Lariat 4WD CCSB 6.7 PSD 3.55, 3,591 lb payload
Former RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
Former RV: 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Former TV: 2005 F-150 King Ranch 4WD SCrew 5.4L Tow Package
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 02:41 PM   #2

We've only stayed at Trailer Village ourselves, on 2 occasions, and specifically because of the available hookups. I would recommend it for your trip because you may want to run your A/C at night during an Arizona summer. Also, I recall there was available cable TV hookup, which is a plus for us to catch some news or a ball game. Not sure about campfire restrictions. To us the biggest advantage of the trailer village location was that getting to the South Rim overlook was walkable, about ten minutes. if yo're not up to walking, the available free shuttle service comes through the camp (also Mather) and can get you to all of the points of interest along the south rim.
Have a great trip.
By the way, check out Sedona on your way in or out if you have some time. Beautiful scenery.
GilnJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 09:48 PM   #3
Certified Curmudgeon

This is an easy one. DeMotte is by far the best. A NFS park just outside the North Rim.
You will not regret missing the South Rim unless maybe you want to ride the GC Railroad.

Tags
trailer