Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2018, 10:51 AM   #1

Grand Tetons NP Camping

Headed to park in mid-September and wondering about preferred campground. Pulling 30 ft TT and okay with dry camping. Wondering about Colter Bay Campground (not the RV park) and Signal Mountain Campground. Have seen suggestions that Colter Bay has pretty small sites.

Suggestions?

thx!
Eph 2.10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 01:48 PM   #2
Site Team

Colter Bay Campground's campsites that we saw and stayed in, were big.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 02:00 PM   #3

There are plenty of sites at the Colter Bay Campground that can handle your rig.

I've never been to the Signal Mountain Campground so I can't help you with that one.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 02:36 PM   #4

Colter Bay Campground is pretty nice. They have many sites of various sizes and will assign you to a site that comfortably accommodates you. I've enjoyed camping there a couple of times. Bears, elk, humans and other animals might venture around your camp at night. ... Yes, humans too, recorded humans snooping in my camp on two occasions – so lock up your valuables at night. Colter Bay also has a large dump facility and there is a reasonably price gas station with diesel nearby. Colter Bay has many sites available without reservation, especially by mid-September, but you'll probably want to get in line early. It is short walk from any site to the bay (see picture). Mid-September night/early-morning temperatures might briefly touch the freezing point, but otherwise expect perfect weather and only small crowds. Just my opinion, I think your trip timing it perfect. Never stayed at Signal Mountain Campground so I can't speak about it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0959.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	376.6 KB
ID:	182195  
FollowTheSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 04:40 PM   #5

Cou!ter Bay is one of our favorite fall campgrounds. Gold aspen on the Tetons reflected in the lakes early mornings, moose wading along the shore of Jackson Lake, and elk congregating in the meadows--photo opportunities galore! You might even want to rent a canoe and paddle around for a morning. Just keep the elevation and season in mind when packing--it can snow early.

If you get up to West Yellowstone, watch for pairs of trumpeter swans in the Madison River.

"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2020 Winnebago Navion 24V Sprinter Class C
Sold in 2021: 2016 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8244WS 5th Wheel
Sold in 2014: 2012 Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S
fanrgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 04:01 PM   #6

I just read some king on note on GT park.. I believe it said food had to be stored in Bear Proof containers... might be worth checking out. We're passing through Teton on route to Yellowstone. Not staying at Teton...
thom125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 04:58 PM   #7

Teton

Just left Teton area. We stayed in Gros Ventre for six days and 14 days at Flagg Ranch. Loved both campgrounds!!
CYAH OUT THERE! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 06:09 PM   #8

I have reservations for mid September at Headquaters CG. This will be our first time to Teton and Yellowstone. Looking forward to that trip from Mid Michigan up through the UP and west from there.
markb422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 06:37 PM   #9

Hey markb422 - looks like we've similar plans. We're headed out from N MI on 9.1 with some intermediate stops before GT NP. Enjoy your trip!
Old 08-04-2018, 08:42 PM   #10

We are leaving 9/7 from Bay City area heading north over the bridge. Lake Gogebic SP near Ironwood first night out making the first day a long one but would much rather do that than going south through Gary.
Are you heading north
Old 08-04-2018, 08:58 PM   #11

Cottage near Frederic, headed out from there 9/1. First night in Bewabic to visit old friend then couple day haul to Custer SP in SD. Then Yellowstone followed by GT. Then on thru number of NP's in Utah and wrap-up at North Rim of Grand Canyon. So, we'll be blazing trail for you. Love the country out there.
Old 08-04-2018, 09:13 PM   #12

We stayed at Signal Mountain in 2014. We liked it a lot. We had a site with electricity. Our trailer is 31 ft. overall.
Goat Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 05:20 AM   #13

We stayed at colter bay last year and plenty of sites large enough for your rig. Also gros Ventra campground closer to Jackson was good as well.
Old_hippies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 08:06 AM   #14

Eph 2.10. Looks like we will be about a week behind you. We are doing I-94 west through Billings and into Yellowstone NP at Gardiner. Will do Devils Tower and Custer on the return. Taking I-90 east into Wisconsin then to Appleton and High Cliff SP. Then back through the UP to I-75.
Old 08-05-2018, 08:51 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eph 2.10 View Post
Cottage near Frederic, headed out from there 9/1. First night in Bewabic to visit old friend then couple day haul to Custer SP in SD. Then Yellowstone followed by GT. Then on thru number of NP's in Utah and wrap-up at North Rim of Grand Canyon. So, we'll be blazing trail for you. Love the country out there.

Couple of hints about the North Rim of the
Grand Canyon.

There is only on commercial RV park at Jacobs Lake. It's ok but nothing fancy. People are stingy with their water up there so if you are going to boondock fill your tanks before you get to Jacobs Lake. PM me if you want a hint for a good boondock site.
The North Rim is great, no crowds and great scenery. The meals at the Lodge are reasonable also.
Blackrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 09:25 AM   #16

Grand Teton camping

This past May we spent several days at the Gros Ventre Campground, off Hwy 26 between the park and Jackson Hole giving easy access to both. We liked the rustic setting. Some sites had electricity, some not. Saw Bison and elk nearby and signs of a badger.
dav7158 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 04:15 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
There are plenty of sites at the Colter Bay Campground that can handle your rig.

I've never been to the Signal Mountain Campground so I can't help you with that one.
How about 40' + at Colter Bay Campground
OKI Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 07:46 PM   #18

Went to Jackson lake last year-loved it

Jackson lake was a back up to a back up plan in August 2017 on our first trip to the Grand Tetons. We wanted to be closer to Jackson hole for our snake river white water rafting trip. All I can say is I could leave tonight to go back! We were sooo lucky to stay here. We did a western states national parks camping trip, and this was our favorite stop. The lake is great the views are spectacular and the camping is tranquil. Bring water socks for stepping through the rocks on the lake shore, and enjoy the crystal clear cool water with the Tetons in the background!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D473D6E6-BE6D-4677-9BDC-3E88FCAE0726.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	504.7 KB
ID:	184002   Click image for larger version

Name:	6B61E36E-3B9C-41CB-B901-95CCE71EC158.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	270.9 KB
ID:	184003  
Beachbourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 08:47 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbourbon View Post
Jackson lake was a back up to a back up plan in August 2017 on our first trip to the Grand Tetons. We wanted to be closer to Jackson hole for our snake river white water rafting trip. All I can say is I could leave tonight to go back! We were sooo lucky to stay here. We did a western states national parks camping trip, and this was our favorite stop. The lake is great the views are spectacular and the camping is tranquil. Bring water socks for stepping through the rocks on the lake shore, and enjoy the crystal clear cool water with the Tetons in the background!
Looks awesome. I seriously would like to go there. Seen some of the camping and it looks primitive. Are there places to pull in with a 40 foot + 5th wheel?
OKI Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 11:36 PM   #20

Large trailers

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKI Marine View Post
Looks awesome. I seriously would like to go there. Seen some of the camping and it looks primitive. Are there places to pull in with a 40 foot + 5th wheel?
When we were in line for a campsite, there were large rigs in line too, si I think they can accommodate. We were in the tent camping section, but saw some small trailers there too.
Beachbourbon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping