Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2016, 01:25 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanrgs View Post
Have you towed up the eastbound I-70 grade from Silverthorne, CO to the Eisenhower Tunnel through the Continental Divide? That 12 miles of constant 6% grade is a real test of TV capability. Since the tunnel was completed in 1973, we have seen innumerable RVs and trucks parked on the shoulder with hoods up and steam pouring out of their radiators.

Plus the multiple runaway truck ramps on the downhill side of that stretch of I-70 don't lend a lot of comfort to keeping your RV in the right lane when headed west either!

I think that must have been the grade that truck manufacturers used to design their exhaust brake systems to handle. If they can safely handle that grade and maybe the westbound, downhill section of US 160 over Wolf Creek Pass, they can handle anything. In the 1970's, there was even a trucker's song about that Wolf Creek Pass grade!
My 1st trip over Wolf Creek Pass was in 1984 towing a 28' TT in a snow storm. Watching the plows (actually graders) pushing snow off the mountain as there was no place to put it was a little nerve racking. I did not know about the song until I returned to PA and a friend had it on an 8 track tape. Dated ~ right? In the song the Pass was described as "38 miles of Hell". After descending I recall how happy I was to have purchased a new Ramcharger 4X4 as prior I was towing with the family sedan.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 10:29 PM   #22
"All in Good Time"

Went to the Castello di Amorosa today and it was an awesome tour & wine tasting. Wife said we don't have to see any more wineries because they can't compare. Thanks for your recommendations, saved us from aimless wandering in a new place. We plane to check out your other recommendations. Thanks again, really appreciate your help

Vince & Ulli

2016 Wildcat 327CK
2014 Ram 2500 Mega Cab 6.7 CTD 4x4
vnichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 10:33 PM   #23
"All in Good Time"

This post is to Bikendan.

Vince & Ulli

2016 Wildcat 327CK
2014 Ram 2500 Mega Cab 6.7 CTD 4x4
vnichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 12:47 AM   #24
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnichols View Post
Went to the Castello di Amorosa today and it was an awesome tour & wine tasting. Wife said we don't have to see any more wineries because they can't compare. Thanks for your recommendations, saved us from aimless wandering in a new place. We plane to check out your other recommendations. Thanks again, really appreciate your help
Glad you had a good time.
The wife will be happy to hear that.
It was her favorite job of all time, as a tour guide there.
She really misses it there.
She was the foster auntie to the young people from all over the world, that worked there.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote