Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-15-2020, 06:23 PM   #1

Greer AZ

We camped near Big Lake up in the mountains last year (Rainbow) and loved it. We are looking for something that direction but maybe a little closer. Pinetop/Lakeside, Greer??? Anyone been to Rolf Hoyer?
It looks like a popular one Fool Hollow is nearly booked up for June already. Yikes time to get on it
rangerjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 03:10 PM   #2

After Rainbow cg at big lake all the rest are lacking. Fools Hollow and Show Low lake campgrounds attract a lot of transients and homeless types. All the rest of the FS campgounds on the Rim are pretty much just spots with no water, power or sewer.
Several of my friends have recommended Canyon Point cg. Also there are campgrounds at Willoow Lake and Woods Canyon.
Blackrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 10:45 PM   #3

Thanks Blackrock. We didn't care that much for Canyon Point but liked Aspen. It's roomy and close to the lake. Thanks for the heads up on Fool Hollow...I was wondering about it. Loved Chiricahua but it's a long drive as was Rainbow. We were new to AZ and did our trip to WHite mountains in monsoon season...wowee that was an eye opener
rangerjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 08:03 AM   #4

there are a couple of full hook up private campgrounds up on the rim near happy jack. i believe is called sunset rv but i may be wrong and i can't remember the name of the other. there are also quite a few forest service campgrounds along az-87 up on the rim or along lake mary road. also some near mormon lake (but the use of lake in this instance may be a misnomer). finally there are a few along lake mary road just south of flagstaff.
Old 01-17-2020, 09:55 AM   #5

Hoyer is a nice campground. But it is typical USFS....no hook ups. It was recently updated and has nice shower facilities and a new RV dump station. There are a few sites at Big Lake with hook ups in the new campground (Apache Trout).
AZ Pete is offline   Reply With Quote