Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2017, 08:02 PM   #1

Half Moon Bay / Pescadero Campground Recs

I want to hop over the hill to Half Moon Bay / Pescadero area in California for my maiden voyage in my Sunseeker (AKA Beast)

Any recommendations for campsites there? I was looking at Costanoa but it's had some bad reviews lately, so thought I'd expand my options.
alexisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 08:06 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexisc View Post
I want to hop over the hill to Half Moon Bay / Pescadero area in California for my maiden voyage in my Sunseeker (AKA Beast)

Any recommendations for campsites there? I was looking at Costanoa but it's had some bad reviews lately, so thought I'd expand my options.
Costanoa is very nice but also very expensive. There is a very nice one not to far away but I will have to do some research to share the name with you. I'll try to get back soon to post it for you.
Old 04-11-2017, 08:09 PM   #3

Subs
Aztec1382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 08:51 PM   #4

Okay, I found it. Looking at reviews I see some people hate it but most love it.

Smithwoods RV Park

We drove to it while staying at Costanoa and thought it was very nice. The hosts were very friendly and invited us to take our time checking it out. They do recommend how to get there, which is wise to pay attention to when pulling a trailer because your GPS will likely take you in on a very narrow and "white knuckle" road. We went in following the GPS but took the road they suggested out from there and could clearly understand their reason for taking the route they suggest.

Anyway, it would be one to consider, they didn't post the rates on there website. It says to "call for current rates".

From Martinez it is about a two hour drive. Remember it is just a suggestion for you. Don't hate me if you don't like it. Either way if you do stay, let us know how you like it.
Old 04-12-2017, 01:22 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexisc View Post

The state campground at half Moon Bay is very nice for our purposes and we have stayed there twice. Great system of hiking and biking up and down the area.

And hey wife has a state park handicap pass that gets us half price, year round. The private parks don't do that.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 01:35 PM   #6

Santa Cruz Redwood RV Resort

Santa Cruz Redwoods RV Resort in Felton, CA 95018

My husband and I stay 2 weeks every 5 or 6 months. Great park with great managers, Paula and Jay. Very clean and well maintained RV park. Located on Hwy 9 but do not take your RV on 9 from Santa Cruz to the park. It is very narrow with many sharp curves.
lindalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 01:52 PM   #7

I agree with the above about the Half Moon Bay SB campground. Very nice, sites, electric at most, water available, and has dump station. Showers and baths aren't bad and the biking and hiking is very nice.

m
hybridlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 03:08 PM   #8

I'm from Redwood City. If the beach is not a requirement, I highly recommend Mt. Madonna County Park. Has water & electric at RV site and dump station within the campground. Clean park with good hiking trails. On HWY 152 East. Takes us about 1.25hrs to get there from RWC.
Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 03:42 PM   #9

Be advised the the road to Mt. Madonna, from either side, is narrow and twisty. I have pulled my 33' fifth wheel up there and it was okay, but not for the faint of heart. The park is wonderful.

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 05:34 PM   #10

I somewhat agree with 5er Tom. HWY 152 (Hecker Pass Road) is a little twisty when you start the climb with one good haripin. The real bugger is the entrance road. The entrance sign is right before the right hand turn into the park which is almost a "U" turn. I have a 22' TT and do it with no problem, daughter has a 28' 5er and no problem with them either. My only concern with Half Moon Bay State Beach is if it gets windy, sand all over. l would not go to Coastanoa, too pricey and spaces too close together. Enjoy wherever you go. For us locals, when you get back from wherever, let us know where you went and how your "Beast" handled it's maiden voyage.
Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 07:18 AM   #11

I forgot about the STEEP hill once you turn into the park. Must be a 15-18% grade. A real pull to get up and then fun to come down. But again, it is a great place to spend several nights.

Old 04-13-2017, 09:51 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom48 View Post
The state campground at half Moon Bay is very nice for our purposes and we have stayed there twice. Great system of hiking and biking up and down the area.

And hey wife has a state park handicap pass that gets us half price, year round. The private parks don't do that.
Do you know if they're pet friendly? I know the Pescadero state parks are mostly not dog friendly. Not sure about HMB.
Old 04-13-2017, 09:56 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
I somewhat agree with 5er Tom. HWY 152 (Hecker Pass Road) is a little twisty when you start the climb with one good haripin. The real bugger is the entrance road. The entrance sign is right before the right hand turn into the park which is almost a "U" turn. I have a 22' TT and do it with no problem, daughter has a 28' 5er and no problem with them either. My only concern with Half Moon Bay State Beach is if it gets windy, sand all over. l would not go to Coastanoa, too pricey and spaces too close together. Enjoy wherever you go. For us locals, when you get back from wherever, let us know where you went and how your "Beast" handled it's maiden voyage.
Fellow RWC'er here Beast is a 24ft motorhome, so should be ok on the twist steep roads... although not sure I'd want to attempt that for my maiden voyage Perhaps I'll do that for my second trip.
Old 04-13-2017, 10:05 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom48 View Post

Looks like they're all full on weekends for the next few weeks.
Old 04-13-2017, 10:07 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindalee View Post
Santa Cruz Redwoods RV Resort in Felton, CA 95018

My husband and I stay 2 weeks every 5 or 6 months. Great park with great managers, Paula and Jay. Very clean and well maintained RV park. Located on Hwy 9 but do not take your RV on 9 from Santa Cruz to the park. It is very narrow with many sharp curves.
I also really dislike Hwy 17 though... even in my Jeep I grit my teeth. The thought of driving my RV up there is petrifying
Old 04-13-2017, 08:25 PM   #16

Has anyone been to Pelican Point RV Park? Looks like it has bad reviews from the past but most recent reviews look good. Seems like it might be a good spot for just a one-nighter.
Old 05-07-2017, 06:35 PM   #17

UPDATE: Well I ended up doing a couple of 1-night trips to a local Trailer Park in Redwood City. Pretty much a parking lot on the Bay but it was really perfect (and only 1 mile from my storage unit + 3 miles from home) for a couple of test runs. Expensive for what it was but if anyone is looking for an easy test run in the area, Trailer Villa is a good option. The 'new' section is updated, much nicer, and has pretty good views. Very expensive for what it is but then everything here is expensive for what it is.

Then I headed out to Livermore for a couple of nights to Del Valle Lake. Really beautiful spot in the Valley with full hook-up sites. The sites were great and very spaced out, include big picnic tables and giant fire pits. They have a little camp store there, and there is another store down by the Marina. The sites is all grass and trees. Very pretty and peaceful. Nice walks through the campground and down by the river. No cell service, but that was actually quite pleasant because I could really disconnect. Highly recommended. I was in site 7 on the upper loop. Site 1 had the best views, so I'd try and get that spot next time.
Old 05-08-2017, 06:59 AM   #18

We have family in Redwood City so have spent a few night at Trailer Villa. As stated, it is not much more than a large asphalt parking lot with FHU's. And expensive, but about the only RV park option within miles.

Tags
mpg