Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2015, 08:59 PM   #41

Was out that way last year. We spent just as much time there as did at Mt. Rushmore. It is great we got to see a night blasting / lazar show. so much history to learn about n see. also took a bus tour to both driver told us to get a post card and send it to our self so grand kids could find it in 20-30 years or so and look it up to see the progress. they say they will be carving/ blasting for 80-100 years yet. great place
Dale Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 05:52 PM   #42
Do It Yourselfer

We visited all the sites in the Black Hills last summer and my favorite stops were at the Crazy Horse Monument and the Little Bighorn. So much history. If you looked at the Crazy Horse Monument as just a carving of a hill, you miss out on the 'big picture'. I enjoyed it more then Mt Rushmore. Maybe because I already knew the story. But the Indian side of our history is just as important!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
It's Easy to take 'Liberty' for granted, When you have never had it taken from You!
wuffwuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 09:01 PM   #43

Make sure to put Custer Park on your list. Crazy Horse from the road will do. Rushmore night show is very good. They honor all service men -those who served and those that are serving now. A special tribute !! Wall Drug worth 1/2 day and the Badlands another 1/2 day.

Russell
CAT-RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 10:16 PM   #44
GeezerPete

Absolutely, Yes and Affirmative.
Oldtimer1029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 07:38 AM   #45

Go for it

Crazy Horse isn't finished, however much of it is finished and it's beautiful seeing it come together and being a part of the history of the making. We didn't get to see Mt. Rushmore in the making.
Crazy Horse isn't done with tax payer money, so we go there every time we're out there and make our donations (whether buying a rock and bringing it home, or just making a small donation to help them finish.)
It's nice just to see history in the making and help it along by being a part of it.
lindalees818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 10:58 AM   #46

I really disagree on the"pass Crazy Horse". The Indian side of our western heritage is very important to learn about. The museums at Crazy horse are really pretty neat to see.We were first there in 1977 and again 2013.You could see the progress.Slow,yes but they don't take Government funding.To me it's worth the stop and few bucks it costs.Go,contribute and make your own decision.If you have the time,when you leave Yellowstone go north into Montana and take in the Little Bighorn National Park and Cemetary.Take the Indian tour of the battle ground.Much to learn there too.Take a slow stroll through the cemetary and look at the dates on the stones there.My opinion and worth what it cost you.
DaveandSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 12:13 AM   #47

Yes, yes, yes on Crazy Horse

I have been going to the Sturgis Bike Rally for 20 years. Crazy Horse is one place I go every year. They have a wonderful museum, an excellent movie, and reasonably priced souvenirs, snacks and food. The light show at night is not to be missed. They have refused government grants to help finish it. The reason I have been given was they want it to be finished without government help to preserve the integrity of the heritage of the monument. It is important to the Indians to do this without influence from the government One of the reasons it is taking so long is the size. Mount Rushmore would fit in the face of Crazy Horse. When you see the movie you will see how much rock has been removed so far. As far as riding the gravy train, that is nonsense. Using that logic now that Mount Rushmore is finished no one would come to see it any more. When Crazy Horse is finished tourism will increase, not decrease. There are a lot of wonderful things to see in that area and I would put Crazy Horse at the top of that list.
bobneal69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 07:27 AM   #48

Don't miss Crazy Horse. We enjoyed it more than Rushmore

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Ddubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 07:44 AM   #49
Mod free 5er

Don't miss Crazy Horse, I met the man, his wife and some of his children in 1964. My dad and I actually climbed up on the arm that day, up the steps he built by himself. It is a monumental undertaking done only with private donations and no government intervention or money. His children have taken over the task of finishing it since their father died. Spend the money, donate and enjoy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Neil & Korczak Ziolkowski -Aug1964.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	248.7 KB
ID:	87127  
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 08:28 AM   #50

Don't waste your time
conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 08:34 AM   #51
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by conrad View Post
Don't waste your time
Based on what?
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 07:12 AM   #52
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Quote:
Originally Posted by conrad View Post
Don't waste your time
You sir, should of paid attention in History class, and I bet when you tow something, you don't even know it's there.
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 05:47 PM   #53
Vietnam Veteran

It IS worth your time, won't be done in your lifetime tho.
Littlebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 06:11 PM   #54
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
It's worth your time.
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 03:00 PM   #55

I was there in July and found it more interesting than Mt Rushmore
Rgsa8892 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 05:44 PM   #56

It is worth your time and the museum/store is well worth a look see.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
dj3spots is offline   Reply With Quote