Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-16-2020, 12:17 AM   #1
KSH

Heading to grand canyon!

Looks like there will be a few days of snow. I've never camped in the snow. We have full hookups, anything special I should do or make sure I have with me?
Figured I'd fill the propane tanks before heading up. Anything else?
KSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 08:12 AM   #2

it says we will get some snow here later this week and a night or two down below freezing. the grand canyon is higher so i would expect the lows to be lower. however i just looked and the lowest low i saw in the next week was only 34 degrees. but weather does change. look at the forecast daily and adapt. it doesn't look like a deep or prolonged period of freezing. the most exposed item would be the fresh water hose. fill your fresh water tank and use it during the night. disconnect and drain your fresh water hose.
Old 03-16-2020, 07:56 PM   #3

Bring a backup heat source. Since you only mentioned filling your propane tanks...

If you search the forum, lots of reports of furnaces deciding to go on strike. Happened to me on a night that went to -15F. Heated mattress pad was also good to have that night. A couple of electric heaters running at 900 watts and the mattress pad got us a good night sleep. Amazingly, the next night the furnace was back in business. Never did figure out what the problem was.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 08:11 PM   #4
KSH

Thanks, we have 2 small.electric heaters, fireplace, electric blanket. With getting a heated water hose or not really?
Old 03-16-2020, 08:16 PM   #5

Heading to grand canyon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSH View Post
Looks like there will be a few days of snow. I've never camped in the snow. We have full hookups, anything special I should do or make sure I have with me?

I returned from the Grand Canyon last month. As others have mentioned, a second heat source is a good idea. I ran our electric fireplace most of the time. I did have issues with my fresh water hose freezing. Luckily, I had a full water tank and tank heaters. I am looking at a heated water hose from Amazon FreezeFreeHose Heated Water Hose https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NSJ81SS..._3kcCEb4ADP36E for future cold weather trips.
We had a great trip and would highly recommend it.
Fireman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 09:12 PM   #6

I would skip the heated hose and instead buy some heat tape, pipe insulation, and pipe wrap.

Should last longer and a fraction of the price.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 01:37 PM   #7

See this post. GC may be closed, at least call before you go:

Press Announcement:
National Park Service is Modifying Operations to Implement Latest Health Guidance
WASHINGTON - The National Park Service (NPS) is taking extraordinary steps to implement the latest guidance from the White House, Centers for Disease Control & Prevention (CDC), and local and state authorities to promote social distancing. The NPS is modifying operations, until further notice, for facilities and programs that cannot adhere to this guidance. Where it is possible to adhere to this guidance, outdoor spaces will remain open to the public.

“The health and safety of our visitors, employees, volunteers, and partners is the priority of the National Park Service,” Secretary of the Interior David Bernhardt said. “Park superintendents are empowered to modify their operations, including closing facilities and cancelling programs, to address the spread of the coronavirus.”

“The NPS is working with federal, state, and local authorities, while we as a nation respond to this public health challenge,” NPS Deputy Director David Vela said. “Park superintendents are assessing their operations now to determine how best to protect the people and their parks going forward.”

The NPS urges visitors to do their part when visiting a park and to follow CDC guidance to prevent the spread of infectious diseases by maintaining a safe distance between yourself and other groups; washing your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds; avoiding touching your eyes, nose, and mouth; covering your mouth and nose when you cough or sneeze; and most importantly, staying home if you feel sick.

For high-risk populations, such as the elderly and people with underlying conditions, we ask that they take extra caution and follow CDC guidance for those at higher risk of serious illness.

Updates about the NPS response to the coronavirus will be posted on www.nps.gov/coronavirus. Please check with individual parks for specific details about park operations.
medalguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 01:59 PM   #8

Using water miser to heat the fresh water tank

One useful function of the water miser (re-circulates the hot water back to the fresh water tank rather than letting the water go to the grey tank) is that one can run the hot water in the shower with the miser in the recirculating position, thus adding heat to the fresh water tank. I guess I would advise having to have flushed your water heater prior to the trip.

I would bet there are probably some cons I didn't think of.
cyclenate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 02:25 PM   #9

Just when you need it most

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam20500 View Post
Bring a backup heat source. Since you only mentioned filling your propane tanks...

If you search the forum, lots of reports of furnaces deciding to go on strike. Happened to me on a night that went to -15F. Heated mattress pad was also good to have that night. A couple of electric heaters running at 900 watts and the mattress pad got us a good night sleep. Amazingly, the next night the furnace was back in business. Never did figure out what the problem was.
The problem was low propane pressure at the cold temperature.

Propane liquifies at -45F. At that point you could pour it from a cup. But even at temperatures above that, the pressure in a closed vessel (expansion) is temperature-dependent. Even my gas grill has a noticeably lower flame at +32F than +70F.

Here's a picture of the expansion factor.
Attached Images

"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 03:17 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSH View Post
We have a 2019 Forester and are newbies. We went to the south rim in early Feb. and it was one of the highlights of our trip. The water line to the water pump froze and thankfully it thawed with no damage. The water pump is under the shower and behind an access panel with no opening for warm air to get to that area. I took the panel off, cut a hole in it and screwed a vent on it. Now warm air can to that area.
clanthon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 03:33 PM   #11

Cold camping

I would check w/ campground and insure full hook-ups are still in operation. Sounds like national parks are offering basic service only in some parks.
We use a Big Buddy heater to warm our TT along w/ 2 of the Amazon cube heaters. Big Buddy if boon docking or to heat up fast. The Amazon cube heaters are 500 watts. We put them on 2 different circuits. They are around $18 each and about 8" X 8". They have the auto-off if tiped feature. Small enough to put in a cabinet when not used. We put one at each end of the TT and it takes a load off propane use. They have been very durable small radiant heaters. We have a 1500 watt heater tower, but was tripping breaker when we turned anything else on that circuit if turned on high. Too big and hard to store.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 10:12 PM   #12

I spend the winter in an area where we get some pretty cold nights - teens and 20's, on up. The last 3 winters I've done all the fiddling around, running water, insulation, etc. and to me it was a PITA....so for this winter I bought a heated water hose (not the same brand you mentioned, but from Amazon). What a relief! No more worry, it works great, has a thermostat that turns it on at 37 degrees. Much less 'stuff' to pack away when I travel. Also, even though the weather sites might predict 33 degrees, it depends on where you are and where they get the readings. It might hold tight at 27 degrees all night - now I don't have to even think about it. In my case, very worth the $$.
OldGal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 09:03 AM   #13

I live in Flagstaff and we are forecasted to get a medium size winter storm, Total snowfall predicted to be 7 to 10 inches today.
You don’t want to be driving in the area today or tomorrow if pulling a trailer. Snow plows do a great job around here, things should be good on Friday.
BikeFlagAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 12:10 AM   #14
KSH

Been here since Tuesday! Loving the snow.Click image for larger version

Name:	20200318_172557.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	170.5 KB
ID:	225442