Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2015, 09:19 PM   #1

Help on route in wyoming and Montana - to get to Garndier, montana

Hello everyone! Trip planning is exciting to me, so my husband lets me do it all.

I'd like some advise on this route I am considering- we are leaving Louisiana on July 14 to go to Yellowstone and Grand Teton, second time driving to Yellowstone, but we stayed inside Yellowstone and that First time was about 17 years ago. The route I am considering is Dallas - Amarillo- Denver - Cheyenne - up on 87.

Our campground is in Gardnier, Montana for 7 days. What is the best route from the Sheridan area to Gardnier with a 37 foot Georgetown motor home towing a pick up truck? That is my scary spot as I an confident about the drive till then. Would it be better to stay on interstate 90 to Billings and Livingston then down on 89 to Gardnier? We plan on driving the bear tooth hwy, but I don't know it's a place for a motorhome.

Any advice would be appreciated!
Puglover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 07:24 PM   #2

I-94 to Livingston and 89 south to Gardner is your best route. Take your truck out for the cruise over the Beartooth Hiway. I used to do a Sunday drive out of Billings via Red Lodge, over the Beartooth, lunch in Cooke City then on out through Gardner back to Billings.
People do put some big RVs over the Beartooth but It's easier with a smaller ride. You could go from Gardiner thru Cooke City and just drive up on top and to the Rock Creek lookout and be happy.
Leave real early in the morning and you might see more wildlife thru the Lamar valley going up to Cook City for breakfast.
Blackrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 10:31 PM   #3

The drive on 89 between Livingston and Gardiner was just as good as cruising the park. We saw tons of elk and antelope on that road.

We came up with our first sons name while we were in Gardiner. We went dinner at the lounge inside the Best Western hotel. While we were eating, there was this drunk girl at the bar talking about how she passed out drunk one night, and nine months later her son, Grayson, was born. She didn't even know how she got pregnant. My wife and I looked at each other and I said, "well that was a f*****d up story, but I like the name." We both laughed and decided that was going to be our sons name. Lol!

Sorry for the off topic story, I just saw the thread title had Gardiner and it made me think of it.
Tonkatoy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 10:09 AM   #4

Thanks for the info Blackrock and Tonkatoy! I wrote the suggestions down and am very eager to look them up!

PS nice name story. Maybe not "her" story but your story! I named my son after a character that I'm not proud to admit to, but I loved the name! 😃

Again, info much appreciated
Old 06-03-2015, 11:53 AM   #5

we are camp hosts at the KOA Campground in Red Lodge MT. Right at the base of Beartooth Mtn. RV's are not recommended on Beartooth. The pass has been open and closed several times so far this spring. There are many hairpin curves. 30' would e pushing it as far as a comfort level .....I personally drove truck for many years and NO WAY would I attempt it.........
Come stay with us in Red Lodge and just take your truck over the pass so you can enjoy the trip. Approx. 60 miles Red Lodge to Cooke City over the pass, driving time 2/12 to 3 hrs. driving time (a clue as to how winding the road is and how slow you will be going)
2012 40' Sanibel
Speed limit 65 , Fords & Chevys , do your best
47chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 02:15 PM   #6

A little off topic again. ..but had the best steak oscar I ever ate at the Best Western in Gardiner. However, my 2 cents...take 89 down and enjoy the pass in a small vehicle.
2012 HD Ultra Classic
MN John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 02:31 PM   #7

I can't speak to your specific question but a suggestion if I may on part of your route;

We live outside of Fort Worth and towed our TT to Saratoga Wyoming on vacation last summer. On the way up we went to Amarillo then to Dumas and went WNW to Raton and stayed at a RV Park right at the Colorado border called Cedar Rail it was a wonderful place and the mountain view of NM was spectacular, would highly recommend this place. That puts you on I-25 all the way into Wyoming.

On the way home we took 287 out of Denver and really wish we hadn't. From Limon, Co all the way back into Texas the roads were rough and the little piece of 287 in the Oklahoma panhandle was like on old country road which hadn't been maintained in years.

We also had some other friends who went north out of DFW on 35 to Salina then west into Denver, they said it was very good.
DKRITTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 08:36 PM   #8

Thanks for the extra news! I'll look at the map and get ideas!
Old 06-04-2015, 08:38 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47chevy View Post
we are camp hosts at the KOA Campground in Red Lodge MT. Right at the base of Beartooth Mtn. RV's are not recommended on Beartooth. The pass has been open and closed several times so far this spring. There are many hairpin curves. 30' would e pushing it as far as a comfort level .....I personally drove truck for many years and NO WAY would I attempt it.........
Come stay with us in Red Lodge and just take your truck over the pass so you can enjoy the trip. Approx. 60 miles Red Lodge to Cooke City over the pass, driving time 2/12 to 3 hrs. driving time (a clue as to how winding the road is and how slow you will be going)

Camp hosting is something we would like when hubby retires! That's what we r scooping out on this trip - areas we would love to stay for a while. How long do you stay at the KOA?
Old 06-04-2015, 08:54 PM   #10

Help on route in wyoming and Montana - to get to Garndier, montana

DK Ritter - This is similar to the route I have chosen so it confirms my choice - Amarillo to dal hart to Trinidad with possibly sleeping around Trinidad. Thanks for the campground suggestion - looking it up now!

So many places to see - too little time and money to do it. 😞
Old 06-04-2015, 08:59 PM   #11

Also on the way back, we r heading to Tulsa to visit relatives. The plan here was lemon to Salina then catch up with I - 75 because it's along our stop for the relatives
Old 06-04-2015, 09:00 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN John View Post
A little off topic again. ..but had the best steak oscar I ever ate at the Best Western in Gardiner. However, my 2 cents...take 89 down and enjoy the pass in a small vehicle.

Thanks for the steak tip! 😉
Old 06-04-2015, 09:23 PM   #13

Just FYI for anyone traveling thru the Raton-Trinidad area there are several campgrounds at the NRA Whitington Center just a little south of Raton. Nice and quite and wake up to deer on your doorstep.
http://www.nrawc.org/explore/campinghousing/
Blackrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 11:11 PM   #14

we stay here at Red Lodge 6 months , but that is by choice , you can accept shorter times , just depends on the campground , location and if you like it or not
2012 40' Sanibel
Speed limit 65 , Fords & Chevys , do your best
47chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 09:37 PM   #15

Thanks for the link, black rock! We will consider it!
Old 06-12-2015, 09:38 PM   #16

47 Chevy, I hope to go there one day!