Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2015, 01:36 PM   #1

High Altitude CG's

Anyone have a favorite CG above 9000 ft in the Western US? Looking for someplace different for this summer. Seems like where ever I go that is normally quite cool, it winds up being hotter than hell.

I'm quite familiar with all the Western states, but I can always use extra advice from someone whom has stumbled on a real gem.

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 01:50 PM   #2

Hi,

Take a look at the Forest Service campgrounds in and around Leadville, CO. Turquoise Lake is our favorite at about 10k feet, but there are many others, depending on the size of your rig and whether you need hookups or not.

Hope this helps.

Rich Phillips
richp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 05:50 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by richp View Post
Hi,

Take a look at the Forest Service campgrounds in and around Leadville, CO. Turquoise Lake is our favorite at about 10k feet, but there are many others, depending on the size of your rig and whether you need hookups or not.

Hope this helps.

Rich Phillips
Thanks..... Leadville is on our list. Also looking at Silverton at around 9300 feet.

Tough to find, but looking for commercial park with monthly rates. This time of year, many will only rent by the night.

Boowho??
Old 06-25-2015, 10:49 PM   #4

For really high altitude commercial campgrounds in the San Juans we have Silverton Lakes and Molas Lakes. Silverton Lakes web page does mention monthly reservations but you'll have to check Molas to see if they do as well.

While the daytime temps do climb they drop as soon as the sun sets. We camped just outside Silverton last weekend and had daytime temps in the 80's but quickly dropped down into the 40's at night.

2017 Ford F150 w/ 3.5 EB
2014 Coachmen Viking 17FQ

Colorful Colorado
La Plata View is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 12:23 AM   #5

While not quite 9000 foot elevation, Angel Fire New Mexico stays pleasant during summer months. It's at 8500 feet. Mesa Verde park has mo they rates. It's small, has full hookups and great views. Plan on 30 amp only, but since you don't need ac, that should be no problem. It's not a resort (no pool, etc) but is a great base for exploring northern New Mexico. Taos and the Taos Pueblo are nearby along with other good sites to visit.
Allzright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 10:23 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Plata View View Post
For really high altitude commercial campgrounds in the San Juans we have Silverton Lakes and Molas Lakes. Silverton Lakes web page does mention monthly reservations but you'll have to check Molas to see if they do as well.

While the daytime temps do climb they drop as soon as the sun sets. We camped just outside Silverton last weekend and had daytime temps in the 80's but quickly dropped down into the 40's at night.

Yeas, I've been past the Molas CG many times going over that pass.... I'll check though, since I didn't think they had any sites with hook-ups.

And yes the temps do drop at night.... LIKE A ROCK!! I had a sticks-and-bricks home at 7000 about 60 miles south of Colorado Springs. Could be 90 at 4:00 PM and by mid-night down in the low-50's and you'd be scrambling for covers!!

I LOVEZZZ Colorado, don't you???

Boowho??
Old 06-26-2015, 10:25 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allzright View Post
While not quite 9000 foot elevation, Angel Fire New Mexico stays pleasant during summer months. It's at 8500 feet. Mesa Verde park has mo they rates. It's small, has full hookups and great views. Plan on 30 amp only, but since you don't need ac, that should be no problem. It's not a resort (no pool, etc) but is a great base for exploring northern New Mexico. Taos and the Taos Pueblo are nearby along with other good sites to visit.
Thanks... will check it out.

Boowho??
Old 06-28-2015, 04:15 PM   #8

Had to give up on the high altitude..... None available for the rest of the summer; at least those that will rent month to month.

Have found what looks like a nice place at Thayne, WY. Not so far removed from Jackson Hole.

Two years ago (summer 2013) you could find almost any campsite for any length of time, simply by pulling in at the end of a day.

This year, not so much.... CG's are JAMMED with weekenders and "two weekers". Good for the CG owners, not so good for ME (being a full timer, I sorta consider myself a "professional" camper).

Here at Yosemite (been here almost 3 weeks) it's incredibly busy.... You can easily get run over by "I'm in a GD hurry" drivers as they race from destination to destination within the park and also on CA 41 coming up from Fresno.

Then there's the feeling of being in a foreign country since those speaking English are in an absolute minority. Don't get me wrong..... I love all peoples, but after awhile of them being all over the place, it gets a little tedious...

Did at least manage to get to Glacier Point and see the stunning view of Halfdome and then down to the valley itself to see El Capitan.

But leaving in the morning and can't wait to see this area in my rear view mirror. Gotta make a mental note to NEVER travel in June, July or August again.

Rant done, now......

Boowho??
Old 07-15-2015, 10:54 AM   #9

Boohoo- Paulie Boy and I were just thinking of adding in a few days at Yosemite on our way down to Long Beach. We're heading to Spokane today. Anyway, after reading your post, we may skip it and save it for a later time. No pressing need to do it now. Would you recommend we avoid it?
Bunci
Bunci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 02:15 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunci View Post
Boohoo- Paulie Boy and I were just thinking of adding in a few days at Yosemite on our way down to Long Beach. We're heading to Spokane today. Anyway, after reading your post, we may skip it and save it for a later time. No pressing need to do it now. Would you recommend we avoid it?
Bunci

Guys, you will have to decide for yourselves..... I will tell you that *I* don't handle crowds very well and have a low tolerance for "high stress" environments/situations.

Once you enter the park from the Fresno (CA41), you still have a 30 mile drive to either Glacier Point or Yosemite valley itself. Along those roads you are completely enclosed by trees; not much to see except those trees.

As I said in my previous post, the road is high traffic and almost continuous curves; would be wonderful for those guys that ride "crotch rockets" and love to push the envelope.

The other thing is that the fire danger is EXTREME in that area right now.

However, I'm glad I got to see it..... Pretty much the last of the NP's that I wanted to visit in my lifetime. The view from Glacier Point is one of the very best I've ever seen; it's stunning. I'd say if you've never been there, then do it; if you've been there before, I'd pass.

I WILL go back, but never in June, July or August.

I'd say for me, Yosemite is my third favorite; right behind Zion (in Utah) and all the parks/BLM campgrounds in and around Moab, UT. I've told my DW to throw my ashes off of Fisher Towers, near Moab.

Boowho??
Old 07-15-2015, 05:30 PM   #11

For the ashes, try driving up the Top of the World trail and the ashes can be sprinkled down onto the Fisher Towers...

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 05:48 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5moab View Post
For the ashes, try driving up the Top of the World trail and the ashes can be sprinkled down onto the Fisher Towers...
Ah...... Another Moab aficionado .......

Thanks, I'll pass this on the DW. I figured since I'd be gone, it was HER problem on how to get up there!!!

boowho??
Old 07-15-2015, 05:54 PM   #13

Sorry, I thought you were BooHOO.
Bunci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 05:58 PM   #14

Moab aficionado? You could say so. I lived there for six years; after visiting it for five years straight.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
Old 07-15-2015, 06:15 PM   #15

We are lucky with Yosemite. The best man at our wedding (a longgggg time ago) lives on Groveland. They have room for our unit on their driveway! We always get in a road trip to Yosemite. This will be our third year in a row doing this.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 06:28 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunci View Post
Sorry, I thought you were BooHOO.
Wait..... There's another one???????

Mine is like an old "knock knock" joke....

Knock, Knock..... Who's there??

Boo.......... BooWho??

My handle is actually a question; get it?? Don't asked where it came from.

(signed) Boowho??
Old 07-15-2015, 06:34 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5moab View Post
Moab aficionado? You could say so. I lived there for six years; after visiting it for five years straight.
My favorite CG in that area is Big Bend along UT 128

Boowho??
Old 07-15-2015, 07:52 PM   #18

Big Bend is nice. Now that I'm a visitor to Moab, I usually stay up off of 313 or if I feel like a regular campground, then I head over to Horsethief. Tends to be quieter than the river campgrounds, and the BLM rangers don't come by and harass me.