Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2021, 10:28 AM   #1

Highway 160- Wolf Creek Pass

Traveling from Cortez, Co to Alamoosa on Highway 160 with a 38' Georgetown with tow. Heard about Wolf Creek Pass. Any problems on this route for RVs?
coldj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 02:28 PM   #2

With "enough truck", good brakes, and plenty of patience, there should be no problem.

No problem going slow enough going up, and just watch speed going down.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 02:44 PM   #3

Every year, smi turn over on that pass.

A month ago someone's transmission overheated and blew tranny fluid out, and cought the rig and truck on fire.
Take it easy, check you temps, fun drive for sure.

C.W McCalll - WolfCreek pass

CC75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 03:39 PM   #4

I have towed over it, it is not bad if you just realize you need to take your time and not hold your foot on the floor all the way up. For going down the other side, start out slow and keep the speed down.
2022 F150 Powerboost Hybrid.
DougW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 05:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC75 View Post
Every year, smi turn over on that pass.

A month ago someone's transmission overheated and blew tranny fluid out, and cought the rig and truck on fire.
Take it easy, check you temps, fun drive for sure.

C.W McCalll - WolfCreek pass

I see blown transmissions on mountain passes all over the country. People are often clueless about temperatures. Even to the point of ignoring gauges and warnjng lights. Only thing that gets their attention is steam or smoke.

Old 06-20-2021, 09:13 AM   #6

Wolf Creek is a name that should get your attention.
It is for real especially in winter.
Use your gears, jake brake, whatever you have to control your speed and reduce heat.

Once I came off the Pass around midnight in December in a blizzard. My headlights quit and it was well below zero. The local police in Buena Vista offered us a night in jail. We took them up on it, but they locked us in.
ppine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 03:52 PM   #7

People are often clueless----enough said!!
Old 06-20-2021, 04:31 PM   #8

Wolf Creek Pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppine View Post
Wolf Creek is a name that should get your attention.
It is for real especially in winter.
Use your gears, jake brake, whatever you have to control your speed and reduce heat.

Once I came off the Pass around midnight in December in a blizzard. My headlights quit and it was well below zero. The local police in Buena Vista offered us a night in jail. We took them up on it, but they locked us in.
PPine: Is this a joke or, I will give you the benefit of the doubt, total confusion? Anyone familiar with Wolf Creek Pass & the surrounding area knows it is nowhere near Buena Vista. The first part of your post is spot on.
Lovelandtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 05:13 PM   #9

Going from Cortez to Alamosa the west side of the pass has one hair pin turn and a steep climb to the overlook and a very deceiving "gentle" climb to the summit (5-6% grade). Take it easy and watch the temperatures. Be careful on the downhill side to South Fork. It is deceivingly gentle but watch the brakes and use your engine as a brake.
elchilero53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 10:00 PM   #10

Had my most memorable trip on Wolf Creek some time ago. It was June 8th. Cool and a light drizzle as I started from the east. A foot of snow at the top. Road graders pushing snow off the side of the mountain on the way down. Kinda slick too. I try to pass on the Pass if possible.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 11:32 AM   #11

Wolf creekpass

Not a bad road but steep and high. Your engine will lose power. Several years ago we lived in Littleton. My parents came to visit from California in their new motor home. traffic stopped near the top for road work (always in summer). They didn't have enough power to get started again and highway workers had to tow them to the top. Enough said. Sorry bout the caps!
JimMorrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 05:00 PM   #12

A question for those who frequent Wolf Creek Pass:

When does weather (frost, snow, ice) start to make travel "iffy" over the pass. I may be there in mid September to early October this year so just curious.

Old 06-21-2021, 06:00 PM   #13

Loveland,
Not a joke at all.
Monte Vista was the town.
Buena Vista is in Arizona.
Old 06-21-2021, 06:14 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppine View Post
Loveland,
Not a joke at all.
Monte Vista was the town.
Buena Vista is in Arizona.
There's also a Buena Vista, Colorado 81211 - about 135 miles from Wolf Creek pass.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 06:16 PM   #15

Driven it many times with our rig as we visit Pagosa Springs almost every summer. Slow and easy and stay off the brakes. Troopers love to stop out of state folks so watch your speed.
Roberte52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 06:41 PM   #16

You can have hail and possibly snow in the mountains at any time. We had 2 inches of hail and a little snow a week ago in the Jemez Mountains near Los Alamos at 8500 feet. Wolf Creek Pass is almost 11,000 feet.
medalguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 06:49 PM   #17

PPine I think you’re remembering the drive down 550 from Alamosa down into Poncha Springs. That’s a very steep hill which I’ve driven many times including mid winter. Not quite as bad as Wolf Creek Pass but a close second.
medalguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 06:53 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by medalguy View Post
You can have hail and possibly snow in the mountains at any time. We had 2 inches of hail and a little snow a week ago in the Jemez Mountains near Los Alamos at 8500 feet. Wolf Creek Pass is almost 11,000 feet.
Understand the "showers" . More interested in when the real "Snow Season" starts.

I carry chains for both my 4X4 truck as well as chains for the trailer so if I did get caught I'm prepaired. Won't knowingly drive into snow but not overly afraid of having to drive out of it. Chains are just noisy and require slow driving, not to mention getting wet and dirty putting on and taking off.

Old 06-23-2021, 11:14 AM   #19

in the high passes in Colorado there are plenty of thunderstorms, especially in summer. Hail can cover the road in icy ball bearings.

Snow can occur in any month. I still think Colorado has the toughest roads in America.
Old 06-26-2021, 01:07 PM   #20

TM, generally speaking - there are exceptions every year - there will be snow in the Colorado high country in October. Can be late September, can be Halloween. And great weather the rest of the month. Same with May.

Snow seldom happens in the entire state at the same time. It usually takes a couple of days for a storm to pass over the state - and even then, it may not hit the north or the south.

Be prepared to stop and take cover if there's any indication of strong winds with the snow - it will quickly become "white out" conditions where you can't see the road. I pushed it too hard once, and had to be rescued, spending the night in a shelter.

I can't emphasize this enough - most of October and November are great weather for camping. But when snow hits, get off the road. The roads will be cleared in a day or 2 after the storm, and storms (especially fall storms) only last 12 hours or so.

Stay attuned to the weather, let your plans be changed by the weather, and you will be fine.

Fred W
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote