RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 04-20-2018, 04:51 PM   #21

I love that road. Last time we took it we headed south out of Ely to Tonapah. We were on motorcycles and the guy at the motorcycle shop called ahead to the only gas station on that stretch of road to keep an eye out for us because we would be needing gas. The guy lived there so it was not problem. Antique pumps. My biggest disappointment on the upcoming trip is that we will not be doing Hwy 50. Just top off on fuel when you can. Very beautiful.

2015 23 BD Gray Wolf
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 TX Edition 2015 - 7 nights, 2 trips, 2016 - 2 trip, 24 nights, 2017 1 trip, 3 nights 2018 1 trip, 93 nights

mdstudey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 10:53 AM   #22

Agreed; fill up your tank when you can. I would also try to avoid night driving if possible. Besides the cattle, there's wild horses and plenty of deer. ( I live near hwy. 50 & sadly hear about people hitting the horses on a regular basis.) I just got my vehicle repaired from hitting a deer at night also. Beautiful area though!
mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 11:00 AM   #23
Director, FROG

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecd View Post
I am off topic, but can fanrgs let me know where he got his hands on the two maps, i.e. USA & Canada?

Thanks.
Try Here

Bob Byrne
Director, Forest River Owners' Group (FROG)
frog@forestriverinc.com
www.forestriverfrog.com
F.R.O.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 08:02 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob5560g View Post
I'll soon depart home in southern Oregon for the Moab, Utah area. I have a 25' Forester MBS and tow a Suzuki Sidekick.

I hate driving on the interstate and it looks like US highway 50 runs from near Reno to near Moab. Any advice on that route?

Looks like towns are few and far between, but I almost always boondock anyway, and carry tools, extra supplies, have a WeBoost cell phone booster, keep my water tank full, etc. I drove to Alaska last summer and am very comfortable being out in the boonies.
We went from Reno across to Utah, it's along way but I didn't see hardly enough vehicles to count on both hands. They were not kidding when they told me it was one of the most desolate hwys.
jovett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 11:29 AM   #25
TBarbs

Just did the trip from CO to CA last week and took Hwy 50 from central Utah to Placerville CA. We really liked the road and will do it again. Several beautiful mountain ranges that were just stunning with fresh snow.
We have a F-350 Diesel pulling a 5th wheel. I was glad we had the power as some of the grades are pretty steep. On the downhill sections I used the engine brake and downshifted to keep the speed right and rarely had to use the brakes.
After leaving Longmont Co. We stayed in Greenriver UT, Ely NV, Caronís City NV, then Placerville CA. We arrived in Placerville last Thursday to attend the Eldorado Passport weekend. (Wine tasting!) Great time.
tbarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 12:40 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbarb View Post
Just did the trip from CO to CA last week and took Hwy 50 from central Utah to Placerville CA. We really liked the road and will do it again. Several beautiful mountain ranges that were just stunning with fresh snow.
We have a F-350 Diesel pulling a 5th wheel. I was glad we had the power as some of the grades are pretty steep. On the downhill sections I used the engine brake and downshifted to keep the speed right and rarely had to use the brakes.
After leaving Longmont Co. We stayed in Greenriver UT, Ely NV, Caronís City NV, then Placerville CA. We arrived in Placerville last Thursday to attend the Eldorado Passport weekend. (Wine tasting!) Great time.
I went over Kyburz (Hwy. 50) from Carson City to Placerville a couple weeks ago...the day before a big dump of snow. So glad to have timed
my trip accordingly! Used to drive that in the 60's - still just as beautiful.
This thread has put the rest of Hwy. 50 on my list of future adventures.
Old 05-18-2018, 09:42 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob5560g View Post
Thanks to all for the great guidance folks, this is a great forum for info!

To HighDesert: You said "600 lb cows go whizzing by..". I didn't know they could run that fast!

And to RangeMaggotBob: If you hit and have to pay for a cow on open range, does that mean you own it and can tow it to McDonanlds?
That I don't know!
And new to our family: Daisy May, the Golden Doodle wonderdog!
RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 09:13 AM   #28

Just made the Hwy 50 trip from Lake Tahoe to Moab in our Sunseeker 2400R MBS. No problems at all except light snow over one of the passes. Did not drive at night. Good road conditions all the way. Never let the tank get below 1/2.
Dbrote is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
utah