Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2019, 10:13 AM   #1

Question HWY 97 through Oregon

Hello all!
We are planning on taking our new to us 2018 mini lite from the Sierra Foothills to Seattle soon. Originally thought I-5; but have been on it so many times. We’d like to take 97 all the way through to Washington from Klamath Falls. Any thoughts, reservations about this Hwy? Thank you!
Road dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 02:08 PM   #2

HWY 97 through Oregon

It’s been many years but I enjoyed the route came in from north thru Klamath then to 140 over to Eagle Point
Old 06-21-2019, 02:31 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road dawgs View Post
Hello all!
We are planning on taking our new to us 2018 mini lite from the Sierra Foothills to Seattle soon. Originally thought I-5; but have been on it so many times. We’d like to take 97 all the way through to Washington from Klamath Falls. Any thoughts, reservations about this Hwy? Thank you!
Nope, very good road. Slower and longer than I5 though.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 10:16 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to Keithe Send a message via MSN to Keithe Send a message via Yahoo to Keithe
I would drive 97 over I-5. Beautiful scenery, less traffic and a very good road.
Old 06-22-2019, 10:41 PM   #5

Stop in Bend. Very cool town with some of the best breweries on the West Coast.
Old 06-22-2019, 11:22 PM   #6

Have done it a couple of times. Great road, lovely scenery and very different than along the coast. Crossing the river at Rufus is interesting! When you get to Yakima you have 4 routes to get over to the Seattle area. You could stay on 97 to Leavenworth which is an interesting Bavarian themed town.

We camped in Bend last year for nearly 3 weeks. It was Aug/Sept. and man it was hot! Then we over-nighted in Quincy (WA) and it was even hotter, like 105+!
Old 06-23-2019, 01:12 PM   #7

Take 97! Do some research before you leave as there are some great fairly easy side trips. Also a good number of nice places to camp along the way so give yourself time - or plan to come back. While there are times you'll wonder if you're actually moving it is a great alternative to those other north - south routes to the west.
Dirt Sifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 01:29 PM   #8

Thumbs up

x2 on 97-we use it to traverse from NorCal to Montana every year. Usually overnite in Bend. Very good road with varied scenery.
Old 06-23-2019, 01:46 PM   #9

Hwy. 97

If you have the time you can also visit John Day national monument, and I agree with Leavenworth for a place to visit, some really good food for sure and people say beer too although I don’t drink so I can’t say.
aircommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 01:46 PM   #10

Hwy 97

From a long time resident of the area97 goes through some magnificent country, with incredible side trips and access to distant and beautiful places on the east side of Oregon, but it is also a very dangerous highway. Heavily used by big rigs, who try to pass everyone else at any chance, this highway has more head-inside than most.
It is the main road north and south to Bend, and the Sisters area, with access eastward to John Day, the Steens mountains, Alvord desert, Lake county, and the Snake River. Volcanic features abound, large tracts of Lodgepole pines.
Pay attention, don’t take chances, and you’ll enjoy your trip.
hankpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 01:57 PM   #11

Hwy 97 is a well maintained route that is frequented by lots of trucks.

Wouldn't hesitate to use it during the warmer months although it can get quite warm on that side of the Cascades.

Winter driving can be a lot more hairier than on I-5 however. Temps can get extremely cold and any snow that falls sticks around on the highway as ice.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 01:10 AM   #12

Highway 97 Oregon

Just do it. We are right now. We left Sonoma county on Thursday. First night was Mountain Gate above Redding. Then on to Big Pines in Crescent OR, now over off of 84 along the Columbia River.

Great road. As someone else said lots to see and go just off the road.
vlosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 06:09 PM   #13

97 is a good road, can have a lot of traffic as it is a main road north sound thru central Oregon. Most of it is 2 lane with frequent passing lanes. Lots of big rig traffic and the occasional crazies who only now one speed - fast and pass everything. It is a better road condition than I5 - lot smoother. You won't really hit any traffic until you get around Sunriver, then it start to get heavy all the way through Bend and Redmond. Once you hit Madras, you have two choices to go north and the scenery is gorgeous from Klamath Falls north as you will see everything from forests to deserts, canyons volcanic remnants. We live just outside of Bend and wouldn't be anywhere else! Watch you speed coming through Redmond as the cops really like to write tickets. Fridays and any weekday after 11, traffic is heavy through Bend and Redmond.
2008 Jeep JKS
Ready Brute Elite / Blue Ox BP
High Desert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 05:22 PM   #14

Just returned from an Oregon trip and from Portland area did Hwy 26 to Hwy 97 to I5 at Weed. Really enjoyed this Hwy 97 section of road. Much easier to drive than I5. Not as much of a winding road as I5 with plenty of passing lanes to let the impatient pass you. ^ post above said it well.
GMC Sierra 2500
Scott V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 09:51 AM   #15

Many thanks!

Thanks for all of the responses! We took 97 out of Weed, and enjoyed it thoroughly. So much more pleasant the congestion on I-5. We want to do it again all the way into B.C. We stayed in some beautiful State Parks along the route, Oregon and Washington have California beat in this department. We stayed at Cove Palisades near Culver, OR, Maryville SP right on the WA side of the Columbia, and Lake Easton SP near Roslyn before heading west into Seattle. Each of these parks were unique and well maintained, with extraordinary natural features. We also found that coming into Seattle from the east to be a lot less stressful than from the south.
Road dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 09:59 AM   #16

Yes. I drive it once a year. I used to take I-5 to Seattle but the traffic is terrible. I don't like the rain and fog. I cross the Columbia at Goldendale and then cross the Yakima Indian Res to the interstate and drop into Seattle over Snoqualmie Pass. Much more relaxing.

Coming from Nevada, Bend is around half way. I like to stop there, and often sleep in the Fremont NF south of town. Good logging roads to get off the highway.
ppine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 06:04 PM   #17

We just returned from a 3 & 1/2 week trip to the Canadian Rockies. From the Napa Valley we took 5 to Weed and then 97 all the way up through Oregon, Washington, Idaho and into Canada. Easy road and had a great trip. After the Canadian Rockies stoped in Bellingham WA and then had to get through Seattle and Tacoma on 405 and 5. Ugh! Traffic was not great.
As stated above we did hit some slow travel through Bend and Redmond.
Dbrote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 11:08 PM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbrote View Post
We just returned from a 3 & 1/2 week trip to the Canadian Rockies. From the Napa Valley we took 5 to Weed and then 97 all the way up through Oregon, Washington, Idaho and into Canada. Easy road and had a great trip. After the Canadian Rockies stoped in Bellingham WA and then had to get through Seattle and Tacoma on 405 and 5. Ugh! Traffic was not great.
As stated above we did hit some slow travel through Bend and Redmond.
The DW's family lives in Washington. When we drove up from Napa, we would take 97 to visit those on the East side of the Cascades and I5 to visit those on the West side.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote